Time and perspective

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":fpcrv3io said:
Tate":fpcrv3io said:
Puff Daddy":fpcrv3io said:
...and tell me that doesn't sound like an ostrich with its head in the sand.   :alien: 
:fpalm:  ...... [sigh]  Point completely missed.
I got your point. Trying to say a door is a filter and you're just "filtering" the bad out. My counter-point is that a door is not a good comparison to a filter. Unless maybe its a screen door.

Tate":ocuiivhb said:
Puff Daddy":ocuiivhb said:
Tate":ocuiivhb said:
Puff Daddy":ocuiivhb said:
...and tell me that doesn't sound like an ostrich with its head in the sand.   :alien: 
:fpalm:  ...... [sigh]  Point completely missed.
I got your point.  Trying to say a door is a filter and you're just "filtering" the bad out.  My counter-point is that a door is not a good comparison to a filter.  Unless maybe its a screen door.  
I don't mean to be demeaning...but that is the difference between ? and 49 YOA.

On second thought...forget I said anything.

Just the way it initially came across with the "my door is shut to the outside world", is a little, shall we say, standoffish and like I said, reminded me of an ostrich with its head in the sand. Its fine if I took it the wrong way, I can be wrong, but you might want to be aware some people took it the wrong way. Age aside. 32 years old here btw.

monbla256":670qx9mu said:
Life's a beach and where's the water ? :twisted: 
Over here my friend:

Lake-Pontchartrain-LA-2.jpg

Tate":iyehanyk said:
Just the way it initially came across with the "my door is shut to the outside world", is a little, shall we say, standoffish and like I said, reminded me of an ostrich with its head in the sand.  Its fine if I took it the wrong way, I can be wrong, but you might want to be aware some people took it the wrong way.  Age aside.   32 years old here btw.
I guess, and I may not speak for others, that it depends on your outlook on life and your experience with it as well.  I'm 70 in  two months, have had more careers than any three people I know, and can say from life experience...that one needs to be discerning in our approach as to who and what we let into our lives.  Not a matter of sticking my head in the sand...more a matter of "I've had enough of this shit, time to filter out those who are worth my time and those who need to keep the hell away from me with their crap".  That is my attitude and I'm sure that of others as well.

So to Tate...I apologize if I offended you, was not meant to be offensive....just an observation on my part.  By the way, I've got socks older than 32.  LOL

pepesdad1":wa9puzbe said:
So to Tate...I apologize if I offended you, was not meant to be offensive....just an observation on my part.  By the way, I've got socks older than 32.  LOL
No worries. I'm hard to offend.

Tate":u5ebxb8o said:
Puff Daddy":u5ebxb8o said:
Tate":u5ebxb8o said:
You guys are silly.  Your door is wide open.
I think you misunderstand the notion. What is meant by closing the door to the outside is recognizing the useless bullshit that permeates society and choosing to ignore it as best as is possible. It doesn't mean ignore everything, it's about filtering. Look at facebook and television and talk radio and you'll see what people concern themselves with. Ignore that crap, shut the door on it, take in only what is worthwhile and screw the rest, who cares. Add politics, social engineering, consumerism and the nightly news to that as well.

The old guy strolling down the street in a raging storm, smiling to himself. Someone asks him "Don't you see what's going on around here?"

"Nope!" Old man keeps on strolling, keeps on smiling. :)
Guess you only have screen doors on your house.  Go back and reread what you guys said about doors being shut and tell me that doesn't sound like an ostrich with its head in the sand.   :alien: 
Ostrich with it's head in the sand, and what would you like me to do? NO one wants to do what needs to be done to change this country back to something we all can be proud of once more. Oh! they talk about it but, there it lies. So should I commence alone and be defeated and suffer the penalties for what some of us believe needs to be done but, won't come together and do?
You call me what you will but, until you and the rest are ready to stand up and march forward to stop the government and those connected to it, I'll have my doors closed waiting for the end.

Tate":e9hsffed said:
Cartaphilus":e9hsffed said:
I close my doors from the outside world and try to enjoy what time we have left and wait for the end.
Puff Daddy":e9hsffed said:
This. As best I can, anyhow.
You guys are silly.  Your door is wide open.  You're on the Internet.  The modern marvel and gateway to countless other minds just waiting to communicate with you.  It may just be a computer screen, but its actually communication.  Shut, lock, and block the door to your house, but you're less closed off now than a socialite in a medium sized town in the 60s.  

Ain't technology grand?  
Agreed! And it's even got an OFF button! :twisted: 

Hell, even nostalgia aint what it used to these days! :suspect: 

