This 'Trek

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valdus

Reaction score
I mentioned this on another thread. Not sure how many of you follow Star Trek religiously- but I do. I am mulling and fermenting in my head, pondering it with a good bowl, whether I agree or disagree with this new streaming Trek- I mean ST: Discovery.

First, what I call the douche-move- streaming on an exclusive (and poor) service in the United States, while it is "free" on Netflix all over the planet. I am not sure if Gene would have agreed with this, though I am sure the creator wanted to make money as much as anyone.

I just see a Utopian future where there is no economy and where all sentient life enjoys a comfortable existence; where there is an end to hunger and poverty, where freakin' cheeseburgers can be made out of thin-air- being shown on an exclusive subscription as a very low low move. Why not make this on free TV, after all, shouldn't it be Trek for all?

I got a lot of other problems with the show, speaking about content, but I will leave that if this thread gets any puffs of opinion.

But in my humble, unlike many other Trekkies, any Trek does not mean good Trek!

So not so much about the show as it is CBS trying to get people to move to a paid subscriber model instead of getting paid by CBS Affiliates.   I did some work in this space.  It isn't pretty but this is where the industry is heading.  CBS is a bit more iron fisted with their affiliates and content.

I am a die hard Trek fan almost boarding on obsessed. I try to watch each series at least once a year. I have actually taken classes at the Starfleet Academy (there is an online Starfleet group that has an online Academy that is actually pretty well put together) lol.

Fortunately I spend enough time out of the country deployed that i have been able to keep up with Discovery. It's really not the worst of the Treks and it does have a lot of action but also still the Star Trek diplomacy. If I am in country when the next season comes out I will see if my VPN well work to watch it.

Series in order of bestness (I officially declare that is now a word) is as follows

TNG
VOY
TOS
ENT
DS9
TAS

Discovery...TDB lol

It's a beautiful show. It definitely feels like Trek, to some extent. But it's not Prime. It's not even Kelvin. They're trying desperately to make it Prime, but I'll never accept it as such. My biggest issue other than the Prime blunder is it's not episodic like all other Trek has been. It doesn't deal with the social and political environment at the time like the old ones do. It's just one long drama.

Sure, in the old Treks there was usually some kind of underlying story throughout the season, no matter how small or vague, but every episode generally can stand on its own without any other episodes needing to be reviewed to get the primary story.

The Orville is filling in that real Star Trek need for me now. Disco is just pretty and fun television.

I like the continuing story's sometimes. I liked the way Enterprise did it with basically each season being a story but the episodes could basically stand on their own, WORST last episode of any show though. I think Discovery will be good. I'm looking forward to the new Picard show.

I keep watching The Orville hoping it gets good lol

How do you feel about the newer Star Trek movies?