The most comfortable pipe in the world...$25.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting observation on breaking in a cob. Can't say I've ever experienced any problem/difficulties with a cob/apple/maple/olivewood/rosewood, etc. 'Course I'm still trying to figure out what "ganja" is???!!! FTRPLT

Ganja
ganja.jpg

Can't say I've ever experienced any problem/difficulties with a cob/apple/maple/olivewood/rosewood, etc.
With the exception of meerschaum, every pipe I've ever smoked, when new, has been a tongue scorcher. The wood or cob is burning! Hot........I can't even taste the tobacco in The Chub, just burning cob.

To quote Mr. Spock..."Fascinating!" I totally agree briar's a bitch to break in most of the time; the others have never gotten my attention as "tongue scorchers!!" Interesting, very interesting!! FTRPLT

With the exception of meerschaum, every pipe I've ever smoked, when new, has been a tongue scorcher. The wood or cob is burning! Hot........I can't even taste the tobacco in The Chub, just burning cob.
You have to keep in mind, I'm a:
benny-the-pussy-cat-terri-waters.jpg

Hilarious, MM! Can't blame them if they want to maintain, or likely even grow, their business. I think I'd have an issue with this, and not because of pot use, but rather because corps going out of their lane and driving the small businesses away, but unless some celebrity posts smoking out of a cob on their instagram or writing a hit lyric about cobs, there's such a small chance of it substantially affecting MM and their legacy (hate to say that, because legacy concerns are usually gross), that it strikes me as a small outreach into a new market. Diatribe done...and still funny stuff!

After smoking four bowls in The Chub, it's coming around. Usually when I break in a cob, I "season" the bowl with a lining of pipe mud. For me that's cigar ash mixed with a little water and simple syrup. I simply forgot to do it with this pipe. I'd spent too much time filing the acrylic stem to make it fit and forgot about the pipe mud.

After smoking four bowls in The Chub, it's coming around. Usually when I break in a cob, I "season" the bowl with a lining of pipe mud. For me that's cigar ash mixed with a little water and simple syrup. I simply forgot to do it with this pipe. I'd spent too much time filing the acrylic stem to make it fit and forgot about the pipe mud.
Just smoke a couple bowls of CH. It will cake up in no time.

I just noticed that The Chub has a hole drilled in the side. Does anyone know why?
In the water pipes or bongs I've seen used to smoke weed, there is usually a hole in the stem called a carb. The smoker covers the hole with their thumb and smokes the bowl, then removes their thumb from covering the hole to quickly clear the water chamber of smoke.

In this instance, I have no idea why that hole is there. I have a couple of theories but they don't really work for me.

(No idea why the double quotes peeps.)

Last edited:
The Chub is well broken in, but still smokes hot. I'm pretty certain it's because of the small bowl.

The Chub is well broken in, but still smokes hot. I'm pretty certain it's because of the small bowl.
Steve, what are you smoking in it? Maybe try some PA, never had it smoke hot in any of my pipes, even the Butz Choquin or the Cheapie Road Town that both tend to burn hot.