Thoughts on Zippos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Well, after only posting a few months ago saying how my very cheap lighter from China was still soldiering on, it appears it has decided to flaunt me by having a mechanical failure; the button no longer 'catches' so it won't produce a spark. I can't grumble. For the price it's given me approx. 2 years' good service, however it needs to be replaced. So!

I've been looking at Zippos with the pipe insert but am aware that the petrol flame may taint the taste of the 'baccy.

Before I go ahead and make a purchase I'd be grateful if those who currently use a Zippo would share their thoughts. Do you detect any contamination when using or do I not need to be concerned and take the plunge?

Many thanks in advance,

Stick.

The reports of the Zippo fuel tainting the 'baccy are exaggerated afaic David. The aroma of it burns off after the flame is lit in less than a second, and there's no danger of it influencing the nature of the 'baccy. I've only ever used the fuel in the black cans, and apparently this formula is less reactive than the previous iteration.

My sole gripe with a Zippo is that the unit needs to be refuelled frequently as the fuel seems to evaporate quickly through the casing body. There's been posts where some folks have mitigated this by wrapping the internal body with tape or using a food grade grease, but I've not tried this.

Hence, my Zippo doesn't see much action these days. But I do like it.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

I do get an after taste when using any lighter. It seems to me to last most of the pipe full. I prefer matches, however, if I do need to use a lighter, I would use butane only. Just my 2 nickles worth (had to raise the price due to pennys no longer being worth the cost of making them.)

I don't find that a Zippo taints the tobacco at all; you can definitely smell the fluid sometimes when lighting, but there is no taint to the tobacco that I can discern. Perhaps others are more sensitive than I. The way to light a pipe is with wooden matches anyhow; the Zippo is most useful as an outdoor expedient.

Here's an experiment I did for an explanation why I use torch lighters for cigars.  I don't own a zippo so I can't test the difference between a soft flame butane and a zippo, but give it a shot and see if the zippo is better or worse. I prefer matches for my pipes but I do use butane lighters if I'm driving or it's windy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y42e8tzLHxM" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

I have used matches, (nice to the pipe but I get either sulfur and/or paper/wood taste), soft butane(for years and never noticed a taste), and my trusty group of Zippos. One has the butane insert (hardly windproof), one has the pipe insert (my favorite BTW, easy on pipe, you light from the underside of the flame, no noticeable taste effect from fuel and moderately windproof), and a few using the standard chimney (some noticeable taste from poorly combusted fuel, as you are using the top of the flame, and extremely windproof. For example, after topping off the lighter, went outside in a wind, lit the thing and it flared and carried on....... funny stuff).

The preferred fuel for Zippo lighters is Naptha. The purer the better. I can get it for about $20 a gallon. I also use it as a thinner, cleaner, etc. I have one of those refill bottles from about 10 or so years ago I just keep refilling for my lighters. I think their website also sells little fuel bottles for those weekenders in the mountains. Yah they do waft out their fuel unlike the butanes, as they have no true seal. I have however managed weekenders on a single top-off before heading out.

Then there is the service, if required.. Pretty great!

That's about the long of the short of it.

I actually knock the head of the match off in my ashtray before lighting my pipe to avoid the possibility of unburnt sulfur fouling up the flavor.

I use the standard Zippo although I have a pipe insert. Haven't noticed any taste unless I just filled the lighter and that clears quickly.
Then again, while I prefer wooden matches, I have no problem using paper matches. Just let the sulfur burn off first (applies to all matches).

I got my first (and only) Zippo when I went to the U of Vietnam back in '69 and still have it and use it when I'm out and about ( wooden matches when inside at home) and got a pipe insert for it around '75 . One thing to remember about them is that they were designed for the 3 to 4 second time it takes to light a cigarette, NOT the longer flame as needed for a pipe so yes they will use more fuel FASTER than some others! They are everything you read, reliable, durable, will burn just about ANY type of fuel, except gas of course, and the warrenty can't be beat! :twisted: And I've NEVER encountered ANY taste from any type of lighter I've used whether gas or liquid fuel. JMHE :twisted: :twisted:

Here's my old workhorse:

Stick, I use a zippo or Nimrod most of the time and have for longer than I care to remember. I've used just naphtha, zippo fluid, Ronson (owned by zippo for a long time now), even used charcoal lighter fluid for the bbq in a pinch. Never noticed any residual flavor. Only occasionally do I taste anything as I light. Service is top notch from Zippo but Nimrods are easily fixed at home with zippo parts. Over the years I've picked up 6 or 7 zippo's and 2 Nimrod Commanders and 1 sportsman. As to evaporation issues....I cut an 1&1/2 inch section from a bicycle inner tube and roll that over the junction of the lighter cap when not in use. Slows down the evaporation enough to be noticeable.

huffelpuff":i899xrhv said:
Stick, I use a zippo or Nimrod most of the time and have for longer than I care to remember. I've used just naphtha, zippo fluid, Ronson (owned by zippo for a long time now), even used charcoal lighter fluid for the bbq in a pinch. Never noticed any residual flavor. Only occasionally do I taste anything as I light. Service is top notch from Zippo but Nimrods are easily fixed at home with zippo parts. Over the years I've picked up 6 or 7 zippo's and 2 Nimrod Commanders and 1 sportsman. As to evaporation issues....I cut an 1&1/2 inch section from a bicycle inner tube and roll that over the junction of the lighter cap when not in use. Slows down the evaporation enough to be noticeable.

