This is what the beginnings of briar burnout looks like.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A while back I spotted a beautiful estate Cornelius Mänz I just had to get my hands on.  I bought it, cleaned it, and smoked it.  It got really hot at the bottom.  Next time, I was careful to smoke it very slowly, but the bottom still got too hot to handle.  When I put it down to clean it, I was horrified to find a dark spot at the bottom of the bowl.  I am sure the problem was too little briar there, perhaps augmented by careless reaming at some point. The shape is similar to the one in Kyle's photo, and so is the damage.

I contacted the seller, Andreas Harm at Esterval´s Pipe House, and described the problem.  He asked for a picture, which I sent, and he immediately refunded my money.  This was my furst purchase from him, but I have been his customer ever since.

MaenzBurnout_zps30fce455.jpg

Good to hear the problem was resolved fairly. Looks like exactly the same issue.

PS, the Tsuge pipe mudded up is showing promises of an extended life. Just a battle scar on the outside. Bottom is cool now. Should have done that a year ago... C'est la vie.

8)

Pipes are meant to be smoked until they cannot any longer. Go for it, and good luck.

Kyle Weiss":ohuwpm01 said:
Pipes are meant to be smoked until they cannot any longer.  Go for it, and good luck.
And then, when the pipe cannot be smoked no more, what happens to it?

Fr_Tom":urz4us4s said:
SpeedyPete":urz4us4s said:
Kyle Weiss":urz4us4s said:
Pipes are meant to be smoked until they cannot any longer.  Go for it, and good luck.
The person settling your estate sells them on Ebay.
...as a collectors item in good condition.....?

Fr_Tom":jwslf1a7 said:
SpeedyPete":jwslf1a7 said:
Kyle Weiss":jwslf1a7 said:
The person settling your estate sells them on Ebay.
That or perhaps cast them in resin to make a very unique looking paperweight.