The New Bengal Slices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj1015

Reaction score
Well, Russ Oulette's new blend, Fusilier's Ration, has hit the shelves and several tins are on their way to my mailbox....

This is supposedly Russ' nod to the old Bengal Slices. It's described as an oriental-forward latakia mixture pressed and then topped with some kind of a light floral essence.

I'm looking forward to this one more than I've looked forward to a new blend in quite awhile...

I'm planning on giving this blend a try in Richmond. I'm looking forward to it. The original Bengal Slices was one of my favorite smokes. I hope this one is a good match.

I hope it's akin to the Bengal Slices Aromatic that once was made. I quite enjoyed it. Not really an "aromatic" in my mind, but it added a pleasant taste to the smoke.

Natch

Fusilier's Ration was targeted at the original Bengal Slices in the black tin. Frankly, the shop I worked at in the seventies never carried the aromatic, so I never tried it. Early reaction has been better than I could have imagined.

Russ

I look forward to hearing some feedback on this one. Lancer Slices is also a remake is it not? I'd enjoy hearing about a comparison between LS and FR.

If it's a "scented" type tobacco and gentle, like Erinmore (specifying genre only, not flavor/smell) I'm curious about it.

8)

Kyle Weiss":w9hc99or said:
If it's a "scented" type tobacco and gentle, like Erinmore (specifying genre only, not flavor/smell) I'm curious about it.

8)
Bengal Slices was MORE than just a "...scented type and gentle" it was a really nice Va/Lat bac. It will be interesting what he comes up with as it's along the lines of the famous 759 :p Here's Greg's take on http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=80it: You may like it :p

I'm looking forward to this one. Very timely, too, because my stock of Bengal Slices is reduced to 4 tins.

I'd like to hear how Fusilier's and Lancer's compare because I think Va/Lat flakes are great. I never got the chance to try the original Bengal Slices.

Actually any tobacco that uses the name "slices" sounds tasty. Great word! :cheers:

I'm looking forward to trying Fusilier's Ration, even though I never tried Bengal Slices.

Have fond memories of Bengal Slices. Last I had a tin was over 10 yrs ago when I was really into Lat-forward blends. Just might have to check Fusilier's Ration out.

Cheers,

RR

Is there anyway to tell if a tin is from the old formula, prior to Russ getting access to the actual recipe? Does the new formula have any different markings, dates, etc?

*apologies for the double post, but just in case other users not included in the other thread are receiving thread notifications, I'm posting here as well.

Yo Zeno

The new Bengal Slices from Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania was worked on by RussO too. This time he had the benefit of live (aged) tins of some versions of the original. There was also a panel of puffers who had themselves puffed versions of the original, and the prototypes were developed through that process. It is amazing to me that RussO created FR working essentially just through memory. But he is remarkable with his palate and huge ability to discern flavors and tastes, and translate that into eminently smokable product. I stock both in my Top200 Cellar, since I do find subtle differences between them.

hp
les

lestrout":r8zyjv9h said:
Yo Zeno

The new Bengal Slices from Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania was worked on by RussO too. This time he had the benefit of live (aged) tins of some versions of the original. There was also a panel of puffers who had themselves puffed versions of the original, and the prototypes were developed through that process. It is amazing to me that RussO created FR working essentially just through memory. But he is remarkable with his palate and huge ability to discern flavors and tastes, and translate that into eminently smokable product. I stock both in my Top200 Cellar, since I do find subtle differences between them.

hp
les
Thanks. Unfortunately, I didn't find the new BS to be much like old BS at all. Oh well. I hope someone else takes a stab at it.

Zeno Marx":c1id2u2e said:
lestrout":c1id2u2e said:
Yo Zeno

The new Bengal Slices from Standard Tobacco of Pennsylvania was worked on by RussO too.  This time he had the benefit of live (aged) tins of some versions of the original.  There was also a panel of puffers who had themselves puffed versions of the original, and the prototypes were developed through that process.  It is amazing to me that RussO created FR working essentially just through memory.  But he is remarkable with his palate and huge ability to discern flavors and tastes, and translate that into eminently smokable product.  I stock both in my Top200 Cellar, since I do find subtle differences between them.

hp
les
Thanks.  Unfortunately, I didn't find the new BS to be much like old BS at all.  Oh well.  I hope someone else takes a stab at it.
I recently, somewhere (though I cannot remember), saw a chart of Bengal Slice's history, which is directly linked with Balkan Sobranie and Penzance.

Edit:

Found it.

ohjnhf10.png

It helps to age that stuff before packaging in the same kind of dank and musty basements. So they get that funkiness aspect that just cannot be replicated.