The Savinelli 320

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've found myself strangely drawn to the 320 recently. It's like a siren calling and I particularly like the rustic finish. For those who have one, what's the deal with the filter? Can you simply remove it and smoke it without? A filter system isn't something I'd be interested in.

Grateful for your thoughts...

Stick.

The 320 is a nice looking pipe. But I have no experience with their filtered pipes. But with any other pipe with filters I’ve smoked. I usually just chunk the filter and smoke it like I bought it.

Stick mate

I've long smoked a Sav 320 w/o the filter and have had zero issues. Love the size and shape, and mine is also rusticated. It was an estate and one of the best pick-ups I've aver made. I can't think you'd go far wrong with one.

Bear in mind the bowl dimensions are much like a pot - with the inside diameter being wide and not overly deep. So that will surely influence what you choose to burn in there.

My personal preferences are VaPers, but it'll smoke anything great. You just have to pay a little more attention to the moisture level, cut, and packing. Not rocket science.

Cheers,

RR

That is a fine looking pipe, now 8 have to add it to my list. Never smoked a Savinelli but have other pipes that take filters and never had issues smoking without the filter. I'd say go for, whats the worst that can happen? :scratch:

I have the 320 St Nicolas. I smoke it without the filter. No problems. The mouthpiece is a bit larger than I prefer, but that's ok. I usually smoke it while sitting and hold it in my hand.

I have 9 savinellis and don't use the filters in any of them. Can't speak to the 320's yet, but sure do like that shape. :cyclops:

I have about a dozen 320s and smoke them all without a filter with no problems.
I bought some filters to try but just found them yucky and unnecessary.

I have a few of these along with other Savs - use the filters only when a particular tobacco is on the wet side. Otherwise, I see no need.

Thanks for your thoughts, chaps. Looks like it'll be fine without any filters which is what I'm after. Nice pic of the 320 St Nick too, Mr Corncobcon! I do like that chubbiness!

Continuing with this thread...

During a period of subsequent procrastination I received a PM from a fellow BoB who, it seems, was looking to thin his flock and to this end asked if I'd like an unsmoked 320.  Not wanting to appear ungracious and excited by the prospect of owning a Sav 320 earlier than I anticipated, I gratefully accepted the offer and this rather beautiful 320 Tevere arrived within a week.

I absolutely love the colour and finish and it feels fantastic in the hand; important to me as I'm not a clencher and I'm very tactile.  Perhaps more importantly I was able to give it it's inaugural smoke a few weekends ago; not surprisingly it smokes wonderfully too (and without a filter!).

I know the kindly chap who is responsible for this amazing act of generosity would rather not be named which, of course, I will respect.  So, to you kind Sir, a huge thank you for this tremendously kind gesture.  I am truly bowled over.  And brace yourself for a return volley  ;)