This is What Happens when you don't Pay Attention

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked into this Wabi Sabi thing and viewed several of the items representing it.
In my simple opinion it's putting a silk cap on a sow and calling it art. Here's an example
below of what they cal Wabi Sabi, again in my opinion a sad job said to be beauty of art.
Maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist to see it and without trying to be antagonistic or combative, I wouldn't use this to feed my dog out of. :fpalm:
Sorry Jack

I've arrived a bit late to this one but at least I've avoided the "it's great Ron", "No it's not :twisted: " ping-pong.
I look at it this way:
Is it a decent pipe - Yes
Is it the pipe you wanted to make - No
Are the pits a problem - For me - Yes, both because of their position and extent (and the phallic shape doesn't help :) )
If you had a blaster you might have been able to make it more like the Stanwell and hide the pits but you don't so it's off to the shop with this one!
Is it a shame - Yes
Is it the end of the world - No
Will you get over it and go on to make better pipes - Yes undoubtedly

As for the Wabi Sabi thing - b******s (english profanity) - that's just a way of trying to sell cockups for more than a decent original.

Just my two penneth worth.

You know the thing about Wabi Sabi...and it's not alone in the world of art...a rusticated pipe is an excellent example. Beautiful and prized Wabi Sabi and beautiful Rustic pipes are both made by masters...those who have mastered the standard shapes...the Freehand, etc. Once this is done, after years of active creative work they turn their hannd to creating the simp!e, Rustic pieces. I look at the cup/bowl you chose to show as an example and I see the hand of a master...it's perfect. It's like a Japanese garden or rock sculpture or Bonsai where the small work by human hands is meant to represent the nature of it's larger aspects in the natural world. The roughly made simple cup represents the nature of clay, the glaze, the firing process, etc. that created it. Just my spin.

Blackhorse":fdd00i27 said:
You know the thing about Wabi Sabi...and it's not alone in the world of art...a rusticated pipe is an excellent example. Beautiful and prized Wabi Sabi and beautiful Rustic pipes are both made by masters...those who have mastered the standard shapes...the Freehand, etc. Once this is done, after years of active creative work they turn their hannd to creating the simp!e, Rustic pieces. I look at the cup/bowl you chose to show as an example and I see the hand of a master...it's perfect.  It's like a Japanese garden or rock sculpture or Bonsai where the small work by human hands is meant to represent the nature of it's larger aspects in the natural world. The roughly made simple cup represents the nature of clay, the glaze, the firing process, etc. that created it.  Just my spin.
:lol!: Some ones Fishing tonight.......... :lol:

Blackhorse":8qp2dpid said:
Someone's fishing tonight?  Sorry, I don't understand.
You trying to tell me you like that pot? :lol!: Or on the wynd up which is my guess.. :joker:

Cartaphilus":ygdor1dq said:
...Here's an example
below of what they cal Wabi Sabi, again in my opinion a sad job said to be beauty of art.
Looks like something somebody pulled out of their failed plumbing.

To me, it's more than just an art or a creation of art. It is about the ancient things we own that have been damaged in some way and yet not tossed aside in the rubbish. It's finding beauty in an item that may have been chipped or cracked and keeping it and using it anyway. Items develop a warmness and a patina that most people never even realize because this is a throw away society. To me, it's like the fellow on BoB here the other day who bought that great old 1930s pipe and people assumed he would restore it to like new condition. He was of the same mindset as I am about things. A little sprucing up to make it usable and yet letting it maintain the patina of years of use by other gents.

I'm not really a collector of art per se, meaning pieces made as art. That's all great and all, but I'll let someone else pursue that... that's why I collect early English bibles and such... it's the use of the items that I appreciate. As my username indicates, I pretty much like things simple and the simple things in life.

I also prefer old cars over new ones, and they don't need to be of showroom or car show quality either.

