The Smell of Fresh in the Barn Tobacco-Wonderful

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swede

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I'm blessed to live in a tobacco growing area and to know tobacco farmers. The other evening, I was moving some scrap boards from tearing down my deck. A farmer wanted them, so he told me to put them in a tobacco barn before the tobacco is "taken down". So, I had to carry the lumber under the hanging tobacco, and man what a wonderful straight tobacco smell. This was dark air cured, and fully cured this year and ready for stripping. The thing I like about some blends is a straight tobacco smell and taste. I get this in burleys and Virginias. If a blend could only capture the smell in this barn, what a great blend that would be. I wanted to take some leaf and smoke it! If anybody knows of blends that best capture this, I'd appreciate hearing. I can think of Prince Albert, Granger, Carolina Red Flake and Sutliff 507-c Virginia slices.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. When I played baseball as a young lad, I chewed Red Man. I still consider that a pure tobacco flavor. I could be delusional about that, but that is sort of my model for pure tobacco. I'm not always in the mood for such purity, but I do have those moments. Picayune sort of scratches that itch for me. You know, as your list implies: burley. I don't really have other suggestions, but I get what you're desiring.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. When I played baseball as a young lad, I chewed Red Man. I still consider that a pure tobacco flavor. I could be delusional about that, but that is sort of my model for pure tobacco. I'm not always in the mood for such purity, but I do have those moments. Picayune sort of scratches that itch for me. You know, as your list implies: burley. I don't really have other suggestions, but I get what you're desiring.
I chewed Red Man too, and thought it was the best compared to Bull of the Woods and other plugs. Most of the stores also had twist for chew. When I read reviews that mention this natural tobacco taste and smell, I'm more likely to buy those. I wish there was some way to capture that barn smell so I could post it 😕.

When I was growing up (?) in Nashvile, TN, they were growing tobacco a major crop. One of my high school bud grew a bunch of acres tobacco air cured. It smelled nice but dark fired was my favorite. My dad took me hunt near close my grand dad use to had his farm in Williamson. My dad told me how to grow, top and suckered, cut and cure. When we hunted, they had a small barn and dark fired cured and loved the smell. I wish they still had it, but couldn't find the barn nor relatives. Progress is not always good.

(My dad and 2 brothers played ball in Vandy)

I chewed Red Man too, and thought it was the best compared to Bull of the Woods and other plugs. Most of the stores also had twist for chew. When I read reviews that mention this natural tobacco taste and smell, I'm more likely to buy those. I wish there was some way to capture that barn smell so I could post it 😕.
When you posted it, it was enough to give me to remember the smell. Normally I didn't chew, but I would get a plug of Apple. In AR, I would mooch a buddy bit of Levi or Mail Pouch. When I tried Warren Co. Twist once. Reminds me the hunter asked the guide can I shoot on my horse. The guide said "once"

When I was growing up (?) in Nashvile, TN, they were growing tobacco a major crop. One of my high school bud grew a bunch of acres tobacco air cured. It smelled nice but dark fired was my favorite. My dad took me hunt near close my grand dad use to had his farm in Williamson. My dad told me how to grow, top and suckered, cut and cure. When we hunted, they had a small barn and dark fired cured and loved the smell. I wish they still had it, but couldn't find the barn nor relatives. Progress is not always good.

(My dad and 2 brothers played ball in Vandy)
That's cool- glad we can both relate, and seems tobacco sights and smells stick with us through the years, and are good memories. I farmed all types of it (burley, dark fired and dark air cured) as a boy and young man, and it taught me good things about hard work, etc. Back in those days we were referred to as a "baccer" man. I'm thankful to my parents for having us grow up in the country in Tennessee. I'll see about getting a picture of that tobacco in the barn with the tails hanging down. Maybe I'll also get to smoke some of that.

That's cool- glad we can both relate, and seems tobacco sights and smells stick with us through the years, and are good memories. I farmed all types of it (burley, dark fired and dark air cured) as a boy and young man, and it taught me good things about hard work, etc. Back in those days we were referred to as a "baccer" man. I'm thankful to my parents for having us grow up in the country in Tennessee. I'll see about getting a picture of that tobacco in the barn with the tails hanging down. Maybe I'll also get to smoke some of that.
That's neat to relate though I wasn't a farmer but my dad and mother showed me a lot of opportunities to have hard work and succeed. We are both thankful had wonderful parents. You can't beat it!

I’ve seen plenty of tobacco fields and barns, but never fortunate enough to go inside a tobacco barn with the tobacco hanging. The American Cigar Company had a huge warehouse a few miles from where I grew up in Norfolk, VA. The surrounding area smelled like a pouch of Red Man chew. The building was built in 1901 and was covered in windows when I was a kid. This is what it looked like before it was demolished.
D4C92E07-A2E1-4A4D-9541-A84C3687B2C9.jpeg

Last edited: