Things have hit the fan

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've said it elsewhere as you know Jim but my thoughts, well wishes and prayers are always with you my friend but more so now in these terribly trying times.

Wish I could help you out with the financial strains Buddy but it's best I can do to keep myself afloat these days, have you thought about one of those online fund raiser thingies to see if folk can help you out with a few bucks here and there, I'm sure folks would be more than happy to help you through this harrowing time, if nothing else than to help you get a hot meal of a day.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I hope things get better soon. My best wishes are with you and your family.

Found out a little while ago that they've scheduled an echo-cardiogram for the morning for Katie. First step to putting her back on dialysis. Really wish the docs would grow a pair and just come out and tell me what they're doing. I only found out because her nurse thought I should know. Will let you guys know what they decide.

Hey Huff, my prayers and thoughts are with you and your family as you all work through this. Stay strong.

huffelpuff":n5ufushi said:
Really wish the docs would grow a pair and just come out and tell me what they're doing. I only found out because her nurse thought I should know. Will let you guys know what they decide.
And that's nursing for ya...the docs are probably wondering what to do and playing it safe.  Not for your sake, but usually for the hospital and malpractice concerns.   Nurses are tossed around enough. They're the people that do the interpersonal/decent jobs the docs often won't. Which is why they drive 10 year old Toyota Camrys. :)

Meanwhile, fingers crossed, Huff...we're here if you need us.

8)

Things have taken a turn for the better here. Dani's bosses went to visit her today and let her know that they are making sure she gets paid time off for this. So things are much less bleak looking. She's improving rapidly and should be out of the hospital in 2-3 days. Katie has embraced the fact that she's going back on dialysis. We may be out of here tomorrow or a few days down the road depending on whether or not the dialysis unit in Laramie is licensed to treat minors or not. If not she will have to go back on peritoneal dialysis for a little over a year before she can switch over to hemo. If she has to do PD then she'll need surgery before we leave to place the catheter so it has time to heal before they start using it. All in all I'd say a pretty good day.

Kyle, too true my friend. Most Drs just don't have any real bedside manner anymore. Leaving the nurses to smooth things over. Glad to see your still hanging with us weirdos.

Jim

Ok so they've kicked us out of the hospital. Instead they are putting us up a hotel for the next three days while they work on getting us a room at the Ronald McDonald house. They are putting her back on hemo-dialysis. The dialysis centers in Laramie is willing to treat her. Their stipulations are that the fistula surgery be down here and the first two weeks of her dialysis treatments. Early morning to have the vein mapping done for the surgery. Will keep you all posted as it develops.

Jim

huffelpuff":hnjs4v1c said:
Ok so they've kicked us out of the hospital. Instead they are putting us up a hotel for the next three days while they work on getting us a room at the Ronald McDonald house. They are putting her back on hemo-dialysis. The dialysis centers in Laramie is willing to treat her. Their stipulations are that the fistula surgery be down here and the first two weeks of her dialysis treatments. Early morning to have the vein mapping done for the surgery. Will keep you all posted as it develops.

Jim
That sounds like progress, or at least a direction.

8)

While certainly not the outcome we hoped for you're right, at least its a direction. Surgery tomorrow at 11 mountain time. Will let y'all know how it goes as soon as I can.

So she's finally out of surgery and in a room for the night. They started the surgery an hour late and ran over by more than 3 hours. So all together more than 5 hours on the table. Dr. put in the fistula first, it was really small but all he had to work with. Then spent a good 4 hours trying to get the catheter placed. He tried twice in the left neck, once in the right neck, once in the left subclavian. He ended up going for the veins in her groin. Someone is really not gonna be happy with that when she comes to fully. By the time he got the catheter placed the new fistula had clotted off. He had to reopen her wrist and massage the vein to break up the clots. Hopefully it recovers I really don't want to do this again. Anyway she's doing fine, I'm exhausted and gonna crash on the wooden bench I get here. Good nite and God bless and you all!

You've had a workout, Jim. Where you get the strength, I haven't a clue.
Your whole family are fighters, so stay strong and we'll keep the prayers going.
Try to get some rest, too.
Walt

Continuing hopes and prayers for your family here. Hang in there.

huffelpuff":mavsn0pk said:
Anyway she's doing fine, I'm exhausted and gonna crash on the wooden bench I get here. Good nite and God bless and you all!
I like good news.

I'm not a religious man, but she and you are the ones blessed for having each other around, and things (finally!) going in your favor.    For both of you, keep up the strength and hope.   Life ain't complicated, but it sure is a mother-effer sometimes.   :heart:

8)