The retirement thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn glad to hear someones taking well to retirement. Your the better man for it sir.
I certainly couldn't deal with the weather there, Utah sucked and I'm glad to be back in weather
I can handle......most the time. My smokes have even changed for the better and I don't
have to worry about tobacco drying out prematurely. But, hey to each his own sir.
I'm in the same shape as Hobie financially but, luckily I was able to save a little and pray it's enough
to put my shop in and ready it for me and my tools. I think its going to be tight but, I might just squeeze by.
Now if the Lord will give me the strength (less the pain) to do it all will remain to be seen.
Hope you continue to do well in your new digs sir, I'll be thinking about ya. ;)

After three months of retirement I can say it has been nice and dull at times. I actually look forward to the daily chores of dog feeding, grooming and the yard mess. Then read the news on-line while I eat breakfast.

I signed up for a three month course on-line to learn Spanish. That will help when the traveling begins in two months.

Some digging around in garage yielded me an old fly tying kit. I haven't made any fishing flies in 25 years probably. This will be a good tie-in while pipe smoking in the evening.

Anyone else taking a course to occupy their time?

Here is a link that you might find helpful.
You can audit courses for free or pay money and get credit.
https://www.edx.org/
They have a wide range of topics and you can go at your own speed.
I enjoyed the science of cooking and got what I wanted out of it.

Interesting that this old thread is suddenly active again. Guess I mostly forgot about it.

I've been keeping busy with my music. Now that I no longer have the brewery to occupy my time I've re-focused on my music. Currently have 3 album projects in the works and am entering mixdown on the first one. More about that later.

Also have been playing p/t in a band and loving it. Great bunch of guys around my age, all retired, and easy to work with. We're a cover band, so no original material. Oldies, classic R&R, and C&W. This is the first band I've played in that did C&W and I'm digging it. Gives me a chance to trot out my steel guit licks on the Tele. Good stuff Maynard!

Also have taken seriously to formal and regular exercise. I hit the gym every day (yes really) and also do some hiking in the nearby mountains. Now that I don't have the brewery to keep me in shape I didn't want to get soft and fat!  The brewery was always very physical work for virtually all of my 30 yrs there and I often came home totally spent. No chance of formal exercise then.

Interesting as well, for me to be involved with formal exercise as I've always hated that kind of thing - really hated it in fact. Goes back to my childhood, which is a topic for another day. Let's just say that I'm happy doing what I'm doing and am benefiting from it.

Also have been more proactive in reading which I've always loved. Fortunately the library here is a great resource which I've been availing myself of.

Frankly it's still strange for me to answer "retired" when asked what my employment is. I often get the answer "you don't look old enough". Guess I just have a youthful appearance for a 66 yr old geezer!

Still, retirement seems to suit me and I'm not regretful that I took that huge step. It was a big 'un after all.

More later.

Cheers,

RR

I have been busy readying the house for placement on the market. Going full time RV living and see the country. This should be an experience.

peanubutter":979qexn9 said:
I have been busy readying the house for placement on the market. Going full time RV living and see the country. This should be an experience.
That sounds awesome! Just don't pull a Robin Williams!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uHgRmR024BE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I retired in 2011.

My wife and I did something few people do though. We retired and moved north from Florida. Yeah...I know.

We built a nice home on a family farm but also built a large garage/shop as a separate building. When I awaken in the morning I visit a dozen or so websites (most news sites), eat breakfast, then go out to the shop like I'm going to work. I come in for lunch, then return to the shop until 5 PM or so. I restore old motorcycles, do MC repair, brew beer and make flintlock rifles/pistols.

So far my wife and I have both been enjoying retirement as the best parts of our lives. Have something to accomplish every day and enjoy your retirement.

I'm late in on this thread but what the heck... I retired 4 1/2 years ago now from a 28 year law enforcement carreer. It took a bit of adjustment, like the 20 minutes it took me to drive home. The only thing I miss is the morning cutting up in briefing before taking to the road - that was so much fun.

My wife and I moved north (within in Ontario) and I took a 25 year hobby in beekeeping and made a second career out of it. Being just shy of 58 when I retired I wanted to keep busy as long as health or the good Lord will allow.

I'm intensely busy from mid May to the start of August, just plain old busy August to the first week of September, slow right down through to late September as I transition to hunting season and head towards Christmas. I'm hoping starting in February/March  2021 that the business will allow my bride and I to head to Florida for a 2 - 3 weeks where we can visit my son and daughter in law on the Gulf Coast. Then it starts all over.

I realize that I am blessed to have good health and a pension which not everyone has. But I think the key to a stress free retirement is having a plan years before the day comes and having a purpose when you wake up in the morning.  

I enjoyed following your journey Brewdude and the stories/advice of others. I hope all of us retirees have a long and happy retirement.

Well said, Beeman. Enjoy the time off.

On a different note; I seem to be busier now and wonder how I was able to get anything done before. :cheers:

Great to see this thread still active, including and especially the reports of those who have retired and are thriving. Happy to report that after a full year + I'm still digging the whole retirement concept.

Keeping plenty active with my music and exercising daily. Plus lots of reading. Pipe smoking has gone down significantly however as I now only smoke outside, and the temps have not been conducive. Most days I manage an early morning bowl but that might be it all day!

Cheers,

RR

Slowly moving southward in the camper trying to stay ahead of the rain and cold. A new location every few weeks provides us with a change of scenery and new experiences. I was able to bring my remaining cigars and all of the pipe tobacco along with several pipes but limited space dictated that some items had to remain in storage.

Sounds like the right thing to do Peanubutter! Safe journeys and enjoy that warmth. I think I'll be turning on the furnace tonight for the first time this year.

Wait the Canadian hasn't turned on the furnace yet?!?!? I had to get ours going last week because of freeze warnings and they're predicting snow tomorrow.

Safe travels to you Peanut butter, enjoy the better weather and remember us slobs that choose to live in the Arctic.

Jim

The 'big' move was back to Cheyenne this time for the wife and her medical appointment. Hope to meet up with some BoB members one day.

Huffelpuff, we don't turn on the heat until ice forms in your drinking glass!

I so look forward to the retirement times. Being able to pick up and leave whenever I want with out having to get permission. Enjoy the trip peanubutter