The Natch Files

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a few for today:

SG Firedance Flake

At first I was sure that this one was not for me. Perfumy without any tobaccoey goodness...I got through about 1/4 the bowl and just set it down.... And I'm glad i did. When I woke up this morning and went out to walk the dogs, I brought this with me, since it was ready to go. Complete 180. a GREAT outside smoke. The crisp air diffused some of the incense notes and really allowed me to enjoy this as a mellow smoke.

SG FVF

Wow. A Special thanks, Natch, for this one. I have been putting this off to try because of the constant raves. This is a Man's Tobacco. Everything I want out of a VA. I don't feel the need to expound because it TRUELY Speaks for itself.... Now if I could only FIND it to get MORE!!!

Guffy's Morning Mix

In my bowl right now as I type. From the bag and upon lighting, a nice peatiness that belies the Latakia, but this is actually a light english, fit for an early morning smoke. The strength dissapated into a nice mildness after the second light. I couldn't find any reviews/ sources/ anything about it on line, so what is this stuff? Natch, YOU sent it to me... any more info?

Mac Baren Navy Flake

I will keep this one brief, only because I had a tin of Plumcake before, and the Navy Flake is REALLY similar here. Yes, you get a little more control by being able to rub it out to your own specifications because of the flake cut, but the Plumcake just takes the guesswork out for me, and I like that "little extra" latakia in the background of the plum, so if I had to choose between the two, Plumcake wins. Luckily, I now have both, so I don't have to choose. Nice, huh?

C&D Guilford Courthouse

I forgot about this one yesterday. I really like how this "featured" the orientals. Sweet and sour with a little of an oily texture in the mouthfeel. I dont see this ever making "the rotation," but definitely educational.

Patton's VA Squire

I haven't even got to the bottom of this bowl and I feel the need to expound. John does amazing things with the leaf. 10% burley according to 4noggins, which gives a little body and nuttiness to the sweet VAs. My only complaint is that this stuff isn't everywhere (has he ever given an explanation as to why?) He is quickly becoming my favorite blender. Mr. Pease: if you are reading, please don't be offended because I haven't yet tried any of yours!!

jefe1037":3rcil4vj said:
Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme

The lavender kept coming out as a "perfuminess;" is this the oriental?
Yep. To me Orientals clearly manifest themselves in a blend in 2 ways: This and Sweet and sour like sweet and sour pork. Try Rattray's Red Rapparee For that experience. There are a lot of other oriental tastes that are subtler. Everyone should smoke through the line of McClelland's orientals at some point IMHO.

jefe1037":b8l7j5tk said:
Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme

My first Balkan. I really kept getting a lavender not from this one, with the latakia smoldering underneath. This really had a silkiness to the smoke that was a first for me. The lavender kept coming out as a "perfuminess;" is this the oriental?
Having smoked Oriental heavy blends for years, I've never encountered any aroma/scent/taste in a perfume manner. They usually present more of a spicy/peppery/smoky aroma/flavor. Try some McClellans Oriental #14 or Peretti's Royal Blend for a much truer "Balkan/Oriental" blend.

What some describe as "perfume," others describe as "church incense." I would call it much closer to Myrrh than lavender, but I get it from several blends.

Zanaspus":zxi0wplc said:
What some describe as "perfume," others describe as "church incense." I would call it much closer to Myrrh than lavender, but I get it from several blends.
This. I think they actually use frankincense in churches most of the time FWIW.

PS Luxury BF and TF, CD Epiphany, Penzance, Dan's Sweet Vanilla honeydew notes to come.

Wifey's back in town, so the free time just disappeared.

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

I wanted to try this one from the getgo... it just looks so cool. I read around and basically decided to just fold it and stuff it. I think it worked. Great smoke, needed a little coaxing to get lit (expected) Perique and cav just rounded out the virginias. This is on my "A List"

PS Lux Twist Flake

The luxury line is a real treat. Simpler than the bullseye, but really letting the smoothness of the virginias showcase themselves.

Penzance

This is a great tobacco, dont get me wrong, but I get a bitter taste from this one (metaphorically). This is a knock your socks off english. The raves are founded in fact. The scarcity... this is what I have a problem with (see Boswell Pipe Flame War) Good for them for creating a high-demand product. I won't be going out of my way to get my hands on it. If its in stock, and I'm at the store, I will buy it... and probably sell it on ebay for double. I would rather have a pound something else than a tin of Penzance.

Dan Tobacco Sweet honeydew vanilla

Good smoking, exactly what the title says. Sweet, though not cloying. Vanilla: check. Melon -- a stretch but maybe two or three puffs I could find a little melon and tropical fruit note. I enjoyed the smoke, but couldn't bring myself to spend money on a whole tin to smoke it once or twice a year.