This Peterson haunts me,

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdus

Reaction score
Sherlock P-Lip

I frankly can’t stop thinking of this pipe. The only turn off is that P-Lip. Don’t know it, never tried it. Anyone can tell me about Peterson and/or that PLip?

From what I gather either you love or hate the P-Lip. Personally, it wasn’t for me, mostly because I thought the airway was too narrow, constricting the draw and making it hard to get a cleaner through.

The whole point was to have the smoke go to the roof of your mouth instead of directly on your tongue.  I suppose it was a solution for puffers and tongue bite

Just to be contrary and offer a different opinion... I like the p-lip, and have never had a problem with draw or pipe cleaners EXCEPT that you can't run one down the stem mid-smoke. They are a little different, and people seem to either like them or dislike them.

I wasn't sure about them either in '87. There was a nice rustic one in a shop. After severl looks I spoke with the owner of the shop and made the purchase. They work for me I have three system pipes and several other Peterson pipes.

I do not enjoy smoking P-lips.  I have one that is smoked only rarely because it burns the roof of my mouth.

Besides, I have it on good authority that Sherlock smoked a churchwarden...:)

ibl89z.jpg

I have one or two with p-lips and i don't mind then at all. The draw on mine is fine and i can get a cleaner through them. They are a bit more narrow than my other stems but not still ok.

I have 3 Petes, one with a P-lip. The P-lip pipe - a 20s shape was the first Pete I bought over 15 years ago and when I was somewhat enamored with the Peterson. I didn't like it as like someone else said, it burned the roof of my mouth. Every time I smoked it I felt I was getting a cold because of the soreness. But...I've wanted to like i tfor years so after some discussion recently, reading blogs at "Petersonpipenotes", and now being a more experience/educated smoker I gave it another try. This time I didn't mind it. I like the comfort factor of the P-lip too. I didn't get the soreness at the roof of my mouth either, however my mouth felt a bit dry - which just means I have to have a nice single malt while pipe smoking! Now, I will admit I just did this a few days ago so I want to give it fair bit more before I really decide on the P-lip.

I think the difference laid firstly in the tobacco. Some tobaccos burn hotter so I used one that I don't experience tongue bite with when using a fishtail mouth piece, ( St. Bruno Flake). On the advice of Mark from PPNs I also tried to be conscious of my cadence in drawing on the pipe.

I really hope I can solve the dry or sore palette issue as I've turned down some really lovely pipes because they have a P-lip.

If it is peterson system pipe,there has to be p-lip! They are planned to work together,and when you learn to smoke and use it, it is very enjoyable!!!
I have 10 petersons,and there are 2 de luxes,mark twain,1 oom paul with the p-lip,and i simply love them!
Most of my pipes are from sixties and seveties,becouse i got my fathers collection when he past away..
I have to say,the briar and craftmanship were really much better then!!
My new pipes are not nearly as good as my old stuff..

Since replying to this post in September I became even more interested in discovering the Peterson world. I scored a beautiful, gnarly sandblasted 301 with a p-lip and have smoked it several times with none of the negative effects I had encountered before (burned roof of my mouth etc). For me, a Peterson system pipe, at least is something I have to smoke when I'm sitting relaxing or I puff on it like a steam locomotive with out realizing. If I'm going to work and putter around with a smoking pipe I have to use another one in my rotation.

I have to say I'm becoming a budding "Pete freak" now that I've been following blogs on petersonpipenotes.com. I'd love to get the Peterson Pipe Book, (a history of the company and it's pipes" and "The Pipes of Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes"

I love the Plip and hope to have enough Petersons to do half of my weekly rotation...I love to read Sherlock Holmes when I am smoking my Holmes Peterson.....

From a one-year (or thereabout) P-Lip convert: Use Dill pipe cleaners to draw any unwanted gurgle while you're smoking your Pete P-lip. They're just the ticket - skinny enough to go right through the hole and reach the bowl and extract, AND you can use the opposite end if and when the time comes for another clearing! Of course I use them when cleaning at the end of the smoke as well. Get them at Pipes and Cigars. Dills Pipe Cleaners. The ONLY one to use on a P-Lip Pete!