Those McClelland Orients ???

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slow Puffs

Reaction score
Some time back, there was a big "splash" about these new orientals.... I bought one of each but haven't tried them. Has any grown fond of any of these new orientals, or was this just a passing fad..?
-Paul

I got to try one, had a bowl of the highlander I believe, and I got too big a hit of the McClelland ketchup thing to "Get" the orientals. I like the ketchup thing, doesn't bother me, but it did mask what I was hoping to discover. I'd imagine that after a few years in the cellar these would become quite interesting. [i've noticed in smoking some McClellands with several years on them that the ketchup note is very minimal]

Good question Puffs. I also picked up two tins of YENIDJE SUPREME and two tins of YENICE AGONYA. I haven't cracked them either because :
1. I feel like I should let 'em sit for a few months, maybe a year
2. I already have a couple of other orientals that I'm focussed on at the moment
3. I need to crack that 1998 tin of Oriental#8 that is showing early signs of rust

I think pipetongue1 bought a few of these Grand Orientals. Maybe he will find his way over here and chime in.

Puff Daddy":b9hoihat said:
I got to try one, had a bowl of the highlander I believe, and I got too big a hit of the McClelland ketchup thing to "Get" the orientals. I like the ketchup thing, doesn't bother me, but it did mask what I was hoping to discover. I'd imagine that after a few years in the cellar these would become quite interesting. [i've noticed in smoking some McClellands with several years on them that the ketchup note is very minimal]
Without sounding to dumb, can you explain the "ketchup thing". I have a tin of 2007 Christmas Cheer unopened in the cellar, am I at risk?

McC Va's usually have a very strong fermentation smell to them. Some claim it smells like Catsup, Me I think it smells like KC Masterpiece BBq Sause. I've never smelled/tasted it while smoking their blends, just in the pouch aroma. It repulses some, others claim to not smell it at all....Go figure

The ketchup thing varies with the blend. No big deal.

About those Grand Orientals. I think I have 4 of them at home. All good. All different. I wanted to spend more time with them before commenting too much. I also want to stock up on the others too.

Really interesting to open a tin, air it a bit and give it a good sniffing over. You think caramel. Maybe molassas. Not at all what you suppose you might smell for a blend that has a cigar like flavor when smoked.

It's amazing discoveries like that. All I have had are good. They are a bit subtle in some ways. Age will do some interesting tricks to be sure.

I like them and will buying more of them. I understood from reading somewhere that these could be limited. But don't quote me on that.

Can only say I have several "resting" at the moment. Won't open them for 2-3 years! I will be interested in ya'lls future comments and observations! FTRPLT

Greetings,

I've had about 2-3 bowls of 4 of them - not enough time for me and my challenged pallet to really know or comment about. I smoked: Yenice Agonya, Yenidje Supreme, Yenidji Highlander and Katerini Classic. My favorite so far is the katerini classic, but they were all very good.

I will say this ...

1. I found all 4 to be distinct from each other

2. I thought the typical McClelland's aroma was minimal (but my samples had aired out and dried some in thin plastic bags for several days).

3. I really enjoyed them all quite a bit. So much so that I will purchase several tins of each of these

My first impressions yield a grade of B+ to A- so far, but it really is too early for me to know for sure. Well, there are my initial impressions, FWIW.

TC