THEY'RE ALMOST HISTORY

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Well, I know this may not interest anyone but, I'm a bit happy because after 45 years of smoking cigarettes, 35 years in which I smoked Camel non-filters, I'm down to one stinking cigarette a day. After about five consecutive years of smoking a pipe the pipe is winning. Now if I can just quit that first cigarette of the day I'll have it licked. This has certainly freed up quite a bit of money considering I use to smoke 4 cartons a month and then went down to two and last few months I've gone down to one at $74 a carton that's nothing to sneeze at. Last month I only bought 5 packs which cost me $54.
I don't even spend that kind of money at one time for pipe tobacco. What's really surprising is I haven't even the want to smoke a cigarette except that 1st one in the morn with my coffee. It seems that 2-3 pipes a day get me through and I can't say I inhale more then 50%.
I also can't say I feel any better physically for it but, what the hey, I'm no Jack Lalanne.  
New Years resolution? NO! don't believe in that hog wash. That one cigarette will vanish in time, maybe tomorrow, maybe the next, maybe by next year. Doesn't really matter that much at this point to me, I know it's on it's way out and, when it does I'll have a little celebration.
Heck it took me 6 years to finally quit a 25 year drinking spree and I haven't had a drink in about 20 years now. (Yep, started drinking when I started smoking) So I'm a slow and steady kinda of guy but, we get'er done!

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS bro. It took me almost three years doin it the same way and have been cig free for almost two years now. And I'll tell ya, YOU WILL start feelin' better, just takes time. I'm still coughin' up crud out of my lungs and am told I will for a bit longer but it's BETTER it comes OUT than goin' IN ! Keep it up bro !!  :) :D 

Oops! I reckon I didn't hit the send button on my earlier post.
Thank you guys, I truly appreciate it.

Oh, and Monbla, never coughed or had any mucus in the back of my throat until I started smoking a pipe. Eh! go figure.

Cartaphilus":i0d7gyzx said:
Oops! I reckon I didn't hit the send button on my earlier post.
Thank you guys, I truly appreciate it.

Oh, and Monbla, never coughed or had any mucus in the back of my throat until I started smoking a pipe. Eh! go figure.
I didn't start the coughing 'till I had completely stopped the cigs. No big deal as it's a sign things are getting BETTER  :p 

Good luck, I had my last nail almost 3 weeks ago and already feel better. I am not coughing up a lung in the morning and just have a better outlook on things.

Good luck. I quit fer about 5 years. Then started smoking way too many cigars fer about 2 years. So then I quit that. After so many years of nothing I got into the pipe. But I will only allow myself a bowl about 5 times a year. CONDRATULATIONS!

Congratulations on almost beating the dreaded cigarette. It's a big deal in my book.

Thank you guys!
I think if I every get down to only 5 bowls a year I'll just give up the pipe.
Although I imagine all your tobac is well aged.

gravel":gxpqcym3 said:
Congratulations! That is no small thing to drop to one!
Thank you Gravel! It just happened without really even trying. I enjoy the flavor of the pipe over a cigarette as you can understand and I reckon I've either weened myself of the nic or I get enough from a pipe to sustain me longer. Either way I'm happy about it. Thank you and all again.

Those cigarettes are the hardest thing to kick. It took me 3 or 4 tries before I finally said good bye to the damn things. It's the habit that keeps you in it as much as the nicotine. When I smoked I couldn't start the car without pushing in the cigarette lighter (Remember when cars came with those?), it was pure force of habit. Get rid of that last cigarette when you chose.