tNd - new member

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tNd

Reaction score
Hello to the forum comunity..... Few words about me :)
I was born in Germany in 1975. I grew up in Croatia where I am living since.
I have a degree in electronic engineering and am working in transformer station maintenance. For years I was interested in hi-fi electronics especially tube electronics and am specialized in audio amplifiers – developing them from scratch into fine pieces of equipment that are able to produce “music” with emotion and accuracy.
During my whole life, from the time I can remember, I was fascinated with pipes and people smoking them. As my family is non-smoking from top to bottom, I consider myself also a non-smoker (even if now I am a pipe smoker now (which is a lot different from cigarette smoking IMHO)).
From time to time, I have been fortunate enough to get the chance to talk with guys that were smoking pipes. I liked it a lot – the smoke, the “ritual” wrapped around it - everything. But, what I liked the most was the sense of piece those guys had while smoking those beautiful pieces of functional art - almost meditative state of mind, so peaceful. Not to mention that pipes are truly a fine pieces of functional art. It was really fascinating for me…
Bit by bit, I was closer to the decision to get me a pipe and a bag of tobacco. What kept me away from it was the price of a good quality pipes.
So, in spring 2010. I got the last kick in my back to finally do something. My cousin from Dallas, TX came for a visit and (imagine that) he is a pipe smoker for years. Talking to him was a kind of small revelation for me and I finally decided to do something about it. I started to scroll through the net to find a nice piece of prebored briar with stem already fitted to make myself my first pipe. A month later – my first pipe was born and to make a long story short - i got hooked to pipesmoking and pipemaking...
Right now, it is a little bit more than a year since i first started and this bug is still here with no intention to leave... :)
So, dear forum members - here I am - found about Brothers of Briar forum and I think it is a perfect place for me to be :)
best regards to everyone here
daniel

Welcome to the forum, it is nice and friendly place, indeed. Let me ask you a question: do the famous Oriental tobacco grow in your Country ? I think that they grow in many places not far from Croatia.

With kindest regards

Jacek in Poland.

Jar - thank you for a welcome message :) - from what i know, most of the tobacco that is growing in Croatia is Virginia..... you will find Oriental tobaccoes in Macedonia mostly... :) (from what i know) :)

- Mea Culpa :) I should not limit my interest to Oriental 'baccys only; I believe that Virginias growing in good climate, soil etc conditions should be a really nice tobacco to blend. I took the liberty to concentrate for a while on this matter as I belong to these who are playing not only with hybrid blends, but also are giving a try to perform in home conditions the whole process of fermentation/blending, starting from dry leaves. Unfortunately Polish Virginia that was really nice tobacco before the WWII has been spoiled by stupidity of administration etc. under our former regime, so what I have been using for my home blending were dry and pressed leaves of Yellow Virginia that I acquired from USA. I do it for fun and sort of satisfaction, as everyday's smoke I enjoy tobaccos that are indicated in my signature and some more.

i think that we are in a similar situation here - Croatia is also a getting to know democracy for not to long time... i use my tobacco 100% ready made - no homemade's :) i am not sure what i will get... but when i try a tobacco and i like it - i try to stick with it :) i am not sure if that can be obtained with homemade tobacco... however, i would be happy to grow some tobacco plants just for fun :) heheheheheh
regards
daniel

Daniel

Welcome to the forum.. I was in Skopie and was only able to find stanwell tobacco.. apprently it's pretty big

Jacek

If your after the Oriental blends contact Abi Natur http://www.canaanpipes.com. He was very helpful on advise prior to my trip

My Favorite tobacco shop is www.falkum.de .. check them out.. they are 99.999% of the time more than helpful and mailing w/in Europe isn't that bad.. when I can't make it to Miltenberg myself I order from them online and get it in a few days

James

@jogilli: thank you, James for your kind suggestions. This contact to
http://www.canaanpipes.com./
looks very interesting.
I should be more specific telling, that what really interests me are tobacco seeds for home /garden planting; I have no problems untill now with getting supply of factory made blends, but it is always good to learn on new sources. Thanks again !

Pleased to see you on BoB. From your introduction, I would think that you have found your path. It is a fascinating journey. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

welcome to the board. Have you ever worked on any ham radio tube stuff. I could probably use the help if you did. ha ha

jogilli":fgft8jv1 said:
Daniel

Welcome to the forum.. I was in Skopie and was only able to find stanwell tobacco.. apprently it's pretty big

Jacek

If your after the Oriental blends contact Abi Natur http://www.canaanpipes.com. He was very helpful on advise prior to my trip

My Favorite tobacco shop is www.falkum.de .. check them out.. they are 99.999% of the time more than helpful and mailing w/in Europe isn't that bad.. when I can't make it to Miltenberg myself I order from them online and get it in a few days

James
Hey James my friend... :)
do not worry - i am covered :) Abi, is allways that way - nice and helpful :) ... great guy...
sorry to hear you have not found any Oriental blends in Skopje but they grew it in Macedonia... probably not sell it arround but the grew it (maybe they are selling it to international tobacco companies (well, they do it for sure)).....
guys - thanks for the greetings messages... feels like home here :)

loneredtree":9cco1ja2 said:
Pleased to see you on BoB. From your introduction, I would think that you have found your path. It is a fascinating journey. :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:
ohhh.. yes for sure... the story goes on and i hope to be able to develop further... :) :) certainly going in that direction... :)

eggman":lzbgwrne said:
welcome to the board. Have you ever worked on any ham radio tube stuff. I could probably use the help if you did. ha ha
errmmmm nope - i was working a lot on tube preamps and amps for high quality home audio systems but on ham radios not... :) radios were not my field of interest...

Welcome! Be sure to post some pictures of the pipes you carved.

thank you Riff Raff ...
oh - i would love to do that - but not sure rigth now where to put them and/or if i may do that - since i am selling some of them from time to time to keep the hobby going