The Official BoB 2016 Pipe of the Year thread.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so here's my take on the Falcon block meerschaum bowl I got from mysmokingshop in the UK.

A smooth Algiers block meerschaum bowl, aprox 22mm inside diameter and 29mm deep. It's a good looking bowl, no defects, has a plastic or nylon collar attached to the bottom that has threads on it. Price was very good, delivery to California took 5 days.

When I went to thread it onto the Falcon it would not go on, kept popping out to the side. I thought I had a defective one so I emailed the vendor and got a speedy response. With their offer to replace the bowl came a bit of information I was unaware of - These block meerschaum bowls have a 2 point thread, not the standard Falcon 4 point thread (meaning there are half as many starting points to the threads). I got out a lamp and magnifier and found that my particular bowl simply had a very small blockage at the beginning of one of the thread starts that I easily cleared, and the bowl now mounts properly on the Falcon stem.

One thing worth noting - The briar Falcon bowls with standard 4 point threads go on so easily you could do it with your eyes closed. The 2 point threads on the meerschaum bowls take some patience and a few attempts to get the threads started just right, and then they screw down well. They are just a bit fidgetty and require some patient attention. Still, they do work, and are secure, and my bowl smokes very, very well.

So there it is. I'm happy with it and will buy more.

Puff Daddy":hjzlrx26 said:
OK so here's my take on the Falcon block meerschaum bowl I got from mysmokingshop in the UK.

A smooth Algiers block meerschaum bowl, aprox 22mm inside diameter and 29mm deep. It's a good looking bowl, no defects, has a plastic or nylon collar attached to the bottom that has threads on it. Price was very good, delivery to California took 5 days.

When I went to thread it onto the Falcon it would not go on, kept popping out to the side. I thought I had a defective one so I emailed the vendor and got a speedy response. With their offer to replace the bowl came a bit of information I was unaware of - These block meerschaum bowls have a 2 point thread, not the standard Falcon 4 point thread (meaning there are half as many starting points to the threads). I got out a lamp and magnifier and found that my particular bowl simply had a very small blockage at the beginning of one of the thread starts that I easily cleared, and the bowl now mounts properly on the Falcon stem.

One thing worth noting - The briar Falcon bowls with standard 4 point threads go on so easily you could do it with your eyes closed. The 2 point threads on the meerschaum bowls take some patience and a few attempts to get the threads started just right, and then they screw down well. They are just a bit fidgetty and require some patient attention. Still, they do work, and are secure, and my bowl smokes very, very well.

So there it is. I'm happy with it and will buy more.
That..........is very timely info PD. I appreciate the intel amigo.

8)

Blackhorse":hjzlrx26 said:
'm sitting here looking at a new $350 set of stainless steel cookware, sitting on a new $5000 quartz countertop in a new $10,000 kitchen with all new designer appliances...and I get "the look" for buying a $50 pipe.

Good thing she's worth it.
Dave, looks like you got a major remodel in motion. I don't envy your situation. Been there, done that, didn't get the t-shirt. Didn't have a SWMBO then either, but suffered through it just the same!

:monkey:

Cheers,

RR

Hey...P Doody -

How about some PHOTOS?

You know...posted here, of your new pipe thing with the Meerschaum block bowl of two threads and the stem of perfect color.

Photos. Need photos. Many photos.

The stem of perfect color has not arrived yet. At present I am using the bent Extra brown anondized stem which I like, but I ordered a chrome tubed white stemmed Shillelagh for the meer bowl. When everything is here I will post pics.

Most likely will be sending the Hunter Dublin bowl for POY engraving.

Just took delivery of the Meer 'doggy bowl and a pack of dry rings. Ordered from Tobaccopipes in FL, and have to say I'm well pleased with their CS. FL to WA in 2 days is pretty impressive and I didn't even pay for priority shipping - this was the free shipping option so it went 1st Class! Packaged very well indeed too.

The bowl looks great, and I now see what PD was referring to with the plastic threaded bottom attachment. Doesn't look like that will be any kind of problem with damaging the meer.

The stem has been shipped so that should come soon as well. Once I have it and attach the bowl I'll mark it off as Ozzie suggested and send it off to him for engraving.  Coolio!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Sounds excellent in all regards.

Please - do not ship anything before September 1...the official start date. Sounds like that should be pretty much on target for you.

Also, remember to ask Ozzie to take photos of yours for posting here. I know you are photo challenged...right? In fact, you might consider sending both your stem and bowl in so as to allow project photos to be obtained.

Why is that important? Remember I mentioned there would be a CONTEST surrounding the POY! To qualify for entry you need to have photos of your POY posted.

Blackhorse":9jsxnnzn said:
Sounds excellent in all regards.

Please - do not ship anything before September 1...the official start date. Sounds like that should be pretty much on target for you.

Also, remember to ask Ozzie to take photos of yours for posting here. I know you are photo challenged...right?  In fact, you might consider sending both your stem and bowl in so as to allow project photos to be obtained.

Why is that important?  Remember I mentioned there would be a CONTEST surrounding the POY! To qualify for entry you need to have photos of your POY posted.
Roger all that. So it shall be asked, so it shall be done.

:king:

Cheers,

RR

Indeed. Contest. Coolest POY as voted by members...a juried presentation of possibles will be presented for voting by members. Contest will be run in November, or maybe a little later.

Stay tuned

Well then, I suppose I need a meerschaum bowl! An apple perhaps? I must shop with stealth.

The Blackhorse tester kit arrived today. Tomorrow I set up the tools!

A wicked skinning blade, some Bob's Choc. Flake, Zulu, and Cabbie's Mixture were included! Sweet!

Oh, and of course, the first victim/candidate...............

Weird...but excellent. My meer Bulldog bowl and the twisty stem with the white bit came in at the same moment.  Both are wonderful and work perfectly...bowl glides onto the threads with silken ease and the draw is free and clear. Sweet. All I need now is a white dinner jacket.

IMG_2678__81970.1466523557.1280.1280.JPG

s-l1600.jpg" style="width: 450px;height: 400px

Just took delivery of the all-black anodized stem - from Estonia! Ordered it through Amazon from a place called The Nordic Store, but had no idea where they were located. Took just under weeks to reach me.

Anyhow it looks great, and now I can get everything sent off to Ozzie for engraving. Whoo-hoo!

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Ozark Wizard":ffmecoje said:
The Blackhorse tester kit arrived today. Tomorrow I set up the tools!

A wicked skinning blade, some Bob's Choc. Flake, Zulu, and Cabbie's Mixture were included! Sweet!

Oh, and of course, the first victim/candidate...............
Any pics of the inaugural engraving yet Ozzie?  Enquiring minds, and all that.

My Tuxedo Falcon is now in your capable hands, and I have great expectations based on your demonstrated skills!

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

I will post some pics of the test on the Morrow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did want me to break in this fine Meer with all Lakeland and Latakia, right?

:lol!:

This is the first test run. Lately I've been writing in cursive with a diamond engraving tool to get the 'flow' down.