The Price of Driving Our Cars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Sam's Club to buy gasoline.
iu
There's a Costco nearby and I bought regular for $3.13 gallon. Most local stations $3.59. I saved about $7.00.

Gas station shock! Regular unleaded, $3.59 gallon. Filled my tank, which still wasn't on empty= $57.45.
Is a motor scooter in my future?
$4.01.9 today, $64.00 fill.
This total electric scooter may be in my near future: NIU Scooter
n-matte-black_560b8ad2.jpg

I made some really good money on Tesla stock recently but I wouldn't buy an electric car from anyone yet. Not really practical at this point. More of a fad. I'm in no hurry.

Last edited:
Well, a loss of 10% of our oil supply doesn't justify a 50% increase in the price of our gas. Greedy capitalism at its worst.
I believe it is only 3%, if you're talking Russia, and it is mostly lower grade crude. If I'm understanding correctly, and I might not be, it isn't used for gasoline. Nevertheless, with the way it is set up as a world market, that might not make a difference.

The current rise in price has little to do with Russian oil. In Jan last year before Biden took office gas here at Costco was $1.89 a gal for LL. In Jan this year it was up to $3.29 a gal. A 45% increase. Way before the Ukrainian invasion. Crude oil went from $48 a barrel to nearly $100 a barrel and is now way over $100. Just sayin.

Well, a loss of 10% of our oil supply doesn't justify a 50% increase in the price of our gas. Greedy capitalism at its worst.
That's what it appears to be. It has nothing whatever to do with the current domestic political situation. If any administration enacted price controls, then we could talk about political influence. Our free marketplace without price controls allows prices to go up or down. I think it's call free enterprise capitalism.

I wouldn't buy an electric car from anyone yet. Not really practical at this point. More of a fad. I'm in no hurry.
I think the nature of vehicles will "morph". As I wrote in another thread, one of my friends has a hybrid SUV which he uses for trips; up to his lake home, etc. and he also has a Chevrolet all electric Volt with which he drives to his office and around town for short trips. I no longer drive any distances. I probably haven't driven a distance over 50 miles in a couple of years. If I'm still driving at age 80 in three years, I'll very likely keep my Subaru Legacy w/AWD and buy or lease an all electric for most driving.

That's what it appears to be. It has nothing whatever to do with the current domestic political situation. If any administration enacted price controls, then we could talk about political influence. Our free marketplace without price controls allows prices to go up or down. I think it's call free enterprise capitalism.
I agree with everything you said. "I think it's called free enterprise capitalism." Yeah, it's called that but in this case it's honestly manipulated markets capitalism. That's why we have laws (regulations) against monopolies and laws against price fixing, etc. This gouging needs to stop.

Unfortunately capitalism is not self sustaining and needs supports from the government (like bail outs and protections). It also needs regulations for our protection the likes of which broke up the Bell System for example. Capitalism has to work hand-in-hand with government or else it can't exist for long at all.

Capitalism is the free market, not free enterprise. The oil prices are on the future's market and are not the price of a barrel of oil today. The Commodity Market was founded to stabilize price and organize trade between farmers and distributors. The speculation aspect of it as a money making activity without the expectation of recieving the goods is the cause of the oil prices that are being talked about.

I'm glad I kept my Kawasaki 610 Mule. It gets a good 40 mpg and here in Sullivan County Indiana I can get around this little town. As long as I stay off the freeway I can drive it around anywhere and it doesn't require any special licensing like what was required in Arizona. Gas here is $4.30 a gallon. When I filled up the other day it was $4.19 a gallon and was $77.00 to fill up the tank on my Chevy Trailblazer. My 2005 Chevy 2500HD (diesel) is parked right now.

Capitalism is the free market, not free enterprise. The oil prices are on the future's market and are not the price of a barrel of oil today. The Commodity Market was founded to stabilize price and organize trade between farmers and distributors. The speculation aspect of it as a money making activity without the expectation of receiving the goods is the cause of the oil prices that are being talked about.
The discussion has reached beyond my pay grade.

"NOBODY IS GOING TO TELL US HOW TO LIVE." Well, not directly anyway. They are going to dictate your life under the ruse you can buy what you want.

Mssrs:
USA prices are really rising to an equitable position with Europe and the UK.

City
Price in USD Regular/Gallon
NetherlandsAmsterdam
$6.48​
NorwayOslo
$6.27​
ItalyMilan
$5.96​
DenmarkCopenhagen
$5.93​
BelgiumBrussels
$5.91​