The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can certainly always use another Falcon bowl! This was an excellent idea :D

Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie? Or anyone.
I mean I know they form pipes out of them, I guess what I'm asking is how would the imprint be legable from more than 6 white boy inches from your eyeballs.

Dumb questions but I want to do it right.

puros_bran":xi6boqit said:
Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie?  Or anyone.  
I mean I know they form pipes out of them, I guess what I'm asking is how would the imprint be legable from more than 6 white boy inches from your eyeballs.

I was looking at that and also the rusticated bowls. Once I can get the fine tuning on the text going on them, I have a few bowls around that I will practice on. I get hung up on refining the work before I just start throwing down on a project. I feel if I can remove what I need from the field then the lettering would remain raised, and thus might be more visible. Obviously the more extreme the texture of the bowl, the less likely it would look like anything but a flaw in the texture.

Of course, if someone was looking for a wrap around billboard, an appropriate shade of nail polish in the carving would really make it pop!:D

Blackhorse did mention earlier that the bowls would be smooth sided. But let me play around with it and I'll get back to you...............

Wowee-zowee.....looks like we're spoiled for choices here!  :eek:

Too many great combinations to make and I'd easily choose 4 or 5 right off the bat. Love the morta bowls.

Right now I'm leaning towards either a meer-lined smooth bowl or all meer bowl, with a bent stem. But those straight Shillelagh stems are the bees knees, including and especially the one with a white bit. Yet it seems like the white bit model is oos on the GQ site. Am I reading this wrong? Glynn is the only one who seemed to offer this.

Too many choices!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

OK boys, before you all go haring off over field and fen...

At this time rusticated bowls are not approved for fabricating the POY. That's not likely to change. Regardless of Mr. Wizard's skill and willingness to accommodate members, the concept is a smooth bowl with the "BoB 2016 POY" engraved into the bowl material...as opposed to letters standing out in relief.

Um, we also do not approve the use of rhinestones or electricity in any form.

And no, you cannot make a pipe out of a petrified toad.

Blackhorse":2r5umq28 said:

At this time rusticated bowls are not approved for fabricating the POY. That's not likely to change. Regardless of Mr. Wizard's skill and willingness to accommodate members, the concept is a smooth bowl with the "BoB 2016 POY" engraved into the bowl material...as opposed to letters standing out in relief.

Right, so morta is out owing to it's nature....if I have this right. Got it.

T'was already gravitating to a smooth bowl anyway so it's NBD.

Cheers,

RR

Puff Daddy":ssbdee3n said:
Brewdude --  http://m.ebay.com/itm/FALCON-pipe-Shillelagh-stem-Chrome-color-tube-White-mouthpiece-New-and-RARE-/131876892898?nav=SEARCH

The Shillelagh stems can be hard to come by. Some with the colored tubes are available here and there, seems the simpler ones like the above are relegated to ebay at a higher price. I was looking for a straight shillelagh with black tube and black mouthpiece and can't find one anywhere.
Thanks bro.

Cheers,

RR

(groan). Morta is fine. There's nothing in its nature that makes it verboten. It's wood. It can be engraved just like Briar or Olive or whatever. I think it was someone's interpretation that incised letters on the dark wood wouldn't show up well. Nothing wrong with a more subdued look. That's artistic preference.

Blackhorse":k7jsy3xa said:

Works for me!

Soooo, no peel and stick glow in the dark stars either, I suppose. :lol!:

Blackhorse":n4zls2i4 said:
(groan). Morta is fine. There's nothing in its nature that makes it verboten. It's wood. It can be engraved just like Briar or Olive or whatever. I think it was someone's interpretation that incised letters on the dark wood wouldn't show up well. Nothing wrong with a more subdued look. That's artistic preference.
Thanks for the clarification BH. I do like to get these thing right.

Cheers,

RR

puros_bran":2pw7z9l6 said:
Can you safely carve Morta Ozzie?  Or anyone.  

I just want to point out, and this is not necessarily in relation to PB's post, that Chris Askwith has some nice looking Falcon bowls. I'm sure, if you so wished, you could contact him to make you a smooth Olivewood, Morta, or Briar. They're reasonably priced too, at least in my opinion.