Tin v. Bulk

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipey McPiperson

Reaction score
I used the handy search feature and did not happen to stumble across an answer, so here it goes. If you really enjoy a certain type and would like to cellar some would it be better to buy multiple tins and store those, or to buy the large vacuum sealed amounts in the pound size and just jar them? I understand that its probably much more financially viable to go with bulk, but I must admit a large stack of similar tins is quite pleasant on the eyes. I assume the tobacco will be of the same quality in either so is it just preference?

-Drew

I've done both. I think you're right that its a matter of preference. I don't think there's a clear-cut answer.

Another argument for bulk is that the vacuum seal on tins is not necessarily as reliable as that on jars.

Another argument against bulk is that if you get mold in a jar, you may lose a half a pound, rather than just lose 2oz. in a tin.

And so on...

Depends on the price for me - usually three 2oz tins = one 8oz tin

considering the time and expense of jarring I will usually just get the 2oz tins - as you said - they look great on the shelf :)

some, like C&D are a better deal - close to two 2oz tins = one 8oz tin - in those cases I get one 2oz to see if I like it, then go for the 8oz (not true for all of their blends - I think Misssissippi Mud has less of a price break)

Once I have a good supply of 2oz tins I will start getting 8oz tins (which I plan to open in 10 or more years) or pounds of bulk for more stock (which I plan to smoke before digging into the tins)

When breaking up bulk I use jars ranging from 2 to 4oz most of the time - 8oz for things I smoke a ton of or already have many smaller jars of

if on a real budget you are best off buying in bulk and keeping in large jars - but for the freshest best aged tobacco (and to protect from losing a large jar to mold) you are best off with small jars or tins

Of course some favorites are bulk only - hoard mason jars now :)

It seems that many, perhaps most, prefer bulks stored in mason jars. It's certainly the most economical option. I only cellar cans because I like the flavor of tinned tobacco better, because glass jars are very heavy, and because tins have a better trade value. But I admit that there are also advantages in cellaring bulks in mason jars. The most obvious is that some bulks are not sold tinned.

Check out the 8oz and 1 lb tins. That's probaby the best compromise. But, as others have said already, it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Even' All, Tins are usually cost probative for me, except where only tins are avail', for the last ten years or so, my cellar has been made up of bulks, and I would second the advice of using smaller jars, I have myneighborhood saving glass jars for me! :tongue: :D Ken
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

In some cases, bulk gives a little more bang for the buck, but there is always the risk of mold when jarring your baccy. If you go with bulk, try using 4 oz jars instead of the bigger jars. I usually split a bulk pound into these small jars because it gives me more control during aging and I like to watch the baccy change over time (especially my Flakes).
But as others have said, it comes down to personal preference. :rabbit: :rabbit:

I prefer the 2oz, or 50g tin over everything, but then my cellar is quite modest compared to so many that I've seen here. (You guys are awesome!)

I do have some bulk tobacco in small jars, but I like tins the most. ;)

For economy buy bulk and "jug" them. Mold should not be a problem if you are using sterile jars with fresh lids. Given the availability of canning jars, do not try re-using things like mayonnaise jars. The lids on commercial food jars were never intended sterilization and re-use. They tend to use things like waxed cardboard for the lid liner, were intended to be refrigerated after opening, and for short term storage. If you are using Canning jars make sure you clean them well, and then make sure nothing like the dishwashing detergent is left in them even in trace amounts, tobacco absorbs scents like crazy, and most do not like soapy tobacco. Also splurge and get new lids or for the "bailer" type jars (my favourites) get new sealing rings.

I have never had a jarred tobacco go moldy on me (so far, knock on wood). The closer the jar is to the amount of tobacco the less exposure to air you have, the less you will lose of any flavour. New canning jars are cheap enough, but you can get them even cheaper, they can be found at nearly estate or downsizing moving sale in the rural or small towns. Think about, every little old lady who is moving from her empty nest to an apartment or a seniors residence has boxes of these jars, i seldom pay more than about a quarter for a jar, buying them a box at a time (generally 12 to a box).

