The Official Gawith & Hoggarth Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks blackhorse! are all the twists smokeable? it says chewing tobacco but can also be smoked. Anyone know how the compare to the ropes?

I'm thinking DrT999 would know far better than I, but my understanding is that they (twists, pigtail, rope, etc.) are all very much alike except in diameter. They might have different ratios of leaf to rib to whatever other plant parts they spin up on those machines...but I think they're quite similar.

Bugsahearn":94t7sr91 said:
thanks blackhorse! are all the twists smokeable? it says chewing tobacco but can also be smoked. Anyone know how the compare to the ropes?
As far as I know, all of the twists are smokeable. The pigtails are traditionally used for chewing, but they're made up of the same tobaccos as the larger ropes and twists, so there's no reason one would be unable to smoke them. The only difference should be the diameter.

Those twists/pigtails are as smokable as the GH twists sold as pipe tobacco -- in some cases they are the same thing, just packaged slightly differently. Some of the little packages of 'chewing pigtails' sold at Mr Snuff are actually the larger twists, sometimes the thinner pigtails

They're all good! I think the sweet rum the best, but to each their own

Sweet Rum is my favorite (so far) as well.

Note: If you've never tried the "sweet" twists...they are not really sweet, in the USA aromatic sense. It's just that they have the edge taken off and a slight scent/flavor added. Think of Dark Flake/Plug as being the base...then make it not quite so sharp. I love Dark Flake both scented and unscented, but I love the sweet twists as well.Still strong and robust, they are a bit more approachable. I've tried the Rum and Whiskey...both good. The Maple should be good...the Cocoanut just seems weird...and those are the commonly available ones in the US. Mr. Snuff has other scentings...yeah, it would be fun to try, but I have a daughter in college and have to make prudent decisions as I'm retired and have multiple passions. lol

Bugsahearn":9cmeoz7y said:
Anyone smoked some of the rarer GH blends like Sliced Cinnamon Twist, Cherry Cream Flake, Dark Plug Rose, Kendal Aniseed Black Pigtail, Coffee Pigtail, and my favorite sounding Brown Irish Twist Licorice Plum!! Wow! I think I could keep myself occupied forever if I lived in Kendal.
Now if only someone that would sell to the US market would carry the new Brown Irish Sweet Chocolate Rose.... The place I first convinced to import Grasmere seems out of business the last few times I checked; but I'll find someone!

Just like ALL the McC's 'baccy has that ketchup essence, ALL the Lakeland stuff has that Old Ladies Soap essence in it!! I'll take ketchup over that any day!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

And as usual monblablabla is full of it.  lol

Please get over yourself, stop trolling re these blends and try to remember that Lakeland is a geographic designation, not a content description. Many of the blends produced in the Lakeland district are straight as an arrow...no scenting at all.

monbla256":updfrywe said:
Just like ALL the McC's 'baccy has that ketchup essence, ALL the Lakeland stuff has that Old Ladies Soap essence  in it!! I'll take ketchup over that any day!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
To each their own preferences. You're welcome to your unnatural ketchup; just leave me my natural botanicals ;)

But he should troll accurately...re his defamations and/or at least avoid the mixed metaphors.

1. Accuracy issue: already dealt with, partially.
2. Mixing: the old ladies soap thing...being a meld of the aspersion re: a soap like flavor and the old lady thing (the correct slur is that the scent is akin to the parfum used by old ladies to mask the unfortunate aroma of their unchanged undies).

I mean, if someone is taking the trouble to troll re some of the finest and arguably most popular blends in the world, thereby risking their membership, they should at least do so properly.

Blackhorse":ngqzmuzq said:
But he should troll accurately...re his defamations and/or at least avoid the mixed metaphors.

1. Accuracy issue:  already dealt with, partially.
2. Mixing:  the old ladies soap thing...being a meld of the aspersion re: a soap like flavor and the old lady thing (the correct slur is that the scent is akin to the parfum used by old ladies to mask the unfortunate aroma of their unchanged undies).

I mean, if someone is taking the trouble to troll re some of the finest and arguably most popular blends in the world, thereby risking their membership, they should at least do so properly.
So if I don't like or find THESE blends to my liking, I can't be a member of THIS forum. I wondered when THE APPOVED 'baccys thing would come up. Sorry, I STILL find the 'baccys from the boys in KC SUPERIOR to much of the Brit stuff. Besides most though I know not all of the well vaunted "classics" are not made as where they were and now come from a large tobacco blending conglomerate, as much of what we purchase these days does, as that's just the way it is. And if one can't express anything contrary to the company line , this really has become a place not to be and I now understand why some of the more interesting folks who used to be here have left. :twisted: :twisted:

Monbla -

Trying to side step the obvious issue here won't work. Please don't try to stir up further trouble and then dance away claiming, er, whatever it is you're claiming. Typical and transparent.

The issue was trolling. Pure and simple. Trying to create discord and promote disharmony via your post. It's not allowed. Period. If, as might be perceived from your comment, what you find interesting (like those who have left or been banned?) is the discord and disharmony created via festive trolling...please do that elsewhere.

We don't care what you like to smoke, there's no party line re any of that nonsense, etc. I assume, of course, you know that.

I strongly recommend that you not continue to dig the hole deeper and deeper here. If you have issues with me or my comments here I further recommend that you deal with it via PM to me as opposed to the public forum.

I'll remind you once that calling out a Moderator in a public forum is grounds for immediate banning.

Thanks for the info I'm going to try the licorice twists. I have some black cherry twist was has a nice cherry flavor and also some maple twist which is yum but the maple flavor is very slight. Has anyone tried the SG aromatic ropes? How do they compare in flavor/topping amount to the GH ropes?

I'm sure I'll be disappointed that the licorice flavor is only minimal but maybe the aniseed will be a bit heavier. There are very few Gawith blends I don't like and there always a great smoke either way. I don't think monbla is saying anything too bad. He doesn't like lakeland that's understandable. I can't stand ketchup on my fries let alone in my pipe and the last mcclelland blend I tried was 3 cherry. It's disgusting. But I sure do love lakeland toppings. I could even stand for the ennerdale topping to be about 5 times stronger.