That lighter appears to be a Nimrod commander which I have found retains fluid about 50% longer than Zippo due to the tongue and groove construction of the tank plus the fact that the top is part of the tank and not the case. MIKE I also have no taste issues with the black zippo fluid

It is indeed a Nimrod Commander. I use the innertube bit on all my lighters though that's the only one I had a pic of.

Back in the old days, I could taste the fluid as I lit the pipe and for a puff or two afterwards, but it's rare I even get a hint of the fluid with the current formula. Of course, some people might be very sensitive to the taste.... I do find the zippo with pipe insert a pleasure to use, though

Brewdude":42ls157w said:
So David mate, what do you make of all this then?

Cheers,

RR
This should answer that Rande:

After reading everyone's posts there seemed to be very little against the idea, especially as my prime concern of the fuel tainting the 'baccy seems unfounded, so I took the plunge with said item arriving yesterday.  As is often my way the first thing I did was take it apart.  Pulled all the wadding out, set the wick length, and layered the wadding with the wick zig zagging through it (the factory had it all bunched up in the top).  I then fuelled her up and she works a dream.  

I followed Jim's advice too and cut a piece of bike inner tube to slide over it for when I'm not smoking.  It seemed that the only thing against these lighters was the fact they evaporate fuel a little quicker than most would like.  We'll see how this strategy goes.

As the Wiz pointed out, Zippo also have an unbeatable guarantee and a superb pedigree.  And then there's the distinctive smell of the burnt fuel.

What's not to like?

Thanks for all your posts chaps; most helpful.

Michael - that is one special Zippo you have there my friend, with lots of memories attached to it I've no doubt.  Thanks for sharing.  If mine gives that much service, I'll be delighted.

I've carried a Zippo since I was about 15 years old, great lighters, dynamite proof but, not something I'd use to light my pipe sir. I use a Bic sadly but, I can light my pipe indoors and outdoors without the worry of scorching the rim, it running out of fluid early, loosing it, or dropping it. ;)

Stick":b2yge94k said:
Brewdude":b2yge94k said:

Cheers,

RR

After reading everyone's posts there seemed to be very little against the idea, especially as my prime concern of the fuel tainting the 'baccy seems unfounded, so I took the plunge with said item arriving yesterday.  As is often my way the first thing I did was take it apart.  Pulled all the wadding out, set the wick length, and layered the wadding with the wick zig zagging through it (the factory had it all bunched up in the top).  I then fuelled her up and she works a dream.  

I followed Jim's advice too and cut a piece of bike inner tube to slide over it for when I'm not smoking.  It seemed that the only thing against these lighters was the fact they evaporate fuel a little quicker than most would like.  We'll see how this strategy goes.

As the Wiz pointed out, Zippo also have an unbeatable guarantee and a superb pedigree.  And then there's the distinctive smell of the burnt fuel.

What's not to like?

Michael - that is one special Zippo you have there my friend, with lots of memories attached to it I've no doubt.  Thanks for sharing.  If mine gives that much service, I'll be delighted.
I can't think that you'll be less than satisfied mate. Do let us know how you get on with your new Zippo.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":7bfcl3ao said:
Stick":7bfcl3ao said:
Brewdude":7bfcl3ao said:

Cheers,

RR

What's not to like?

I can't think that you'll be less than satisfied mate. Do let us know how you get on with your new Zippo.

Cheers,

RR
As soon as this blasted weather warms up a little I'll be in the garden, zippo and briar in hand. It is the spring isn't it?

Stick":xdj0cdw9 said:
As soon as this blasted weather warms up a little I'll be in the garden, zippo and briar in hand. It is the spring isn't it?
I'd carry the Zippo in my pocket. A pipe AND a lighter in the same hand is a handful :twisted: :twisted:

Well I'm pleased to announce that the zippo performed as I expected.

I came home a little earlier on Fri as the weather looked fine, and fired up a bowl of GH's Curly Cut in my Parker Billiard. It was exactly as I'd thought it would be. Lit within 2 flicks every time and with no discernable fuel taste.

Using a zippo also creates that iconic 'ping' sound that is instantly recognisable for what it is.

Yup, happy chap.