The texting epidemic

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vito

Charter member
Reaction score
I suppose that like any tool, "texting" is useful as long as it's not abused. But people's capacity for stupidity practically guarantees abuse.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lRYv_2JRCT0" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

From where I sit, much of the human species' current addiction to texting is natural selection in action.

newjok10.png

Vito, texting is definitely out of hand. Should be a law that if you text while driving and caught it's an automatic suspension of your drivers license for 6 months and a $1,000 fine. I lost a close friend on Long Island, he was hit head on because the driver of the vehicle that hit him was texting.
Another example: TEXTING...causes lack of communication! I've seen young teens in the same room texting up and back instead of talking. What's that all about???
I'm not old fashioned, I do use a PC or mobile device on a daily basis and am well versed when it comes to computers. But there is somethings that are lost in an email or text....just pick up a phone and communicate. Just my 2cents.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Saw a Highway Patrol Officer texting on the highway last week, it is a law in our state. So much for laws.

Hobie1dog":9ekt2m4y said:
Saw a Highway Patrol Officer texting on the highway last week, it is a law in our state. So much for laws
If the day comes I ever see an officer of the law texting while driving, I would pull him over and arrest him on the spot. No questions asked, confiscate his cell phone and throw a set of cuffs on him.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

There's no texting law here in Maine, they have a driving while distracted law which covers so many things that give you a WTF moment when you see them happening. Shaving while driving, reading a book, newspaper or business papers, applying makeup up and texting plus other you gotta be kidding me things people do rather than paying attention to the road.
banjo

There is a gadget, illegal here in the states, that interferes with the cellphone signal so you can't use your phone within a certain range of the gadget. Some movie theaters use it I've heard. Would like to have one. Click it on and everyone's cellphones within 30 - 50 feet become no longer connected to the tower..perfect for restaurants and that distracted driver in the lane next to you..

Bosun1^^^^^^^^

Most hospitals that I know use such a device on certain floors. It's fairly easy to build one, very portable and runs on 6 volts DC.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

People who text and drive should be killed. I believe it's worse than drunk driving. Just had my car totaled by a texting driver while I was stopped at a light about a year ago. And I liked the car.

Or they will kill themselves. There was a horrible accident here a few years ago in which an SUV-load of teen-aged girls hit a tractor-trailer head on at highway speeds. The SUV driver was texting and swerved suddenly. They were all incinerated. You wouldn't want to talk to the first responders about the accident, much less be one. I believe some quit the profession.

Okay, I'm not proud of it but I'm not ashamed of it... Whether my windows are down or up, I definitely YELL at everyone I see on their phone while driving. Doesn't matter if it's texting or a call, I yell at them. I almost got in a head on a couple months ago with a young lady texting on her phone. I drive with two hands on the wheel and don't play any games. Anyone who rides in my car is MY responsibility, they put their lives in my hands and I shouldn't have to worry about whether you are texting and paying attention or not. You should simply be paying attention every time you drive. Absolutely unacceptable to be on your phone and put other peoples' lives at risk. I can't stand it!

Lonecoyote":tt9tn00z said:
Bosun1^^^^^^^^

Most hospitals that I know use such a device on certain floors. It's fairly easy to build one, very portable and runs on 6 volts DC.
Maybe I'll do a search on building one...or just buy one...there is a good stretch of territory between 'illegal' and 'enforced' (G)..

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I'll admit I use my phone on the road at work. Police and truck drivers in Ct get a pass on it. We used to have cb radios, but they had no range with the office. They gave us push to talk phones and I get extra work orders by text on my phone so I have it hard copy. I don't need to respond to them immediately though haha, and the thing only works as a gps when the truck is in motion.

bosun1":mnd6scb5 said:
There is a gadget, illegal here in the states, that interferes with the cellphone signal so you can't use your phone within a certain range of the gadget.  Some movie theaters use it I've heard.  Would like to have one.  Click it on and everyone's cellphones within 30 - 50 feet become no longer connected to the tower..perfect for restaurants and that distracted driver in the lane next to you..
That is interesting indeed!

I read an article about a company that had already developed the software so that cell phones would not work if the car was moving, Corporate profits likely killed that idea.

Texting while driving? What's wrong with that doesn't everyone drive a self driving car so what's wrong as they don't have accidents ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Few things scarier on a two-lane road than seeing a car coming toward you that is creeping over into your lane. Almost always a texter at the wheel. Yes, you can blow your horn, but texters are usually very slow to respond. I've had several close calls. Once, a "driverless"car suddenly swerved across the line into my lane. I leaned on my horn, and a woman suddenly appeared at the wheel and swerved back across the road and ended up in someone's front yard. She had apparently dropped her phone while texting and was groping around on the floor looking for it. Numbskull!