The Salad of the Day...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Tonight’s dinner of a big ol’ salad was shredded romaine & arugula...sliced leftover rotisserie chicken...chopped almonds...quartered strawberries...thin sliced red onion...crumbled blue cheese (Feta would have worked too)...with a simple kitchen made vinaigrette dressing of sherry vinegar, olive oil, Greek sea salt & coarse black pepper. A toasted plain bagel on the side with organic salted butter. Cold tap water to drink. Very nice I must say.

Re the Olive Oil...it’s special. Just ordered a new 3L can of the olive oil. Kouzini...from Greece. Single Origin (Kouzini ONLY comes from the Lakonia region of Greece and never mixed, blended or adulterated)...Koroneiki Varietal. Current harvest 2020/2021. Pressed and canned within hours of harvest.

link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TQ8PHJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

F6ECBC3F-1B7E-4B25-B2A7-285F6ADD4D0F.jpeg

Sounds like a feast Blackhorse. My sister is an olive oil purist, will mention Kouzini to her.

Cool. Cannot recommend the Kouzini Olive Oil highly enough. It’s not available in stores anywhere. It’s all about purity and freshness. The olive oil on store shelves has most likely been picked then stored regionally then stored again at the company site before pressing then warehoused after pressing & bottling for up to a year in some cases and then it gets dusty at the store. So, it’s one to maybe two years old in some cases. The Kouzini family presses the harvest within hours of picking then it’s immediately bottled or canned. What you buy is that year’s harvest...date stamped on the container.

The 3L can that I buy lasts us 6 months. I pour oil from the can into a clear 16 oz “counter top” bottle with a metal pouring spout.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B34LBV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A5A792DD-B208-4D12-8505-D09EC2800637.jpeg

We have salad six days a week probably and we are always on the lookout for great olive oil. We currently use a light olive oil when cooking and extra virgin for salads, dipping sauce, or a final dressing on pasta. I will look this one up on-line.

We have salad six days a week probably and we are always on the lookout for great olive oil. We currently use a light olive oil when cooking and extra virgin for salads, dipping sauce, or a final dressing on pasta. I will look this one up on-line.
Maybe you know this, but many don't. Good oils, like the ones you spend a little (or a lot) extra $ on and use with salads should never be heated. Sesame oil is also like this in Asian cooking. They're finishing oils and dipping oils, not cooking oils. Obviously just a general rule, because if you want to spend $30 on 16oz of some good olive oil to fry your fish in, have at it.

Kind of a no-brainer, but "keep it simple" is my general rule about salad dressings. Fewer ingredients. Higher quality ingredients. Good honey and great mustard (my emulsifier of choice) for vinaigrettes. And this is my favorite easily-found vinegar for salads.
https://www.amazon.com/Marukan-Seasoned-Rice-Vinegar-ounce/dp/B00UR6HALY

Ordered some of your recommended Rice Wine Vinegar. Added it to an order for more Yamasa Soy Sauce and a jug of Umami Veggie Tsuyu (another Yamasa product). Thanks for the tip.

Hey...if you don’t listen to your friends what good are they? 😃

Tonight’s dinner of a big ol’ salad was shredded romaine & arugula...
I wouldn't need much more than the romaine, arugula, crumbled feta and a dressing of good olive oil, mustard, and vinegar.

Just ordered a new 3L can of the olive oil. Kouzini...from Greece. Single Origin (Kouzini ONLY comes from the Lakonia region of Greece and never mixed, blended or adulterated)...Koroneiki Varietal. Current harvest 2020/2021. Pressed and canned within hours of harvest.
giphy.gif