The retirement thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GeoffC":iv8xusmk said:
D.L.Ruth":iv8xusmk said:
I so look forward to the retirement times. Being able to pick up and leave whenever I want with out having to get permission. Enjoy the trip peanubutter
How do you spell retirement?  P-O-W-E-R-B-A-L-L, or at least that what my financial planner tells me. :lol!:
Lol I've played once or twice, haven't won yet

I get the occasional lottery ticket but no winnings over $5.00 so far. Enjoying the adventure so far even with a few issues on the camper. A heck of a lot better than working in a cubicle either way.

beeman86":wzt2kztv said:
Huffelpuff, we don't turn on the heat until ice forms in your drinking glass!
Funny you should say that. That's my life for most of the winter. SWMBO has the window open in the bedroom and a box fan on high 365 days a year. Doesn't matter if its -30f out or not. So yeah I save a ton on ice for my drinks.

Jim

The travels have been great so far. That is until the covid pandemic shutdown a number of places to stay. Even our own spot at an RV park would not open until the 15th of May. While we appreciate the KOA places staying open for travelers it does get expensive. I mean we have our 'house' with us and still get to pay $700+ a month. Crazy to spend that much for a site, right? Some RV parks shutdown while we were there and had to find another place to stay. So on our travels we found a small mobile home with a 1/2 acre of land, 2-car garage, and a covered storage for the RV. No grass to mow either. First world problems, I know. But we will have a place now if stuff shuts down again and get to spend the winter in sunny Arid-zona and summers in Wyoming.

I was a patrol officer for about 7 years. I then went into the radio aspect of the job and became a 911 supervisor. I served in that capacity for 26 years and retired 5 years ago. Since that time, I've survived a heart attack, a triple bypass, an abdominal aortic aneurysm and kidney failure. I quit pipe smoking a few years ago and recently decided that I'm going to do it anyway. After a set of blood tests, my doctor approached me and said, " I don't know what it is you're doing but whatever it is keep doing it."And so I'm living the good life.
I despise facebook, and so here I am on a pipe forum. I'm seriously considering getting into ham radio. That seems like it would be a good hobby.

PapaThermodyne":z9pozo0s said:
I was a patrol officer for about 7 years. I then went into the radio aspect of the job and became a 911 supervisor. I served in that capacity for 26 years and retired 5 years ago. Since that time, I've survived a heart attack, a triple bypass, an abdominal aortic aneurysm and kidney failure. I quit pipe smoking a few years ago and recently decided that I'm going to do it anyway. After a set of blood tests, my doctor approached me and said, " I don't know what it is you're doing but whatever it is keep doing it."And so I'm living the good life.
I despise facebook, and so here I am on a pipe forum. I'm seriously considering getting into ham radio. That seems like it would be a good hobby.
Glad to have you aboard Papa. Sounds like you've been though the health ringer.

In any case I'm glad you joined our little group of miscreants, and I encourage you to post in the Welcome Wagon forum.

Cheers,

RR

I plan on retiring November 1st after 38 years in The Operating Engineers. I will probably do something part time but it I don’t want the long weeks on the road anymore. :shock:

I've been retired for over 20 years. Finances, fortunately, have not been a problem. My wife retired two years after me, and was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer within a year of her retirement. She died 12 years ago, today. My daughters are 42 and 34. I am fortunate that they both live within a 30 minute drive. About three years after my wife's passing, I tried dating. My wife and I had been together for 31 years; dating was like punishment.

Since the pandemic, and no daycare for my younger daughter, a teacher doing distance teaching from home, I'm taking daily care of her 13 month old at my house. Her 5 and 4 year old kids are doing distance learning from home. The toddler I have daily is far too noisy and attention demanding for her not to have an adult with her at all times.

The plan my late wife and I had, prior to her cancer diagnosis, was to book a cruise around the world, and upon return, purchase a small condo in a warm weather state for spending the winter months.

Two years after my wife died, my dear sister, who unquestionably was the most selfless, kind person I've ever known succumbed to Shy Drager syndrome.

Retirement, meh.............

I was forced to retire in October 2018 after 29+ years with American Airlines. My Director and I did not see eye to eye when it came to aircraft safety (but thats a topic for the Rubber Room). On the plus side I was given a pretty good package to leave (better than whats happening today in the Airline industry and the Covid-19 fiasco). With that package I pretty well paid off most of my bills and purchased a Heartland 305 Fuel toy hauler. Money is tight at times since my income is my Social Security. Been out traveling most of the time since then. Currently in Indiana helping out my Son with his special needs daughter.

I will echo some of the others when it comes to health care and insurance. Between October 2018 and September of this year when I went on Medicare I was on Obamacare which cost me an arm and a leg for the premiums. I had a hospital stay for seven days and it still cost me over $10,000. When I went on Medicare I purchased a supplemental insurance package for $130 a month but now I only have a $200 annual deductible.

All in all I am enjoying my retirement. I'm more relaxed now from the stress from my old position and get a lot more time with the family, traveling and getting a lot more pipe smoking in.

A lesson to retire as soon as you are financially able. One of my friends went to work for the State of Minnesota in 1975, By 2015, he'd reached the age and years of service that his pension and proceed distribution from his deferred income account were close to his salary, Add in Social Security and his income would have been more than when he was working. He refused to retire even though he had many outside interests.

Two years larer, in September, 2017, he told me that he'd finally turned in his retirement papers and would I attend his retirement party in three weeks. Less than a week later, I got a phone call; the party was delayed indefinitely, as my friend had suffered a stroke.

A couple of weeks went by and a mutual friend informed me that the retiree was reported doing well, post stroke; no paralysis, but there were minor cognitive issues that doctors had said would resolve themselves. The party was rescheduled and I attended. The "minor" cognitive issues were yet to fully resolve. W'e been friends for over 40 years and he had no idea who I was.

Today, I heard that within the previous couple of weeks, he'd died. Complications of the stroke.

The year prior to his retirement, he presented a workshop from an elevated stage, he made a wrong move at the edge of stage, fell off, and shattered his shoulder and upper arm. There was some question whether he'd lose the use of the arm. Doctors apparently feared that there could be particulate and blood clotting from the break and healing process and put him on blood thinners. Speculation from his family is that pieces from the bone break flowed into his brain causing the stroke and ultimately his death.

If he'd retired in 2015, he might still be alive.

I’ll be retiring at the end of the year after 45+ years of work; 31 in oil & gas production and 14.5 in Christain pastoral ministry. I’m ready for some downtime, spending time with our grandkids, and figuring out what comes next. Technically this is my second retirement, the first was 3 months long. I’m guessing this one will be longer. My wife retired a couple of weeks ago, so come January, we are loose on the world. I’m looking forward to learning my way through the process.

I’ll be retiring at the end of the year after 45+ years of work; 31 in oil & gas production ......
One thing I've learned from two decades of retirement: Make certain that once you have no prescribed daily itinerary, you create one that includes exercise and very healthy food consumption or you'll be back into gas production.