Thoughts on Dejarnett Pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horace lives here in the Phoenix area. I have at least three of his pipes and they are all fine smokers. His shapes tend to be freehands/standard shapes with a freehand twist if that makes sense. I have two pokers and a bulldog, all of which are freehands. He tends to create larger size bowls. The drilling is always spot on and they are all very good smokers. He purchases most of his briar from Pipe Makers Emporium and is very good friends with the owner there (Paul Hildebrant). He is one of the nicest pipe BOB's you could ever have the privilege of meeting IMHO.

I had Horace carve me a pipe at the end of 1999. He put a lot of effort into the job and came up with a nice pipe. The best part was the engraving. I believe that he had just found a person to do laser engraving. So under the DeJarnett logo (with a cool cactus), he added Handcrafted Especially for <my name>. That was impressive!

Horace makes a fine-smoking pipe, but most of his designs are a bit "chunky" for my personal taste.

I think I've owned three of Horace's pipes. All were fine smokers. Again, a bit chunky for some tastes.

From friends who have owned them,I've been told that they're rediculously heavy and they have a strange thick and crusty bole coating that needs to be sanded out completely before smoking. I honestly haven't heard many great things about the pipes....

Danish_Pipe_Guy":h8qy4uus said:
From friends who have owned them,I've been told that they're ridiculously heavy and they have a strange thick and crusty bole coating that needs to be sanded out completely before smoking. I honestly haven't heard many great things about the pipes....
Going by the pipes I own I would agree about them being heavy/larger pipes. They kind of remind me of the old 80's versions of the big Lorenzo pipes. Short and stout. If you prefer smaller pipes or traditional shapes DeJarnett pipes are definitely not for you. None of the ones I have seen or own though have had a thick or crusty bowl coating. As far as I know he uses crushed/powdered charcoal for the bowl coatings and it has been very light. I am not sure if he uses honey or non-flavored yogurt (which I have seen other carvers also use) to coat the charcoal onto the bowls. All of the ones I own are very good smokers IMHO. As they say your mileage may vary.

Just looking at the DeJarnett website I saw a post signed by Jan, Horace DeJarnett's wife, stating that he passed July 24, 2013. Sadly, now a broken pipe.