Tins and Storage

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HistoryMajor

Reaction score
So, after much deliberation, I went out and bought some tins of tobacco. With tin prices ranging from 25-40 dollars, I usually buy bulk, blended by the owner of the tobacco store I shop at, so I hadn't tried any of the tins often being discussed around the internet.

Also, having never purchased pipe tobacco on the internet, I went with 4noggins, since they have a great reputation of shipping to Canadians and such.

Yesterday, I picked up my package from the post office, and inside:

C & D Manhattan Afternoon
GLP Westminster
SG Skiff Mixture
SG 1792 Flake
Tub of Sugar Barrel
MacBaren tobacco pouch
Sample of 'Jessie's Blend'

So, a couple questions about said items, if you guys could help me out.

1. Once you pop a tin it must go in a mason jar, or something similar correct?
2. Will the Sugar Barrel stay fresh in its tub, or do I need a massive jar?
3. Which should I try first? :bounce:

Thanks

Tyler

1. A Mason jar or a bail-top jar will do the trick once you've popped the tin.
2. If SB comes in a tub like the other Middleton blends, it'll keep it reasonably fresh between the tight seal and the PG.
3. If that sample of the house blend is in a bag, smoke that first... or at least jar it to keep it good for when you're in the mood.

Congrats on your purchases!

Some of your choices I'm familiar with others I've not heard of.

You don't need to jar tinned tobacco, unless you are the type of smoker who does not consume tobacco very quickly, or has purchased a large tin (8 ounces or larger)

Most 'tubbed' tobaccos stay fairly fresh in the tub they are sold in, provided you consume the contents in a reasonable amount of time. What defines 'reasonable' is influenced by many factors, including average heat and humidity in your area. At the very least tobacco seems to survive best in a controlled environment where heat, humidity and light are constant and similar to what you find comfortable. Generally, a closet shelf is usually ideal.

What to try first? OMG, put them all in a brown paper bag stick your hand in and grab one! :lol:

Looks like the adventure is just beginning for you, have FUN!

Kilted1 said it - an environment that is constant in terms of heat and humidity is what you want. If you live in an apartment you may have a tough time achieving this year round. You can regulate heat somewhat by storing all your tobacco in a decent cooler such as a Coleman. The top of the cooler should seal well to help with the humidity. Other than that, it should be big enough to accommodate your future purchases. I learned of this in Rick Newcombe's book....

When I open a tin, as long as moisture isn't high, it goes immediately into an 8 oz jelly jar. If high, I dry to the desired medium between too dry and too wet, and then jar.

Jelly jars do wonders in keeping a tobacco at the desired moisture level. When I open such a jar 6 - n months down the road, it's exactly the same as when I jarred it.

Mind you I only open those jars if I intend to smoke the tobacco. Even if it takes me a month or two to finish that jar, the tobacco is preserved. Proper attention needs to be observed of the condition of the ring. If the rubber on the inside of the lid is scored and cannot be induced to spring back by a very hot water bath, discard the lid and use a fresh one.

A related thought is that if you use jars and are cleaning them and some still smell of the old tobacco, the scent may be in the rubber under the lids; I toss them.

Someone I trust said that if you can smell the tobacco through its container, you're losing flavor.

Different types of tin preserve the contents differently. The twist-top round ones, european-stype, are the best. They preserve the tobacco well for 3 to 4 weeks. The square ones are not very good and only work for a week or two. The plastic top ones a la McClelland and C&D work well for a couple of weeks. For the latter type, Greg Pease recommends the use of tin foil under the lid. I use a thick rubber band in all tins to help improve the seal, something I learned some time ago in ASP. It really helps.

I always consume a 50 g tin in 2 weeks or less, in which time I never had a problem with tobacco flavor being lost or noticeably altered. In my case, most of the drying actually takes place when opening the tin for a fill-up.

No likey tin foil :evil: Apologies sent to GLP ;) I use clear plastic wrap, folded/doubled over, to seal aging jars/lids and tins (usually 2-4 oz.) that I will be smoking over shorter periods of time. This works very well with rectangular/metal-topped tins as well as plastic-topped ones. :pipe: FTRPLT

With both plastic lidded tins (C&D, etc.) and the Euro-style coin twists I simply put the tobacco in a heavy ziplock bag, or a good sandwich baggie with a twist tie, squeeze out the excess air and put the whole package back in the tin itself. Easy open - easy close. Works well for most blends for months at a time, although sometimes I do need to pop a pouch button (you know the ones, aluminum disks with pin holes and white clay inside) in with some mixtures.

Honestly, as long as you are going to consume the tin within a reasonable amount of tin, any and all of the advice above should provide you more than enough insurance. Enjoy!