Tinsky Pipe Questions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings fellow pipesters. I am in the process of purchasing a Tinsky pipe... I have never seen one in person. I am trying to decide on the right shape/finish.

1) The 2008 BoB pipe he made, which is shape #13 - I believe- looks like a favorable shape for me. Question: Is this a "light" pipe? Is it a good clincher? What size is the bowl? Does this shape favor flakes? Or, even better, what type of baccy do YOU like to smoke out of it? Anybody have the black and tan finish? Do you like it?

2) Does anyone have a Tinsky in a "tan blast" finish? If you do, does it darken over time? If it does, does it darken from smoking, or does it slowly gain a patina from handling? Do you like this finish?

3) Anybody have a Tinsky poker? Does it smoke well? His pokers appear very unique... Are they clinchable? It is hard to judge size by looking at computer screen shots...

4) I am slowly beginning to favor straights... anybody have a straight Tinsky? If so, please report your thoughts!

I am super psyched to get one of Mark's pipes. I am even considering spending more than I probably should -- his two star blasts look absolutely incredible. I know that this is a hefty list of questions, but it's hard to make a choice without seeing/handling a pipe for yourself. I would appreciate any feedback, or even some general opinions on his pipes/shapes/finishes.

Most humble regards,

Trout Bum

I do not have any of his pipes, but I would agree that his pipes looks incredible! I hope to add a few of his pipes to my collection someday.

I've got a couple of Tinsky pipes, a #6 Rhodesian and a #4 Author, I would like to get the BoB #13 you mentioned as It looks to be between the ones I have size wise. I also see clenchability as an issue, the Rhod. is somewhat clenchable while the Author is very clenchable.
You can compare weights at the Gray Fox web site:
http://grayfoxonline.com/asp.html
They don't carry everything Tinsky makes but they have the weights listed for what they have.
You can also email Mark for any info too.
As far as your other questions I can't help, mine are both coral carve finish.
These pipes smoke better than any others I own, I count them amonst my most prized possesions.
:pipe: on brothers.

I have two of the coral chrismas pipes
Both are clenchable and lightweight smoke cool and are a good smoking pipe
Im sure all his pipes are good ones

My newly acquired Tinsky OGB (Old Greek Briar) 2008 Christmas pipe is shown in my avitar..temporarily. It has turned out to be one of the fastest break-in pipes I've had. It's lightweight for its size and clenches nicely. I found Mark quite easy to deal with, eager to please and prompt with his email replies.

Jim

I currently only have 2 of Mark's pipes, though I've owned several. I had a pair of his pokers and they were great pipes. They were Christmas pipes from '95. I currently have a large poker that Mark and I collaborated on. Mark named it the "Drunken Poker." I also have one of his hawkbills--another great one. I think Mark offers great quality at an affordable price. That is a combination that's hard to beat. Oh, my Drunken Poker is NOT a clencher, but the other two were.

thedeep":j1vs9vy6 said:
I currently only have 2 of Mark's pipes, though I've owned several. I had a pair of his pokers and they were great pipes. They were Christmas pipes from '95. I currently have a large poker that Mark and I collaborated on. Mark named it the "Drunken Poker." I also have one of his hawkbills--another great one. I think Mark offers great quality at an affordable price. That is a combination that's hard to beat. Oh, my Drunken Poker is NOT a clencher, but the other two were.
post some pics!

Christmas 08 pipe is a great clincher, although I don,t due to non-existant dental plan. Very light and excellent draw, I have one of the OGB's. Smoke only McB Navy Flake in this part. pipe, and it burns great. You can actually see my particular pipe by entering his store and clicking on Current Christmas Pipes, click on view box on the Natural Black and Tan Coral Carve. I posted a couple of photos on Pad and Tad under whoo whoo, Tinkey X mas pipe here. Poor photo's but I do think they may show color better. Demensions available by scrolling down his home page to How Christmas Pipes are Made and clicking. I own three Tinskey's and all are great smokers, as mentioned above, Mark is a great guy, easy to work with, and quick to answer emails.

Even' All, I have 5-6 of Mark's pipes, All Va. pipes :D , and would NEVER hesitate in buying more, also the man is a gentleman, but not the fisherman I used to be, Ken :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Northeast Kingdom! :tongue:

Well, after some serious thought, I have decided now is not the right time for me to buy another pipe. However, I most definitely will be buying a Tinsky in the future! Either a blasted billiard or his squat bulldog shape... wish I could justify one now, just can't quite afford it, plus I just bought an Ashton. So... PAD narrowly avoided!

Darn.