Thoughts on the "new" London Mixture

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":ic9u80z8 said:
Doc, E and Smoker99-- thanks! I'll have to grab a tin of the Murray's before it isn't there any more, and get some "Medium" while I'm at it.

Not sure how I came to the conclusion, but I had always had it solid in my mind that Orlik is and will be the makers of the current Dunhill incarnations of pipe tobacco, and that K&K were only the distributors for them. Which is good, Orlik/Scandinavian Tobacco Group is lighting my fire, for sure. Or at least providing me with the combustibles. :D
While you are there, get some of that older London Mixture you mentioned they had as well. :twisted:

When I save up a bit, I'll make a run on a few tins. I promise. Report to follow (eventually).

thank you for the info Gravel , it is hard to know who to believe on this days. As you know ,the source was the same (radio show).

Kyle Weiss":trcbpnv0 said:
Just kidding. But really, my Tinder Box has a half dozen tins of this stuff--except it's pre-Orlik. They won't order any more until those are sold. *sigh* So I haven't tried the new stuff. I really enjoy the care Orlik has put into their leaf.
Kyle, does your Tinder Box have an online or mailing presence? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would help them sell out the old dunhill stuff out of curiousity.

--Alex

HCraven":w52mcgc7 said:
I'm glad to hear that it compares well to the older blends, though I never had the pleasure of smoking them. Thanks for the heads-up though, Monbla. My local shop just got a shipment of Dunhill in, including a fair bit of London Blend, so I'll pick up a tin or two and try it. I always appreciate when I can get one of my favorites locally, as I can with Escudo, Dunhill Flake, and, occasionally, Balkan Sobranie. Now if only they'd get Hal O' The Wynd, I'd be a truly happy guy...
I did pick up a tin this week as planned, and smoked my first bowl yesterday. As expected, this blend was more tilted toward the Orientals than any other Dunhill I've tried, and even more so than Squadron Leader, I think. The Orientals really shine and reveal their spicy, musty flavor better than any other English/Balkan mixture I've tried. Monbla is also right about the tin moisture: it smokes perfectly straight from a freshly opened tin, though I picked up on a little sharpness in the Virginia that experience with other blends tells me will probably settle down after a day or two. Though I'm still getting a feel for the tobacco, I think it is unique and tasty enough to become a staple in my rotation, and may even earn favored status after a few more bowls. A great job by Orlik as usual, and my compliments to Monbla for the recommendation.