Thread Drift Warnings...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
showme1or2":3mnhx9iy said:
Now, more about the tuna, please. 8)
OK, one of my own personal favs:

Grilled Ahi tuna on baby greens with balsamic blackberry glaze

For 2 people:

For the glaze:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch mixed with 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar

Instructions
Add vinegar and berries to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until liquid has been reduced by about 1/2. Strain berries out through a fine mesh strainer and return liquid to pan. Bring liquid back to a light simmer and stir in cornstarch mixture, a little at a time, until liquid thickens. Allow to cool.

Season Ahi steaks with salt and fresh ground pepper and sear to medium/medium well on hot barbecue or indoor grill. Toss baby greens with a little extra virgin olive oil, just a little, and a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper or red pepper flakes if you dig a bit of heat with your sweet! Lay tuna steaks on top of bed of greens and drizzle the glaze over the top of the entire plate.

Mucho bueno!! :poncho:

Joel:

I sometimes forget that everyone may not be aware of the fact that I’m FOS, and I apologize if you haven’t yet been provided ample evidence of that fact (not sure exactly what the Hell that’s supposed to mean, but it started out as an apology). Anyway, if I gave the impression that I was making light of your proposal, I’d like to say that (when I stopped laughing) such was not my intent. (j/k)

Seriously, though, pay no attention to me… I’m just a little stressed-out because my wife is forcing me to be nice to people over the Holidays. Most of the time my posts are just an annoying distraction... but, occasionally... OK, infrequently... oh, alright… once, I actually posted something that wasn’t an annoying distraction, very similar to the post above. OK, I know, that was an annoying distraction, too... but it wasn’t nearly as bad as most of my posts. Anyway, since I haven't wealth, knowledge, wit or insight (or free tobacco samples) to offer the board... and I have no real-life friends to annoy... TJ told me I could just sit in the back of the classroom, shooting virtual-spitballs at the teacher when her back is turned. In a gadda da vida, baby!

Thread Drift Warning!

What's FOS? I don't know that one.

Tough here too. My 6yo is sick and can't go to school. Making for tough days!

Actually, it means "Fan Of Shapiro (Pipes)" or "Friend Of Smokers"... but Jason's definition probably works, too. Anyway, glad you're getting to spend time with your son... wish it was under different circumstances.

PS: I have to tell you, Joel, I still chuckle every time I remember this little gem you posted at Knox (one of my all-time favorite posts):

"So after weeding through what you wrote to get the one small nugget that is the goal....

You want us to rate GLP's blends high in order to raise their overall ratings on tr.com?"

To the extent (if there even is one) that anybody cares, I do not come here with the expectation of sitting up straight, facing forward, keeping both feet flat on the floor, raising my hand when I have something to say, waiting for permission before speaking, or tailoring it to Mrs. Grundy's notion of what relevance is. (This can be extended to include "nice" as well).

It is the mission of the Mrs. Grundys of the world to impose this regimen (essentially, a female one) on the world. Once established, it is only a short step from there to the Grammar Police and the rest of it.

I endured it once (under compulsion) but did not internalise it. Consequently, I have no intention of imposing it on others, or of suffering them to impose it on me.

Girls' rules do not sit well with boys. Nor does the impulse to manipulate others by invoking them. Which, IMHO, underlies most such attempts.

Yak's 2c worth (plain).

:face:

Love the "Yak-speak" dialectic, the unabashed shrugging off of politically correct and/or dogmatic idiosynchrasies and throwing the meat right out there on the table :pig: :affraid: 8)

Fuggedaboudit Gate, you ain't baitin me into the tuna taco euphemism :evil: ...Oh, shoot, ya just did, didn't you! :x

Of course, Yak got what I was aiming for completely wrong. But that's ok.

GW, thanks. Glad you liked that one. Some folks get a little verbose and it can be tough to get to the point (or even to find it :shock:)

gatewheel":0bsl03x6 said:
Got a recipe for tuna tacos, JD?
Couple of pieces of Cod (tuna smells :lol!: ), lightly battered in flour and spices, deep fried. Flour tortilla thrown on the grill for a couple of seconds to soften up. Chopped up cabbage, couple of jalapeños cut up into strips (less seeds), and tarter sauce (mayo/relish/smidgen of mustard). Everything thrown into tortilla then fresh lime juice over everything. :poncho:

I've never been fond of tuna but Mikes recipe sounds good. I sure hope you guys are eating dolphin free tuna. Looks like the Japanese whale enetrprises are once again in full swing, contrary to international treaties. I am not a whale hugger but as I understand, the Japanese have a floating factory that efficiently harvests whales. They should eat more beef.

My favorite sea food, by far, is beer battered deep fried halibut. Onion rings. Tons of salt on both. Copious amounts of ice cold Corona to wash it down with. A close second is my father-in-laws smoked kocanee salmon. That goes best with a nice dark beer some sharp cheese and a little deer theringer. Super Bowl and wardrobe malfunction food.

tj

thomas james":1ek6og7m said:
I sure hope you guys are eating dolphin

:shock: .......Well, as a matter of fact, yes!

Dorado, mahi mahi, dolphinfish (not really dolphin), whatever you want to call it, makes the best fish tacos hand down :cheers:

I said hands down! :pale:

I ate these constantly while on my fishing adventures on the sea of Cortez in a little villiage called Loretto, Baja California Sur, Either home made or at a little roadside stand called McLulu's:

Slice the dorado filets thin across the grain, dip lightly in beer batter and deep fry. Lay a strip or two of fried dorado on a pair of fresh corn tortillas that have been heated on a hot cast iron skillet using no oil. This is how the natives heat tortillas for tacos, never frying the torts - that's a gringo faux pas. The taco is topped with a mixture of either shredded lettuce or cabbage that's mixed with chopped fresh cilantro, a good squeeze of fresh lime juice and a drizzle of chile' - or as we in the States call it, salsa. [not the store bought salsa, the real deal is made by throwing grilled and raw jalapenos and dried red chiles in a blender with fresh garlic, oregano, salt, oil, water and vinegar, then pureed]

Betcha can't eat just one!! :D :poncho:

thomas james":o47j3l93 said:
Puff Daddy":o47j3l93 said:
I ate constantly while on my fishing adventures.
:pig:

tj

:lol!: They told me that I was supposed to stop eating like that once I got home from vacation, unfortunately they told me six years after I got back :suspect:

One thing I like about my Republican brother-in-law (as we are on tuna and the like, besides it's good to drift from time to time if you get my drift) is that he is sending my wife and me a Christmas present tomorrow. Live lobsters.

:p :p :p :p :p Paul

But he can't buy my vote.