Things to do in Zurich (and maybe the rest of Europe too)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
We are taking a trip in June to visit my brother & sister in law in Zurich for two weeks. I've never really been out of the country before except for Aruba on our honeymoon so I'm pretty excited. I'm sure my in laws will have plenty to keep us entertained but I thought perhaps you fine folks might have some suggestions on some must see places and must do things.

For the first week we will probably stay in Switzerland, then the second week we will most likely expand our travels to any number of other countries within train travel distance so really any suggestions at all are welcome.

Amsterdam is just about my favorite place in the world. They have an amazing Scheepvaart (maritime museum), friendly locals, everyone speaks English, a Davidoff store, and...something else...oh yeah, pickled herrings!

When in Switzerland, take a boat trip on the Lake of Lucerne: You will see the origins of Switzerland, and also part of the Swiss Alps.

If you have time: Venice, Italy. It is so different than anything I have ever seen. The train takes you there, after that, it is all by boat.

Markus

Harlock999":h4y14rhw said:
...something else...oh yeah, pickled herrings!
Oh, is that what them secrets of Amsterdam are called these days? :lol:

eon":4hr1dpbn said:
Harlock999":4hr1dpbn said:
...something else...oh yeah, pickled herrings!
Oh, is that what them secrets of Amsterdam are called these days? :lol:
Oh, so you've had some too... :cheers:

P.S. My apologies for not staying on subject here.

A second for Amsterdam and add Copenhagen. Two great cities. Most Northern European cities are much cleaner and more vibrant than most U.S. cities, (don't get me started, I teach Urban Planning courses and was a city planner for a while!). Maastricht also a great place. We used to have a campus there and we'd talk students for a summer session. Hard to keep them out of the beer/marijuana bars, though!

Of course, if you have three hours to "kill", you could always: http://www.wimp.com/eigerrecord/

Natch

Synjeco !!!!!

Hans Surch's Mogano is the one legendary cigar leaf pipe fodder that only rich people here have ever tasted.

Several of his others are also widely reputed to stand on a footing with GLP's.

Missing them (and stocking up on those you especially liked) would be a pipular blunder good for rest-of-your-life face wipes every time you remembered it.

Granted, it would take some monumental effort to smoke all the contenders while you were there to see which ones you liked best, but the supreme effort required would be worth it.

:face:

If/when you're in Germany, and you get good weather, go to a pub/cafe in the afternoon and sit outside and people watch with a drink and a smoke. If you're worrying about anything at that point, you're doing it wrong.

The German countryside as seen from a train or along the autobahn is really gorgeous. Don't get discouraged by how train tracks and stations look in smaller cities, as for some reason or another they're one of the dirtiest places in any town. But the main train station in a big city is a sight to behold--they have about anything you would guess people can put into a train station and then some. Ice cream, books, fast food, jewelry, travel agencies, baked goods, and tobacco shops: the big German tobacco chain is called Dürninger, they have affiliates in big (and not-so-big) stations and malls across the country and sell a variety of products from a variety of producers (it's where I was able to find Three Nuns).

Finding people who speak English well enough to really understand is kind of hit or miss in my experience. Most blue- and some white-collar Germans learn English in school as kids and almost never use it in their adult lives. People who only speak broken English will tell you they don't speak any out of embarrassment or because it's really difficult for them. Areas that get more tourism obviously have more English speakers. American tourists who don't get drunk and/or insult people should have no problem making friends, so don't worry about that.

A couple of friends and I rode the train from Amsterdam to Zermatt, Switzerland. It was one of my most favorite vacations! Zermatt is beautiful!

Excellent suggestions and input so far guys. I appreciate it very much!