Thread Drift Warnings...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's your warning:

Attention, all threads wander aimlessly, thus enhancing the value of the room as a whole. Please report all on topic threads to a moderator! :!:

jhuggett":p7gq5igm said:
Like an emoticon that denotes threads are going off task?
Yeah, something like that.

It's not that I mind thread drift, but if/when a good discussion gets going and someone goes off on some crazy tangent, it would be handy due to the distraction factor.

Sorry Joel, can't help myself :twisted: Just can't pass up the opportunity to be a wise ass :lol!:

You mean... thread content is supposed to be generally related to the thread title?

Hmmm... interesting concept. The thread creator would be something akin to a God... whose role it would be to determine those contributions worthy of salvation... or eternal damnation... sort of like TJ and Puff Daddy do now.

On the other hand, there are bound to be those posters who will subscribe to the Theory of Evolution, where threads are allowed to develop via random mutation... where mysterious forces guide the process along to an unimaginable final product... a product so terrible, so mind-numbingly horrible in its nonconformity... (never mind, you get the picture).

Personally, I think we should appoint a committee to study the value of implementing such a policy, along with its long-term potential for damage to the ozone layer. Or else, maybe, we could just pray together for guidance... the Creationists, that is, because the Evolutionists are all going to Hell... along with lawyers, murderers, pedophiles, and the guys who make those really bad "reality shows."

Either way, I'm with you guys... that is, as long as you don't decide to do something that would just piss me off! On second thought, I don't really care... do whatever you want... plant your first "thread drift" waning flag right here, baby... 'cause I'm an avalanche that can't be stopped... I'm in high gear, rollin' down a steep grade... I'm a high-flyin', rip-roarin'...... Uh, never mind, pardon the interruption.

Anyone tell me how to properly serve seared tuna? I am leaning toward a green garnish/side, but my cookbook suggests rice...

gatewheel":2zd4rt9l said:
to determine those contributions worthy of salvation... or eternal damnation... sort of like TJ and Puff Daddy do now.
And to show you just how determined we are to keep the threads from wandering, well, just look at our record. Over 1200 posts and I've done exactly NOTHING!! And lets keep it that way. 8) The only way moderating on this site could be better would be if we got paid for doing the whole lotta nothing we do :clown:

Tuna on a bed of greens, by all means. :tongue:

Thanks Puff...I thought so.

(sorry guys, some newbie humor..you make me feel right at home here)

Geeze folks. I'm not talking about moderating at all.

You know those little icons? These: :cat: :mad:: :| :evil: :( :) Something like that.

Ok, I give up.

Sorry JoelS,fun is always at someone's expense....and this board looks like a lot of fun,so far.Wandering is the norm,as all things tend to gravitate toward chaos;I feel secure knowing we are at least in line with the laws of physics(if not social decorum).....don't give up!
Tony

Hey Joel, the only reason I mention the moderating thing is because it would seem that someone would have to follow every post in every thread, constantly monitoring whether or not a thread was staying on topic or wandering. I'm not at all trying to poo poo your idea, just don't know how feasible it would be. :scratch:

Puff, as we are a group of gentlemen, I'm sure we could moderate our own threads. I can envision folks proudly marking THEIR OWN off topic posts, hehehe.

Now, more about the tuna, please. 8)

showme1or2":oxjof5mu said:
Puff, as we are a group of gentlemen, I'm sure we could moderate our own threads. I can envision folks proudly marking THEIR OWN off topic posts, hehehe.

Now, more about the tuna, please. 8)
Exactly!

I am a member of another forum (non pipe related). And folks there have gotten into the habit of adding "THREAD DRIFT WARNING" to the start of replies that drift off the main topic. It makes it much easier to follow if your interest is in the original topic and not the sideline. It works quite well.

Since the "thread creep" smiley was brought up, there actually is one. It's a little smiley guy holding up a sign that says "HIJACKING!!!". Soooo.. when you see a thread going waaaay off the reservation, you post that smiley and everyone gets the idea. Works pretty well on other forums I visit, might work here if it's that big of a problem. Just my $.02. I have no issues one way or the other. Thread creep can be quite entertaining.

Hey, works for me. If J Huggie wants to implement that I'd be most happy to apply it to most (hell, all) of my posts. I can play well with others :D

DISCLAIMER!: I'm not tryin to come off as a moderator in my daily posts, I'd like to just blend into the woodwork as far as that goes. I'm just bein me and stating my opnions. I don't view the mod thing as any kind of priveledge or think that my vote carries any greater weight than anyone elses. This isn't my house, it's a public park. As I stated from the very beginning, I was offered the moderator position from the first day cuz there wasn't anyone else around :lol: I gladly accepted only to aid Huggie the admin if and when we start getting spam attacks, trolls or the very rare over the top flame. I ain't gonna be editing or worrying about anyone else's posts save for the exceptions I already mentioned.

If someone has a good icon to use I'll put it in no problem. I looked around for a bit but haven't found anything.