The sweet smell of briar

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
Okay, here's a weird one (and no, I haven't even been drinking tonight) . . .

One of the main things I enjoy about a pipe are all the varieties of aromas they offer. Just had two wonderful bowls sitting on the back deck looking at the stars and was reminded of an odd habit I have: I'll put the tip of my nose right against the bowl and sniff deeply the sweet smell of the warm wood. With most pipes, like cobs, meers, clays, or rusticated briars, there's nothing to smell. But in quality briars with natural finishes (non-glossy) like my two best Comoys and the Design Berlin Royal Star from tonight, there is a sweet smell that has a vaguely milky, baby skin smell. For years I pondered if it was just the oils from my fingers interacting with the warm wood, but I get the smell even from the part of the bowl that my fingers rarely if ever touch. Seems weird, but this smell is rather intoxicating to me, and one reason why I reach for a good briar more than other types of pipes.

Okay, now you know my weird habit, but does anybody else have any unusual habits they care to admit??

Actually....now that you bring up things that get sniffed.....

I sniff pipe-tobacco. I would love to have a pouch of pipe-tobacco strapped under my nose instead of these PITA Wuhan masks. I just love the aroma of pipe tobacco, any pipe tobacco....even those pipe tobaccos that're heavy with Latakia.

Just strap it on me like an old feed bag, and I'd be a happy man.

I don't have a very sensitive nose. Half the time I can barely smell my tobacco unless it's heavy on latakia. But I do love the feel of a smooth briar in my hand. I tend to fondle those pipes a bit more than others.

I don't have a very sensitive nose. Half the time I can barely smell my tobacco unless it's heavy on latakia. But I do love the feel of a smooth briar in my hand. I tend to fondle those pipes a bit more than others.
If you love rubbing on smooth briar, you should try a briar "touchstone". It's a smooth 2" piece of polished briar with a thumb sized depression in the center of one side. It fits right into the hand and your thumb naturally finds the smooth dent as you rub the briar.

I sniff pipe-tobacco. I would love to have a pouch of pipe-tobacco strapped under my nose instead of these PITA Wuhan masks. I just love the aroma of pipe tobacco, any pipe tobacco....even those pipe tobaccos that're heavy with Latakia.

"Things that get sniffed" - sure to be a memorable BoB quote!

The vivid picture you describe started a cascade of thoughts and memories . . .

My first ever encounter with a pipe was when my scout troop went over to the scout master's home to talk about hobbies and collecting. As we were admiring the collection of silver dollars the scout master lit up a pipe. None of the other boys paid any attention but I immediately exclaimed "That smells like fresh baked cookies!!" He grunted dismissively at the Susie Home Baker association, and probably didn't want to encourage too much a young lad with the idea of smoking. When my dad picked me up and asked about the meeting I exclaimed again with excitement "Mr. Adams smokes a pipe!" My dad, who had given up smoking when I was a baby in the house, just nodded approvingly and said "A lot of smart and famous people smoke a pipe."

So from the very beginning, the aroma of pipe tobacco has been a huge attraction for me, while cigarettes or cigars were never a big attraction. I guess some people are just drawn to it, others, like the other boys in the troop, are not drawn to it.

Memories indeed. My Dad was a confirmed cigarette smoker thus I started filching from him when I was maybe 12 or 13 years old. Cause that's how boys are. Got to try the forbidden. By the time I went into the service at 18 I was already a pack a day smoker. After I got out I made a trip from Jacksonville Fl to Denver to see a gal I had met while on duty. Bought a carton of Marlboros and headed out in my 49 VW, a story in itself. Pulling into Pueblo, opened the glove compartment, and took out the last pack of cigs. Realized I had smoked a whole carton in two days. A disturbing revelation. Opened the window and tossed out the pack and did not touch another for almost 15 years but never took them up again. When I started college in the fall of 70 at Iowa state there were several profs who smoked a pipe. One in particular was an english lit prof that I really liked. He did not smoke in class but if you went to his office he had pipes and tobacco on the desk and would smoke while conversing with you. Maybe it was a nicotine craving or just the image ( I had visions of being a professor at the time) but I decided to take up the pipe. There was an old timey pipe and tobacco store in campustown right across the street from the student union bldg. It was a very pleasant place. The older fellow who owned it always had a pipe in his mouth when you walked in and it smelled pleasantly of tobacco. I reveled in looking over the pipes and all the brands of tobacco and talking to him. He was very patient and always enjoyed good conversation. Bought my first pipe from him, a guildhall canadian by Comoy as I did not have a lot of money. Think it cost me 12 bucks? He suggested I start off with McB Mjxture which I did. Graduated to BSOSM and Rattrays red raparree later. But Balkan sobranie was my go to. I can remember girls I knew coming over to sit with me as I sat outside reading and studying on central campus. They would always say I knew it was you because I smelled your pipe. Funny thing was not one of them ever complained about the "room note" although to my recollection it smelled a bit like oriental incense, lol. Funny how things have changed. Hope you guys can excuse my short story but this morning lends itself to nostalgia. Now back to my Butz Choquin magnum and SWR.

I'm with you there, BP. Some of my 'baccy weed smells good enough to eat!

Not sure this fits the subject matter...but I rub my smooth briars on my nose just after smoking them to use the "nose oil" to keep them shiny and well-maintained!!
As far as pipe 'baccy aroma/s go, everyone who walks into my study/office/computer room comments on how good it smells due to all the 'baccy I have there!!!! FTRPLT

Not sure this fits the subject matter...but I rub my smooth briars on my nose just after smoking them to use the "nose oil" to keep them shiny and well-maintained!!
As far as pipe 'baccy aroma/s go, everyone who walks into my study/office/computer room comments on how good it smells due to all the 'baccy I have there!!!! FTRPLT
Hmmm, I've heard of rubbing the dog's nose in it, but were you speaking in jest here? Hey I use spit on a Q-tip to clean the rims, so maybe nose oil would be a good thing. :rolleyes:

Been doing that for years. Pipe shop clerk in Little Rock showed me the trick. Works better than beeswax and doesn't clog the pores of the briar. Apparently skin oil is good for making things shiny. At least that's what my wife says as most make ups try to hide it,, lol.

I also just love the texture of shaving cream. I wish it was whipped ice cream, so I could eat it.
Don't judge me.
I'm with you there too, old bean. Taylors of Old Bond Street coconut is my favourite cream, but I'm currently working through a L'Occitane Cade soap puck. Both deeeelish!