I was raised in McKeesport, PA, an easy trolley ride from The 'Burgh. Dad's side of the family worked in the steel mills. Mom's side had heir own painting, interior design business. Everyonr worked, everyone did well. Both granparents had 3-story, single family homes with enclosed porches and gliders you don't see anywhere today. Everyone sat on the porch,talked Pirates with their neighbors passing by on the sidewalk and drank cold Iron Cities. Working people lived well, with (usually) a little held in reserve for emergencies. Then the steel mills stopped paying attention and their prices were undercut. Then there were layoffs. Then the mills began to close. Not much was left in 1976 when downtown McKeesport caught fire and what was left went up in smoke. The town fathers asked the state for help and were promised five million. But then, on second thought, the state decided that the fire was actually a great benefit, properly understood. It had cleared old buildings that weren't that far from the wrecking ball and, after cleanup, left prime real estate ready for development, at the town's expense, of course. Actually, they were probably right, since shopping malls on the perimeters were replacing "downtowns," a word which many young people find kinda strange. Well, the Steelers began their collection of Lombardi Trophies, which was a nice change, and gave Pittsburgh's diaspora something to hand down in their families. Even relatives don't encourage me to visit McKeesport, because it will most likely make me feel bad compared to the thriving human-scale town with drugstores with real soda fountains I remember. Even the church where I used to be an altar boy is gone. It's all entropy and it going to continue that way, far as I can tell. I still enjoy an occasional Iron City, though, and a wee glass of Powers. Don't need anything fancy. And my daughter, a Connecticut girl, wears gold and black with 43 on game day, even when the opponent is the Pats.

What a bunch of old Geezers!  :p   :lol: 

Me - I remember when MTV actually played music videos,  everyone, including myself, had a Rubicks Cube, we all had Atari 2600 game consoles, and the Commodore 64 was THE computer of choice!  

:lol!:

Rob_In_MO":4m2dnmit said:

Me -  I remember when MTV actually played music videos,  everyone, including myself, had a Rubicks Cube, we all had Atari 2600 game consoles, and the Commodore 64 was THE computer of choice!  

And you still play with toys like little boy. Little airplanes that actually fly. Some kids never grow up. Can I come over to your house and play with you the next time you are going to play with your planes? I'll have to ask my mommie if I can play with you. Somebody told her you weren't always a good little boy. She said you smoked a pipe and liked to play with dollies. Live ones.:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 

AJ

Rob_In_MO":e8ztolyo said:

Me -  I remember when MTV actually played music videos,  everyone, including myself, had a Rubicks Cube, we all had Atari 2600 game consoles, and the Commodore 64 was THE computer of choice!  

Well you little whining Whelp!:)  I can remember having to listen to an AM radio if I wanted any music and the raciest thing on TV was Rick and Lucy sleeping in separate beds. Toys of choice were cap guns and trains and you got one of them if you where lucky, I wasn't. Made most my toys from mom's old thread spools and things lying around. Grandma made sure I got a model and a comic book ever so often. Didn't need no dadburn computers, didn't need cell phones and didn't need game-boys or any other of that fancy shmancy crapola. We had imaginations.

Cartaphilus":oyzx8l3s said:
Toys of choice were cap guns and trains and you got one of them if you where lucky, I wasn't. Made most my toys from mom's old thread spools and things lying around. Grandma made sure I got a model and a comic book ever so often. Didn't need no dadburn computers, didn't need cell phones and didn't need game-boys or any other of that fancy shmancy crapola. We had imaginations.
Hey - I spent many an hour with a very large set of Lincoln Logs. Couldn't get any simpler, but was a lot of fun. :D 

Heh - I knew that 'old geezer' comment would get a few of you fired up. :lol!: 

Heh - I knew that 'old geezer' comment would get a few of you fired up.  :lol!: [/quote]
Little Peckerwood! :lol!:

Whole bunch of interesting responses.  They weren't the exact ones I expected -- nothing new there. The debate over then and now will never end.  It was going on when I was a kid.  Its great circus.

The title was the main point and that is perspective.  Its about the why of who we are.  I'll share a silly bit of what that means.

I own a duplex that I live in. It's by a lake -- drop in. (Damn I a funny if not original.) 

The common area is on my meter. Tenants will typically leave the lighting on 24-7.  It irrationally galls the dickens out of me.  Why?  The bulbs are fancy LED that consume little. (Another silly thing on my part.)  The impact on the bill for the month can't be a buck.  But, my parents lived through the depression -- mother less well than dad.  

"Turn off the lights!  Were you born in a barn?"

I've figured it out but it still sticks; just like going to a parochial school and so many other things that we take for granted. Others come from a different perspective and their knee jerks are quite different.

There is no time that was all good/bad/best.  I will comment on now.  There is too much effort and cost being directed at making it perfect and that's a waste of money and effort from my perspective.

Nostalgia is great; especially for those where we taint it with much love.  But the thing to keep recognizing is that it had a huge impact on who we are.

I grew up poor in an urban suburb of Boston. I was beat up alot because my absent mother didn't bathe me and I stank. Classism taught me that I would also be a poor laborer as my parents before me. I spent several years bouncing between juvenile detention and group homes before reaching the age of eighteen and escaping that hell by joining the Army.

I have since traveled the world, as a military contractor and tourist. I have earned two degrees. I own my home, a Volvo (used, but still a Volvo) and a nice motorcycle. My daughter will be going to college next year. I will reward her with a motorcycle of her own.

I am able to enjoy the company of people of many different cultures in person and on this wonderful internet. My life is rich and full for the people I have met. My door is open. To everybody.

There is no fanciful past I reminisce for. My past sucked and can go to hell for all I care.

I am often not happy with the actions of the rich and powerful, and politicians are all evil. If you think one party is less crooked than the other you are not truly paying attention. The TV is full of reality shows that dumn down the viewers, but those shows aren't much better than the news channels. Fortunately, the world is full of wonderful people for me to go meet. The TV can stay off, I will be out on my motorcycle. Anyone want to meet me for sushi?

I live in a wonderful world I plan to enjoy to the fullest.

Cheers!