Thoughts on Pipe Dedication to Tobacco Families?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the past, through trial and error, I let the pipe choose which type of tobacco it preferred. It eventually sunk in that wider bowled pipes like Lat blends; narrower, deeper bowls welcome Virginias. This eyeball and forefinger approach worked so consistently for me that I stopped experimenting. PA is my break in blend, and then I dedicate pipe to tobacco by bowl size. This leaves some pipes "in the middle." Sometimes, these pipes will eventually announce a preference, but often as not, they prove to belong to the honorable order of "good smokers." So I've ended up with maybe a dozen pipes for English, an equal number for Vas, and the majority are whatever, whenever pipes. At one time, I set out to dedicate all my pipes, but the process quickly became annoying and didn't compensate with any special benefit. I now think having a large group of undedicated briars is a good thing. I've found visiting ghosts in my "whatever, whenever" group can be
pleasant, not unwelcome at all. Or maybe it's neither the pipes or tobacco, I've just aged into a "whatever, whenever" sort of person.

KevinM":1v9aowrn said:
In the past, through trial and error, I let the pipe choose which type of tobacco it preferred. It eventually sunk in that wider bowled pipes like Lat blends; narrower, deeper bowls welcome Virginias. This eyeball and forefinger approach worked so consistently for me that I stopped experimenting.  PA is my break in blend, and then I dedicate pipe to tobacco by bowl size.  This leaves some pipes "in the middle."  Sometimes, these pipes will eventually announce a preference, but often as not, they prove to belong to the honorable order of "good smokers." So I've ended up with maybe a dozen pipes for English, an equal number for Vas, and the majority are whatever, whenever pipes.  At one time, I set out to dedicate all my pipes, but the process quickly became annoying and didn't compensate with any special benefit. I now think having a large group of undedicated briars is a good thing.  I've found visiting ghosts in my "whatever, whenever" group can be
pleasant, not unwelcome at all. Or maybe it's neither the pipes or tobacco, I've just aged into a "whatever, whenever" sort of person.
Very well said Kevin. Nice synopsis.

8)

Cheers,

RR

KevinM":vk5lt0hl said:
In the past, through trial and error, I let the pipe choose which type of tobacco it preferred. It eventually sunk in that wider bowled pipes like Lat blends; narrower, deeper bowls welcome Virginias. This eyeball and forefinger approach worked so consistently for me that I stopped experimenting.  PA is my break in blend, and then I dedicate pipe to tobacco by bowl size.  This leaves some pipes "in the middle."  Sometimes, these pipes will eventually announce a preference, but often as not, they prove to belong to the honorable order of "good smokers." So I've ended up with maybe a dozen pipes for English, an equal number for Vas, and the majority are whatever, whenever pipes.  At one time, I set out to dedicate all my pipes, but the process quickly became annoying and didn't compensate with any special benefit. I now think having a large group of undedicated briars is a good thing.  I've found visiting ghosts in my "whatever, whenever" group can be
HERE HERE!!

I have a stable of briars for Virginia's and another for Latakia's. I keep aromatics in cobs and I smoke most of the burley's I enjoy in cobs as well.