The official BoB 2015 pipe of the year.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Our POY projects always seem to take a different direction every year, usually arising from inspiration from a member or a carver or a moderator. Last year we had Scottie come to us with a proposition that was very well receieved, before that there was the Brigham pipe that Kaiser put together, one year Carlos came back from the Chicago show inspired and collaborated with Mark Tinsky to come up with a cool squat rhodesian. This year we (the mod team) hadn't even talked about it, but some of you mentioned it and showed interest, and I didn't want to let you all down.

Honestly the biggest headache with these things is the time and debate involved. This year we just didn't want to do that, go through the motions of all that. So, I said Screw It! I'm going to do this the easiest way I know of. I spoke briefly with the other mods and during that conversation the subject of doing a tribute to the classic Dunhill shape 48 saddle stemmed bulldog came up. PB said something to the effect that everyone has their favorite shapes but few dislike a bulldog. Amen to that.

One other thought, we believe these pipes hit the sweet spot with pricing for a hand made pipe. No, they are not as inexpensive as a Savinelli or Peterson, but they are a lot less than what a lot of other carvers are charging and we think they are a real bargain. Marks work is excellent.

So, a few emails with Mark Tinsky talking about the shape, a couple of quick mock-ups, a choice with a few refinements, and voila! An interpretation from one of Americas most solid carvers on a classic. We present to you, the Brothers of Briar 2015 Pipe of the Year, a tribute to the classic English Bulldog.

Marks coral carve will be $170, a sandblast will be $195, and a smooth $235. The pipes will have Marks logo and stampings with the addition of BOB 2015 stamped on the pipe. You can simply order from his web store or shoot him an email if you have any specific questions or requests.

We hope you enjoy them and can add one to your stable. The pipes can be found here:

http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Pipes/Club-Pipes/

image27.jpg

image28.jpg

I am going to have to have one of these babies, even if it hairlips the commander in chief!

Nice shape. Contacted Mark about the weight of the pipe. I'm hoping it's in the vicinity of what I prefer.

My wife would go Lorena Bobbitt on me if I spent that much on a pipe.....

Dammit!

For anyone curious, the pipe is expected to be around 6" in length and 1.7 ounces in weight.

Too large for my taste personally, but it is a nice looking pipe.

Hermit":vbeobq6w said:
Puff Daddy":vbeobq6w said:
It would make a nice Christmas present to yourself, ya know? ;)

More likely a Labor Day Present.   :twisted:
Which would strategically leave the door open for another pipe come Christmas! ;)

I love Mark's work and this pipe is, to me, right smack dab on the mark. It's not cheap, but it's one I would own with pride. I'm glad that the coral carve (lovin' it) is the one with the lowest tag...so classic.

Wiz - you need to read up on Pat McManus...sneakin' new guns into the house past the wife is very much like a new pipe I'm thinkin'. Even though it's kinda small to disguise as a "pipe lamp" it might lend itself to some unique and effective subterfuge. lol

All versions of this pipe are now available, and if there's something a little different you want give Mark a shout. I got mine with a golden brown coral finish and a tortoise acrylic stem. The shape is defined but the finish possibilities are quite variable.

http://webshop.amsmoke.com/Pipes/Club-Pipes/

image15.jpg

Ozark Wizard":99h12swm said:
My wife would go Lorena Bobbitt on me if I spent that much on a pipe.....

Dammit!
Sleep on your belly and you'll be just fine. :lol!:

I love that POY! I wants one!

Yes! These are lovely pipes! I hope I will be able to swing the purchase of one. Nice job guys :)