Thoughts on Tom Eltang pokers?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jevverrett

Reaction score
I normally buy myself one higher end pipe a year, as a Christmas treat. This year I’ve been considering a Eltang poker. I found one I like on smokingpipes Europe, a rusticated model without the bamboo. I was looking at the basic models earlier this year, and thought they were really cool, but too small of a bowl. I got to drooling over this one on SP Europe, when I noticed they’re not that much bigger than the basic. I haven’t found any evidence there are larger versions available anywhere. I found a video of Shane Ireland holding one, and it looks a bit petite in his hand.

Considering the price, now I’m on the fence. As much as I want it, if it’s too small I know I won’t ultimately smoke it often. It’s pretty pricey to sit on a shelf. If anybody has one, I’d appreciate your thoughts. And maybe a pic, next to a familiar object like an old boy lighter.

I've found Danish pipes, especially in the past couple decades, to be on the small side. Of course, you'll see largish freehands from Preben Holm, Nording, etc, but when they hit one of their basic shapes, they're usually on the smaller side. If you went by the Dunhill scale, group 3 is the norm (or a small group 4). I'd trust SP's measurements on the right side of the corresponding page. Not the feedback you were after, but I too have had to re-adjust my expectations when buying contemporary Danish pipes. On the bright side, one of my biggest initial disappoints turned out to be one of the best smokers I've ever owned. I have a hunch it has something to do with stretching their briar supply.

Last edited:
J - have you considered commissioning our own Ron of RD pipes to craft a poker for you? His work is exemplary as you may have seen, and the engineering is second to none. His bowl sizes are pretty generous. I can personally attest to this. Plus, his costs are quite moderate for what you get. Just sayin'....

Cheers,

RR

The Eltang pokers are generally on the small side...sub 5" in length with chamber drilling around 17mm-18mm. On the bright side, they are fantastic smokers. You may also consider a rusticated poker by Mike Sebastian Bay as well, who worked for Tom for some time and uses his signature rustication. Also great smokers at about 2/3 the price.

Last edited:
Short as opposed to long doesn’t bother me, necessarily. The bowls on them seem decently deep at about 1 5/8in. The real issue in my mind is my index finger. I know it’s somewhat bad form, but I use it as a tamper more often than not. So, a pipe where my finger won’t fit to the bottom with wiggle room to spare is a dog that won’t hunt. Too bad, they are beautiful pipes of legendary character. Maybe I’m back to edging into the collector side of pipe smoking. Not a good side to be on at this point in my life. I actually liquidated a handful of high end pipes I didn’t smoke a year or so ago, bc they just sat on a rack looking pretty. I may have to look into this Mike fella, and Ron’s pipes again.

I second asking Ron to comission a pipe. I own four and they're all excellent smokes with very accomodating bowls.

I second asking Ron to comission a pipe. I own four and they're all excellent smokes with very accomodating bowls.
I think thats the way to go. How does one contact him? On here, or through his website?