tiny house

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
so im going to be liveing in a 128 sqfoot cabin for a while off and on. so whats the smallest space you have ever lived in and do you prefer large or small spaces

I’m currently renting a 440 sq. ft. house from my sis. It’s not really in the same league as the modern tiny home craze. More like an old inlaw suite. Not efficiently designed but it suits my needs. If I was living with someone I would have to have more space but I think it’s an ideal size for one.

Currently living in a 3-bedroom/1.5 bath house now @ 1350 sq ft. Much too large for me but it was an investment. Let' see if it pays off!

I like the idea of a smaller living space. In fact I intend to downsize my living quarters upon retirement. Not sure just how small right now, but a compact 2-bedroom place on a small lot would be all I'd need. Even a 1-bedroom detached house would fit the bill. My first house in Milwaukee, WI was like 950 sq ft and frankly it was too large.

Smaller is better!

Cheers,

RR

i dont know about yall but i feel like we amaricans dont needs alot of space idk all i do is sleep inside i even eat out side coffee out side so ya any ways idk my opionion

Smallest would have to be about 80square feet. Biggest was about 3200 square feet. Currently in about 800 square feet. If its more than one person 600 is about as small as you'll want to go. When I was single 80 feet was huge. I didn't spend much time inside though. I would take off into the bush for a month to a month and a half with just a waterproof canvas tarp, 2 blankets , some very basic cookware and staples and the rest I foraged for or killed. When we were in 3200 it was 12 people crammed in there. Personally I'm quite happy at 800 I don't spend nearly as much time outside anymore because of the cold or the mosquitoes we have here. Last thing I need with my suppressed immune system is West Nile.

128 square feet is going to be tight but you'll find better ways to organize and store things. Which will make things easier. Only essential items and it's a plus if they can be used for more than one thing. Also utilize as much outdoor space as possible.

Jim

arkansaspiper":wl9a8duc said:
i dont know about yall but i feel like we amaricans dont needs alot of space idk all i do is sleep inside i even eat out side coffee out side so ya any ways idk my opionion
I always thought the American footprint was much larger than the rest of the worlds? I’d love to downsize but I doubt it will happen. Did your wife get tired of the rustic life and give you the boot? :shock:

no itll be the 2 of us is 128 sqfoot till i build our bigger cabin and id go for a 2nd wing with a double tower haha and huff great ideas i willl have a 128 sqfoot of over hang as well to work under

Mm, I've lived in a few different abodes. Smallest would be a bivvy bag on the side of a mountain or a snow hole, then there were rooms in the barrack block and the Mess. I now live in my own 1562 Sq ft home in the 'shire. My little piece of England.

I don't understand large houses unless there are a lot of people in them, but I also don't understand, at all, open floor plans. Meaning, my priorities and preferences aren't like many. I prefer small, intimate spaces and privacy. I like walls separating the kitchen from the living room or TV room etc. I don't want to see, but especially don't want to hear, everyone else. If I want to watch what everyone else is doing, I'll go to the mall and listen to the social noise. Not interested in that, in the least, in my personal space. So yeah, I like small houses, or at the very least, small rooms. I'm not sure about square footage. To me, there's a context to that. If I was stuck in 1500ft, it's more than likely I'd only actually use 500ft of it, given that the room designs were to my liking. Which, again, is why I don't understand these big houses as far as living goes. For investment or other things, that's a whole other conversation.

i mean im.not here to put any one down that likes to have a nice big house i get it if you do i am just moveing to a place where there is no power no running water exept a spring and a alot of work to do so why do i need anything i cant plug it in any ways haha

daveinlax":3lz1ci3z said:
arkansaspiper":3lz1ci3z said:
I always thought the American footprint was much larger than the rest of the worlds?
Always though the same.

I need space. I love space. I lived for 25 years in a 900sqft house that felt like the walls were closing in. Last summer we bought a 1900sqft place and I wish we'd have gone bigger...I think I'd need 2500 to be really comfortable. It's not about wanting big or expensive things or "look at my nice new house" at all - just personal comfort. I could retire a lot earlier if I were happy in a small space, that's for sure.

I live in a '50s 3 bedroom track house in my old nieghborhood, It is about 1000 sq.ft. and since it's just me and my kittehs it's MORE than enough room. I only live/use 3 rooms, living, kitchen and master BR. The other two BRs I use for storage. Works for me ! :twisted: