The pipe that didn't want to be

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jogilli

Reaction score
I ended up taking a few days off from work and thought I would share the last couple of days... Talk about a piece of work...Everything that could have gone wrong with this pipe did. Originally the shank was about 1.5 inches longer with a light (white) horn ferrule. The horn had the tennon on it and the shank the mortise.. while trying to get the proper curve in.. I ended up sanding into the tennon... so I had to cut off the end where the tenon was showing through.. next thought was bamboo... unfortunately I have no bamboo that would have fit the shank diameter.. so fiddle a little with drill bits and the stummel and I had room to fit another piece of horn.. then when fitting the first brass ring all was well until I was shaping the horn .. got too close to the brass.. so more sanding.. and picking a smaller diameter of brass.. fit.. .. but too much went wrong.. I got a piece of briar that wanted to stay briar... so it will become mine.. plan on breaking it in tonight..

72-1.jpg

72-13.jpg

72-17.jpg

72-20.jpg

72-22.jpg

Weight 29 grams
Length 5 1/2" 140mm
Width 1 1/16" 29mm
Height 1 3/4" 44mm
Bowldepth 1 1/2" 37mm

...I'd say it came out rather nice, all things considered! I hope the smoking isn't as much trouble! 8)

If only all mistakes turned out so nicely!
Looks like a good save to me.

Thanks everybody.. I'm hoping smoking goes better... I'll know in about 20 minutes

Enjoy your weekends

james

1 hour and 15 minutes of pleasure.. glad I didn't get upset and just throw it in the bag I keep my other failures in..

jogilli":421b9ciq said:
1 hour and 15 minutes of pleasure.. glad I didn't get upset and just throw it in the bag I keep my other failures in..
...you know, if such a bag exists, I'm sure there'd be a taker or two for said contents...

...just as a point of note... :D

oh.. the bag exists... it's hanging on a handle of one of my workbenches.. BUT.. they are all either failures at freehand drilling or have fissures that breach the tobacco chamber... thier wood.. and have connected holes... and will probably become firewood

James

Turned out very nice if I must say, I love the shape...its kind of like a blowfish. Let us know how she smokes.

Looks really good, it's got a nice shape and the stain looks great. That Dublin you did is still my favorite though.

thanks.. it smokes great... the wall near the bottom on the bow (on the thinner side)l could be a bit thicker.. but as long as I'm carefull once the cake builds up it'll be fine..... and if there wouldn't have been a sand pit there.. the right side would have looked more like the left... just a little thinner

smoking wise there isn't a single problem w/the pipe at all..

tks for all your comments.. and that dublin is still available :D

enjoy
james

jogilli":wfkytl5n said:
tks for all your comments.. and that dublin is still available :D

enjoy
james
I wish I could, but it's just not in my budget right now. Let me see how this month goes and maybe we can make a deal if it's still available

Like someone said earlier, "wish my mistakes looked that good"