ADDED: Or the more Cart-like answer... screw ya', I was just kidding about you selling it as wabi-sabi anyway. Most likely, you'd spell it wrong on the advertisement anyway. ;)

Examples of what I'm talking about...
rsz_244fb54549c45e70ebc65b43689e5ef5_zpsw2bnp79b.jpg
rsz_wabi-sabi-butterfly-joint_zpso9wlzgpe.jpg

Simple Man":ty1dq4ru said:
To me, it's more than just an art or a creation of art. It is about the ancient things we own that have been damaged in some way and yet not tossed aside in the rubbish. It's finding beauty in an item that may have been chipped or cracked and keeping it and using it anyway. Items develop a warmness and a patina that most people never even realize because this is a throw away society. To me, it's like the fellow on BoB here the other day who bought that great old 1930s pipe and people assumed he would restore it to like new condition. He was of the same mindset as I am about things. A little sprucing up to make it usable and yet letting it maintain the patina of years of use by other gents.

I'm not really a collector of art per se, meaning pieces made as art. That's all great and all, but I'll let someone else pursue that... that's why I collect early English bibles and such... it's the use of the items that I appreciate. As my username indicates, I pretty much like things simple and the simple things in life.

I also prefer old cars over new ones, and they don't need to be of showroom or car show quality either.

ADDED: Or the more Cart-like answer... screw ya', I was just kidding about you selling it as wabi-sabi anyway. Most likely, you'd spell it wrong on the advertisement anyway. ;)

Examples of what I'm talking about...
rsz_244fb54549c45e70ebc65b43689e5ef5_zpsw2bnp79b.jpg
rsz_wabi-sabi-butterfly-joint_zpso9wlzgpe.jpg
Jack, These two you posted I understand and like because there done with skill and craftsmanship but, the one I posted...................naw, naw, it aint art, it's just sloppy with another name. ;)

Richard Burley":eu1dqgqn said:
Cartaphilus":eu1dqgqn said:
...Here's an example
Looks like something somebody pulled out of their failed plumbing.
+1 ;)

The guy on American Pickers is always talking about leaving old motorcycles and cars with a bit of the rust and patina on them instead of making them look like new, that's the same idea...

Cartaphilus":vkqn9bcj said:
Jack, These two you posted I understand and like because there done with skill and craftsmanship but, the one I posted...................naw, naw, it aint art, it's just sloppy with another name. ;)
Ha ha, that was your example, not mine. :lol:

Although, I have an old bowl that my nephew made for me when he was a little boy that looks a lot rougher than that and I love it. He was later killed in a car wreck when he was 19. I'd rather have that old bowl than a new one made of solid gold. I use it to dry my tobacco in before loading the pipe, and it always makes me smile.

Allyby -

It's a broad world my friend, room for many tastes and judgements. I don't laugh at those who don't understand or appreciate a certain esthetic...and you shouldn't laugh at those who do.

Simple Man":mbmn7123 said:
Cartaphilus":mbmn7123 said:
Ha ha, that was your example, not mine. :lol:

Although, I have an old bowl that my nephew made for me when he was a little boy that looks a lot rougher than that and I love it. He was later killed in a car wreck when he was 19. I'd rather have that old bowl than a new one made of solid gold. I use it to dry my tobacco in before loading the pipe, and it always makes me smile.
Well Jack, that's a different story. It has great sentimental value and I certainly would feel the same way.
I've kept all my daughters art work and things she made for me when she was just a little girl and I value those much higher then anything I own. My daughter is very special to me and anything her hand has made is priceless to me. ;)

Blackhorse":2xncox6p said:
Allyby -

It's a broad world my friend, room for many tastes and judgements. I don't laugh at those who don't understand or appreciate a certain esthetic...and you shouldn't laugh at those who do.  
I was laughing at you because I thought you were having a joke with us, if I have misunderstood that then I'm sorry but that pot is still a Turd however you look at it.

Just my point of view of course.

Allyby - don't be sorry because you misunderstood something. It took me about five years of World Art, Modern Art, Asian Art, Art History, Sculpture, Metalsmithing, Design, Drawing, etc., etc. at the University level to develop my current level of appreciation. What I see and understand is affected by that...hopefully.

Blackhorse":8ngjx9c0 said:
...It took me about five years of World Art, Modern Art, Asian Art, Art History, Sculpture, Metalsmithing, Design, Drawing, etc., etc. at the University level to develop my current level of appreciation. What I see and understand is affected by that...
Of that I have no doubt. ;)