The Murdock Mysteries

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
We binge watch things on a regular basis. The most recent is a Canadian show, “The Murdoch Mysteries”. Circa 1900...Toronto, Canada. More fun than a barrel of badges. Strong hints of Sherlock Holmes, MacGyver & CSI rolled into one very charming bundle. A whole lotta blood, very few guns, always a few bodies laying around and hijinks galore around the old station house. Well, whatever. Highly recommended. 14 seasons. 18 episodes per season. You do the math.

2BFB354A-5B0E-4C58-85DB-C4C03B871F58.jpeg

A stalwart on our local PBS station. ACORN does several series. I particularly enjoy "Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries." FTRPLT
Whoops!! I lied!!! Murdoch is presented on one of our independent stations here. Phryne is on PBS!!

Last edited:
Oh yeah...the inimitable Phryne the flapper! Yup...great one. Watched ‘em all. From OZ. Couldn’t be more different in terms of the overall ethic of the show. Murdock is on the cusp between Victorian and Edwardian with very restrictive social mores. Miss Fisher is the exploding freedom of the 20’s personified. In Murdock’s Canada the glimpse of a bare ankle is scandalous...but Phryne is sleeping around all the time! What a difference just 20 years can make.

One thing about Murdock...the dresses the cast wears (the ones with money) are drop dead gorgeous. I remember my mother used to be in a “society” to care for the fine old home of a famous local doctor of years gone by. The group put on an annual fund raiser...a formal “tea” during which all the members served while wearing antique heirloom dresses. They were very hard to locate, obtain and care for. But they were quite breathtaking. Watching Murdock always reminds me of that. Interesting.

D984E437-DD94-4C40-83D9-88E5629F2C19.jpeg