The Three Stooges

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently got in "The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection". Was always a big Stooges fan when I was growing up.

This has all 190 shorts with all the Stooges including Moe, Curly, Larry, Shemp, and later Curly Joe, and Joe. Plus extras-

190 shorts
28 never before released shorts
2 feature films
3 Colombia cartoons

Now less than halfway through this video extravaganza. But there are clearly some classic episodes already - Curly and the Oyster stew, Moe and his portrayal of Hitler, "Slowly I Turn" from their original vaudeville sketch (which helped to put them on the map) and much more.

These guys were total originals. Curly surely must have originated the moon walk idea which Michael Jackson copied, as well as laying the foundation for break dancing. Just watch some of those vids and you'll get the idea.

And, they largely did their own stunts. Tell me about any actors that still do this today. And they weren't even athletes! Curly was overweight and outdid much of what Moe and Larry performed!

Anywhoo, enjoying this feast. But also finding that 1 or 2 episodes at a time is all I can handle. It's too silly otherwise.

Got my collection on sale at amazon for around $40/new. Iffen you're interested.

Cheers,

RR

Yeah, they were pretty funny but, sometimes a bit too campy but, loved the Oyster stew seen with Curly using his tie and a cracker to bait the live oyster.
I'm really more of a Laurel and Hardy fan. I remember one scene where Laurel helps Hardy read a street sign by pushing him up the pole. When hardy finally get to the top to read the sign it says "Wet Paint" It still makes me laugh as if I seen it for the first time.

Abbott and Costello did the "Slowly I Turn" also and I think I like it better.
But, hey! That's me. ;)

I can still hear Costello saying "Poco Moco" to get back at a baddie.

Yeah, the stooges - childhood favorite. However, I can understand the two episode limit, especially the later ones with Joe Besser.

I recall commentary on one episode when a (part of the plot) table collapsed and Moe fell. Turns out he broke a rib, but never broke character and kept on going. Quite a trooper.

Fazby":qek7b3xh said:
Yeah, the stooges - childhood favorite. However, I can understand the two episode limit, especially the later ones with Joe Besser.
Have to agree. The original Curly was a true original, all others paled including Shemp IMO. I understand the need for Joe Besser when Jerome (Curly) suffered a stroke. And later when Besser stepped down, Joe DeRita as "Curly Joe" was a poor choice IMO. Yet it kept the momentum of the trio going for a few more years.

I remember going to the movies with my Mom to see the Three Stooges flick "Have Rocket Will Travel". I was maybe around 10 at the time, but by then the Stooges seemed dated. All the shorts I had seen were from the late 30's- 40's and I didn't know this at the time. In any case, even though I was about 10 this film left much to be desired. No, it was lame!

Today, there are a bunch of vids on the tube of Moe on the Mike Douglas Show. And he was the last one standing. Well worth checking out.

Cheers,

RR

Anytime I hear the word stooges, I go back to the time when my friend always talked about the Corporate Stooges we worked for.

Finally into the next iteration of the stooges with Shemp who replaced Curly after his stroke.

Gotta say that I've found a new respect for Shemp, as previously I regarded him as an also-ran poor substitute for Curly. And this view goes back to my childhood btw, as I grew up watching the stooges. When Shemp came on the scene I kind of resented it since Curly is everyone's favourite, and certainly mine!

Now some 6 or more shorts into the Shemp era and am impressed with what he brought to the table. Very competent, falls in just fine with the established persona of Moe and Larry, and brings his own unique mannerisms and personality to the table.

And one of the shorts with Shemp effectively re-enacted the classic Oyster stew episode with Curly, but this time with Moe as the main character. Moe had all the Curly mannerisms down pat, and was very entertaining! What a great tribute to his brother.

These guys are classics and I'll continue to enjoy these episodes. I'm only about halfway through this DVD extravaganza!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Back when comedy was slapstick, no one really got hurt, no political attacks, no vulgar words. A kinder gentler world. I caught a bit of Amy Schumer on late night TV a while back before she became a representative of the Democrat party. Pretty low class and not at all funny. Twenty minutes was all I could take..talking how big her equipment was and how she needed a 'big brother' to fill her cavity if you know what I mean..

The Stooges were good, sometimes great, but for moral uplift and inspiration I always looked to W.C. Fields as my model of manliness. He's what I always wanted to be like when I grew up and what I wish I had been, now that I'm old. Apparently something intervened--I guess I just wasn't cut out to have the stature of a god, as was this Adonis of the silver screen.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QxSbEK60nb4" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

That was a great clip Richard. It shows Bill (as he was known back in the day) as a much younger man. But nevertheless as an up and coming curmudgeon! Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

RR

Just now at the end of this incredible feast of the 3 Stooges. I can't recommended it enough if you are are a fan.

Goofy, yes. And too many old gags which where slapstick was involved. Yet that was the humour of the day.

The 3 Stooges are classic. 'nuff said!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Finished this epic adventure. Have to say it was well worth the price of admission.

I now have a new respect for Shemp and what he brought to the table. Joe Beeser and Joe Derita, not so much. At least in their respective roles in the stooges shorts.

However, I will say that there are a few shorts with Besser and Derita as the featured starring character (non-stooges shorts) that do show off their abilities. And in such they do shine.

All I can say that "The Ultimate Collection" is well worth having if you're a stooges devotee.

8)

Cheers,

RR

I can still hear Costello saying "Poco Moco" to get back at a baddie.

I recall commentary on one episode when a (part of the plot) table collapsed and Moe fell. Turns out he broke a rib, but never broke character and kept on going. Quite a trooper.

Back when comedy was slapstick, no one really got hurt, no political attacks, no vulgar words. A kinder gentler world. I caught a bit of Amy Schumer on late night TV a while back before she became a representative of the Democrat party. Pretty low class and not at all funny. Twenty minutes was all I could take..talking how big her equipment was and how she needed a 'big brother' to fill her cavity if you know what I mean..
How about keeping partisan politics out of Brewdude's thread about The Three Stooges?