Al (in Canada)

At least a third of my stash is jarred bulk,
but I'd rather have tins for many reasons.
Tins are certainly easier to trade or sell if your tastes change
and it's a lot easier to just put the tins away.
I have to weigh the savings on a particular blend.
On some blends, you don't save a whole lot, especially adding
the cost of jars, others it makes sense to buy pounds.

I can stuff a pound of tobacco into about 2 quart jars, so this is most economical for me even with the price of the jars thrown in there. Y'all make me wonder if you're using gold-plated jars.

I gotta ask about the mold. I've only had mold once, and it occured in a sealed 8 oz tin of three friars. Is there anything that I should be on the look out to cause mold? Or what ahve I dont right?

Texas Outlaw":m0lwwszz said:
I gotta ask about the mold. I've only had mold once, and it occured in a sealed 8 oz tin of three friars. Is there anything that I should be on the look out to cause mold? Or what ahve I dont right?
TO,
If you had mold in a sealed tin, I would think it was contaminated from the packing facility, not from anything you did wrong.

Texas Outlaw":hslegvgh said:
I can stuff a pound of tobacco into about 2 quart jars, so this is most economical for me even with the price of the jars thrown in there. Y'all make me wonder if you're using gold-plated jars.

Mold spores are ever so tiny and they are everywhere. You can't see them individually, and there are spores that will grow on about any conceivable organic substance, obviously including tobacco. When canning food the typical tools are cleanliness and heat, and a good seal. for us with tobacco we can do the cleanliness thing easily enough, just don't grab a jar that has been sitting open where it can have spores in it and make sure you are getting a good seal (fresh lids or fresh seals, as appropriate). The heat is a little more problematic sense too much heat will change the nature and taste of the tobacco. One of the things that canners due is use the heat bath to heat the contents on a loosely sealed jar to make the trapped air expand, then tighten the seal, which creates a partial vacuum when it cools down, and makes for a better seal. When it cools down they are listening for the typical "ping" on the modern metal lid jars, telling them that the seal is good.

In carpentry they use a sealable bag and a little negative pump, commonly used to remove the air from wine bottles that have to be recorked, to get a good pressure on making laminates, I have wondered if there is a way we could adapt this to our needs.

the other thing molds typically need is moisture, so you are more likely to have mold problems in locations with higher humidity, or during seasons when the humidity is high. A year round problem in the S.E. US, less of a problem in Arizona at any time of the year. If nothing else don't do your "jarring" on a rainy day.
icon_biggrin.png

Great discussion, guys! Which has caused a question to pop into my head!!! I've purchased several bulks in the large, sealed bags (foil usually). Were I to leave them in these sealed bags, do they age....or just sit there? Thanx in advance....FTRPLT

Sealed bags from companies like Esoterica are designed for "in the bag" aging. You may still wish to break them up into jars so that you can enjoy your first jar of it while the rest is left to age - otherwise when you bust open the bag the aging stops for the entire batch.

Thanks!! I do usually put my bulks right into a jar; don't know why I never thought about what happens if it's just left in the sealed bag. FTRPLT

I guess it would be polite to answer the original question!!!! Obviously, I do both tins and bulk. I have approx. 100 tins (all sizes) and 15# of bulk. That's a goodly amount for me, considering my smoking "rate!"

It is my opinion that tins are a waste of money considering tobacco prices today. I buy ,and jar, bulk tobacco's only rather than pay for fancy art work on a tin. Now I know we all won't do that so YMMV,

In most cases, bulk is a worthwhile savings, other times not so much.
HOTW is 60.00 for 17.5 oz. at pipesandcigars (assuming free shipping).
At JR, you can get five 100g tins for 67.50, shipped.
Add the cost of the jars and the extra work and the savings ain't much.
Union Square doesn't come in pound cans, only half.
Half pound tins are 4.07/oz - small tins are 4.69/oz.
Not much savings after jars.

On the other hand, I just bought four more pounds of Hamborger Veermaster.
I saved more than half over tins.