The Truth About Cake...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hawker":oy2i8apj said:
I have a friend who smokes 2-3 bowls a day out of his old faithfull Brebbia and when I look at his pipe I wonder how he even has any room to put any tobacco in it due to the cake thats formed. He just keeps on using it untill it gets to the point he has to get his jack knife out and whittle away at the cake and when the stem and mouth piece gets to restricted he forces what ever is handy thru it to open it up. I know he's been using this pipe for the last 15 years and it replaced his "old" pipe which he lost.

It looks like someone might have found your friend's old / lost pipe ...  :clown:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-GRESHAM-GIANTS-w-awesome-cake-Estate-Pipe-/221747164030?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a129337e

whiderwarde":ps4mljry said:
Okay, maybe we don't see people reaming pipes in movies, but we ought to!  Is there a petition somewhere to get smoking back on screen?
Harry in mad men was reaming his pipes in one episode with a pipe tool. Really going to town with that thing though. Not sure if he was educated in the process.

As for my own cake maintenance. I try to get any unburnt tobacco off the cake after a smoke. I only ream the pipes when I do a thorough cleaning once every few months. Even then, I just take it off to get it back to acceptable thickness and make sure it's even. I try not to get too nuts about it, as life presents too many thing to be ocd about to begin with.

I rarely allow any cake to build in most of my pipes. The exception would be an olivewood, strawberry wood, or a thin walled briar I had dedicated to flake tobacco.

I have found that my pipes will season over time, similar to a cast iron skillet or blackpowder muzzleloader barrel, giving them more protection than they had when being broken in during the first few bowls.

Another aspect that makes it very easy for me to keep minimal cake, is that I am usually focused on keeping my pipe barely lit for maximum flavor. As soon as I feel an uneven hotspot burning on one side of the bowl, or feel the heat transfer to the bottom center of the pipe, I will set it aside and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.

When I first started pipe smoking, I failed to dry my tobacco to a low enough percentage, making it hard to keep it lit, encouraging me to puff furiously. One day I was trying to keep a Boswell poker going all the way to the bottom of the bowl, when a loud pop echoed through the room, and the cherry inside the pipe came rocketing out of the bowl, like a bottle rocket. This resulted in a spider webbed bowl bottom, which I ended up pipe mudding with some cigar ash. Luckily, the damage was not visible externally on that pipe, due to the fact that it was rather thick walled and on the heavy side.

Once I got the hang of drying my tobacco properly, and smoking my pipes as cool as possible, it became easy to break in and smoke a pipe with minimal damage.

It's actually a satisfying experience to smoke a pipe for hundreds of bowls with minimal damage, allowing to to be restored to almost like new condition at some point down the road.

Slartibartfast":6yzzl57k said:
mimefrog":6yzzl57k said:
Cartaphilus":6yzzl57k said:
Each time after I smoke it a wipe the bowl out with a twisted up paper towel.
I second this.  I find it spreads the carbon around evenly so I end up with a nice flat, well-portioned cake without any pits.
Ditto, except I'll often just take the pipe cleaner and fold it in half cleaning the stem and go around the chamber a few times.  Seems to keep the cake down as well as smooth.
Yup, paper towel twists work great......

A fine rat-tail file is a handy little tool for a piper. It allows precise, controlled adjustment of problem cake spots and establishment of a symmetrical tobacco chamber. I only use it rarely and with a gentle touch, because if the cake is thick, especially up near the rim, it is possible to loosen a chip, leading to more filing. I think the rat tail gives more control than a reamer, though reamer owning friends dispute this. Otherwise, as said above, I'm a pipe cleaner and occasional sandpaper piper. Nota bene the above posts on smoking slowly and heeding hot spots as you become aware of them. Pipers tend to be wary of burnout, usually seeing it as caused by defective cake maintenance, but in 50 years of piping I've never had a burnout, even on a breezy day smoking and watching the tide come in, which is sometimes cited as high risk for burnout and charring. Not saying it can't happen .. . .