They Taste Fine

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSteve

Reaction score
Last night I had a craving for sweets. There was no candy in the house, but I knew I had a package of Aldi sugar cookie mix. It's got simple directions: add one stick of butter, one egg, and one tablespoon of water. I follow the directions as written, except I always substitute a tablespoon of Mexican vanilla for the water. The vanilla is Molina brand from Sam's Club and comes in a 33 oz. clear plastic bottle. I mixed this all together quickly, without wearing my trifocal glasses. After everything was mixed, I noticed that it just didn't smell as I remembered it should. I thought, could the mix have gone rancid; maybe the butter. Then I took a close look at the vanilla bottle. Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce. Oh no! Should I toss the cookie dough in the garbage? Nope, it'd be $4.00 wasted. So, I scooped and baked 4 cookies. They taste fine. My grandkids might not like them, but I ate all four while they were warm and somewhat soft.

I remember Sam's selling a 16oz McCormick bottle of vanilla for around $15 in a plastic pop bottle. Then you go to the regular grocery store and pay $5 for 1oz. Putting the screws to ya.

I brought the rest of the cookie dough to my daughter's house and baked the cookies after I added half a bag of milk chocolate chips from my daughter's kitchen. The kids loved them.