They are going after Cigars

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first paragraph...
Cigars may be as bad for your health as cigarettes, particularly among
experienced smokers who deeply inhale the toxic substances they contain.
Duh!  :shock:
I kinda disregarded the rest of the article.

I didn't read much either. These stories where they take the blantanly obvious and try to make it "news" annoy me. I wonder when we will start seeing the "cannabis smoke might not be healthy" articles...
Mike.

How bout we replace the rhetoric with anything that has a hierarchical toxicity:

Beer may be as bad for your health as Whiskey, particularly among
experienced drinkers who deeply inhale the toxic substances they contain.

:fpalm:

NO KIDDING!! Except the ones who do it right and savor the flavor don't really inhale, but are thrown into the same pile because they check the box next to "Smoker" I drink a daily glass of wine, should I therefore be put into the same group as "Alcoholics"?
Not to insult alcoholics but my point is the deck isn't fairly stacked...but what can you do.

:bounce: sorry I just get all defensive when I deal with this topic..."

The issue is not the content of the article. The issue is what it signals.

When an administration or corporation has a specific agenda they will firstly begin a publicity campaign. Then they will say their plan solves the problem they themselves sparked attention to.

The administration is going to paint themselves as heroes by taking away freedoms from the pitiful citizens.

I get your point J Soshae, but I see it a little differently. I'm as libertarian as you can find and any govt infringement on my rights gets my hackle up. But I'm not sure rights are at stake here. I remember back in the early 70s trying to get my dad to quit cigarettes because of the health risks presented in anti smoking PSAs. I'm not sure that cigarette smokers lost their rights since then. If you are thinking of limitations on public smoking, that ship sailed a long time ago. In fact, there were many times in the past I've sat in outdoor bars or resturants surrounded by cigarette smokers and been forbidden to smoke a pipe or cigar. The only difference after over 30 years is that the cigarette smokers are gone. If you are thinking about increased taxes, well that ship sailed as well, especially with cigars. I do think taxes in general are an infringement on rights, but that is a bigger issue than tobacco. The way I see it, the only thing that can happen from here on out is an increase in price from increased taxes. That is inevitable as the govt sees it as a source of revenue and there is not a large enough number of smokers to make it a political issue of importance. So we will be paying the high prices the rest of the world pays in a handful of years. Will tobacco ever be illegal? Maybe. But as long as people are willing to pay $8+ for a $1 pack of cigarettes the loss of tax revenue would be too great.
Its just my opinion, but I don't see a threat in this sort of story. We do need to keep lobbying against tax increases and vote for tobacco friendly politicians. But we are far too late to correct public opinion.
Mike.

So because "That ships already sailed" it's not a violation of your rights?
Punitive taxation and smoking bans could very easily be viewed as a violation of the 5th amendment... The redefinition of public property to mean any property upon which the public is permitted is in and of itself depriving someone of their property without due process. The smoking police are a violation of the 4th amendment. The federal government being involved at all is a violation of the 10th amendment.
Is any of that going to change? No, because Americans are still to comfortable to care... But that doesn't mean it's not a violation of our rights.

puros_bran":ickyuzf3 said:
   So because "That ships already sailed" it's not a violation of your rights?
No, of course that's not true.  But it does suggest a poorly written article on the health impact of cigars is unlikely to cause the ship to come back into port and re- depart.
We are basically in agreement PB.  The govt has run over us and for the most part folks dont even notice.I just dont think these are smoker rights issues any more than high gas taxes are driver rights issues. We need to pick our battles carefully, and because public opinion is unlikely to change, a tobbaco- centric approach is unlikely to succeed.
But again, its just my opinion and last thing I wasn't to do is argue with like minded folk, so I've said all I will.  Now I'm off to smoke a healthy Padrone  :D
Mike.

Richard Burley":22m5ejom said:
:cheers: I be likin' dat, PB.  ^^^

If you decide to run in 2016...
Naw, I've got waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many skeletons in my closet for that.