Thoughts while piping . . .

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brunello

Reaction score
Enjoying a pipe allows me to clear the mind and relax, what some might call Zen centering. I never use a pipe to force myself to relax; if I'm upset at something I'll usually do something mindless but productive like mowing the lawn or walking the dog. I would't want to abuse a pipe and fume among the fumes, much like I've never been one to crank up the stereo super loud if I was angry. I just wouldn't abuse good music that way. But I'm glad for the "meditative" and quieting ritual of the pipe.

A couple days ago I learned of the death of somebody I hadn't seen or spoken to in over 40 years. We were not friends but "respected" each other's different talents, we sat next to each other from third grade all the way to graduation in high school, and I can't shake the vivid memories of this person whom I admired: the alpha male of the class, defender of good, star athlete, and somebody whom I always expected would be happier and more successful in life than I. He was just a month older than me. Don't have details on the cause of death, and not sure why I can't shake these sobering thoughts.

What do you guys think of while piping??

I am always surprised to learn of the success and failures of those with whom I went to school. There were many surprises. Now, in our mid to later 70s, I discover their history in the obituary. Perhaps, it's the generation, but at our 50th H.S. reunion, I was amazed at how many of my classmates had gone through at least one divorce, me included.
My first pipe in the morning is on the porcelain throne and I'm thinking about what's on tap for the day and am pleased that the blend I'm smoking is redolent with latakia.

I will usually smoke a bowl after eating a bowl of cereal and while drinking my morning coffee. Morning thoughts are usually on what is in store for me during the day. The bowls during the day are usually just for relaxation with nothing specific on my mind.

I think your first para above perfectly sums up my approach to the pipe, @Brunello . I never use it to de-stress and only smoke when I have the time to sit quietly, take my time, and reflect. I find I need to be respectful to the whole piping ritual. Typically my thoughts turn to the events of the past few days, family, and friends. I also try to avoid the negative stuff that I might be challenged by too.

Sorry to learn of the passing of your friend too.

Wife and I have gotten into a ritual of sorts. Out of bed, she throws on some comfy clothes for the day, I stay in my joe boxer jammies and t shirt, varying weight depending on season and outdoor temp. I fix our coffee in outdoor mugs while she fixes the dogs breakfast. Then it's outside to the patio, rear in winter/fall and front in summer. I load up a pipe and smoke while she reads emails and facebook on her phone. Depending on what she reads we have our morning conversation while watching the birds and bunnies flit about. Relaxing way to start the day off. I won't pipe if I am upset or stressed because I puff too fast or get careless and wind up not enjoying it. But if I have had a busy day like when I go to the ranch to take care of the horses I will come home and relax with a pipe. Difference is I am tired but not stressed, so a good way to relax and really enjoy the pipe.

Wife and I have gotten into a ritual of sorts. Out of bed, she throws on some comfy clothes for the day, I stay in my joe boxer jammies and t shirt, varying weight depending on season and outdoor temp. I fix our coffee in outdoor mugs while she fixes the dogs breakfast. Then it's outside to the patio, rear in winter/fall and front in summer. I load up a pipe and smoke while she reads emails and facebook on her phone. Depending on what she reads we have our morning conversation while watching the birds and bunnies flit about. Relaxing way to start the day off. I won't pipe if I am upset or stressed because I puff too fast or get careless and wind up not enjoying it. But if I have had a busy day like when I go to the ranch to take care of the horses I will come home and relax with a pipe. Difference is I am tired but not stressed, so a good way to relax and really enjoy the pipe.
That sounds like a great morning ritual you got going on there

I smoke out on the porch with the door open, so it's starting to get nippy. But still, I love my morning coffee and pipe. I usually read while smoking, at times (like after a long chapter) putting the book down and just ruminating on things. I just love smoking a pipe so much, I try to convey how essential it is to "centering" me and calming me overall to friends and especially my wife. SHE gets it, because she sees the evidence of its effects, but most others just don't get it, equating it with cigarette smoking. This is especially true with doctors and/or their assistants/nurses. The latter can be very condescending, as if assuming a "this old guy is a lunatic" attitude.

Sometimes, when asked why we enjoy pipes, saying that it is relaxing may perpetuate the idea that we use it as a remedy to stress. I think words like "Centering" or "Meditative" are better but they give a kind of New Age mysticism to the process which is also off the mark. Somebody who enjoys fishing doesn't do it to fight stress in the obvious sense, fish biting or not they they just like the quiet time it provides to live in the moment, with a few thoughts cast to the past or future.

My wife also has the mistaken idea that I pipe to counter stress. One day, when I was fuming about a contractor who messed up a project, my agitation affected her mood, and flustered she exclaimed "Just go out on the porch and smack the pope!" Apologies to any ardent Jacobites, but it was a funny slip of the tongue that we both remember to this day. Interesting that the word smack also conveys a sense of fighting against something.

Need more ideas fellas, how can we explain our piping in a short and easy to understand manner? :unsure:

Why?? As it says on one of my Harley tshirts, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. Lol. There are some things in life that just do not bear explanation or reasoning.