Tinderbox Pipe Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giospro

Reaction score
I have a tinderbox by my house and thinking to try some of there's, is there any good pipe tobacco brand that is worth trying??

Haven't been in a Tinder Box in a zillion years. IIRC their tobaccos are either Lane, Altadis, and/or Consolidated bulks with store names. That said, I used to smoke a bunch of their English tobaks...Philosopher coming to mind!! FTRPLT

I recall the same mainly Lane's blend renamed, my introduction to English blends being 'Typically English' and '10 Downing Street' both by Lane's

kilted1":cmoevd5m said:
I recall the same mainly Lane's blend renamed, my introduction to English blends being 'Typically English' and '10 Downing Street' both by Lane's
I always thought 10 Downing was a very good smoke but it's not available anymore, I don't believe. I have looked around for it but haven't seen any in a long time.

I didn't like any of the Tinderbox blends I tried. I sent one to a member see if he liked it.

Justpipes":aks1412d said:
kilted1":aks1412d said:
I always thought 10 Downing was a very good smoke but it's not available anymore, I don't believe. I have looked around for it but haven't seen any in a long time.
I'm not sure either was necessarily an actual Lane's product name, like 'Crown Achievement' I could be wrong, but I assumed that they were the Tinderbox names for Lane's bulk blends, I defer to my more knowledgeable brothers here. I rather quickly moved on to then Excellent Dunhill tinned baccies! (late 1070's and early 1980's)

BEWARE! A local Tinderbox nearly ruined my attempts at enjoying pipe smoking years ago! When I was much younger, before there was an internet, I trusted the people there and they convinced me that some heavily cognac cased garbage of tobacco was as good as it could get. I struggled with smoking that severe tongue biting crap for years thinking that if this was the good stuff I'd hate try anything else. Needless to say it made a lasting impression on me. In summary, take what they tell you with a grain of salt because they may/may not what the hell they're talking about but will act as though they do either way.

Bent Stem":7irtfls9 said:
BEWARE! A local Tinderbox nearly ruined my attempts at enjoying pipe smoking years ago! When I was much younger, before there was an internet, I trusted the people there and they convinced me that some heavily cognac cased garbage of tobacco was as good as it could get. I struggled with smoking that severe tongue biting crap for years thinking that if this was the good stuff I'd hate try anything else. Needless to say it made a lasting impression on me. In summary, take what they tell you with a grain of salt because they may/may not what the hell they're talking about but will act as though they do either way.
My local Tinderbox which hasn't been open that long has a couple of kids working for them, both kids. And they don't pretend to know anything. In fact, they sucked me for information. One cool thing, they said they were each given a Tinderbox house pipe to smoke and wanted me to help them pick out some more pipes for themselves.

Of course, they only had Petersons, Ascortis, and their house pipes, which I would assume they are basket pipes.

Still a pleasant experience; wish they carried more than their own house blends.

Back in the 80's they had one around me.
I used to have them make me a 4oz. pouch
3/4 oz. Captain Spice and 3&1/4 oz. of norse gold

I liked it and everyone in the room did too. If there was one within 100 miles of Chicago I
would make the drive to buy another batch of that.

I think our tinderbox just closed down :(

I really enjoyed their blend called Black Russian. One of the best, and sweetest aromatics one can buy...back when that's all I smoked was the sweet stuff, I smoked it more than CAO/Dan Blue Note!

I go there on a daily basis and they have the widest selection of tobacco in tin and bulk. The carry all the major brands in bulk, e.g., McClellands, Mac Barens, Lane, SG, Dunhill, etc., the tins as well are a very good selection.

Chaz":tqmssh78 said:
Back in the 80's they had one around me.
I used to have them make me a 4oz. pouch
3/4 oz. Captain Spice and 3&1/4 oz. of norse gold

I liked it and everyone in the room did too. If there was one within 100 miles of Chicago I
would make the drive to buy another batch of that.
http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-store-locator/illinois/2.html

I go to the one in Rockford all the time

Jeffrey

grumpy1":ahs156gx said:
Ah yes, Bent Stem you have confirmed my impressions.
How can you judge all Tinder Box Shops by one statement. The best thing to do is go to one and find ouit for yourself, if you cannot find one go to tinderboxaz.com and they will be more than happy to assist you.

big fan of tinderbox's reserve 1928. almost an aromatic, but not quiet (or at least very subtle). a nice nutty sweet smoke. read about it on tabaccoreviews.com where it has been well rated.