To nog, or not to nog...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncobcon

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Eggnog, that is the question. You either enjoy it or you don't. With Christmas or without? I grew up with eggnog at Christmas time. My Mother would make a huge bowl of it for Christmas day. I've always enjoyed it, especially when it was spiked with a favorite form of booze!
My wife, on the other hand doesn't like it, never did. We didn't have it around while raising the kids, so I had to buy it and spike it myself, just for me. Since the kids grew up, we went back to having eggnog at Christmas. Unfortunately, Mother's old receipe has been lost and I don't want to give it a try, so the store bought stuff will have to do.
How about you, yes or no to egg nog?

Absolutely! Have had eggnog at the holidays for as long as I can remember. Still have to learn how to make the home made stuff, have always done store bought. With or without booze doesn't matter. My only issue with it is that it's not around all year!

Yes to the nog. I like it with or with rum. My dad put bourbon in his. I think my mom still has her moms or grandmother’s recipe for it. I check and see. If she does I’ll post it. But there are all kinds of recipes online.check out all recipes.

I'll drink about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!

swhipple":iuep6rwj said:
I'll about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!
Arrrrrrrrrrr just likes us pirates! Rum be better in ye belly that in the nog Arrrrrrrrrrrr
:drunken:

No to the nog. Too filling.

About the only drink I enjoy with milk in it is an occasional white Russian with homemade Kahlua.

swhipple":skwy9rk0 said:
I'll drink about 1/2 a glass every season, just to be social but I can't say I really like it. I prefer my rum straight up!
This is where I'm at. Makes a good topping for ice cream. I've got some stool stabilizer I have to take with my meds that is similar, but not near as sweet.

Oh I nog alright. I have a recipe for it that supposedly comes from George Washington. If there's any interest I can post it. Lots of booze in it bourbon, rum and congac so it pretty much covers the bases.

Jim

huffelpuff":pf61h6r3 said:
Oh I nog alright. I have a recipe for it that supposedly comes from George Washington. If there's any interest I can post it. Lots of booze in it bourbon, rum and congac so it pretty much covers the bases.

Jim
Yes please

huffelpuff":co41mx4k said:

Jim
Yes please post. I would definitely like to see it

Ok well here it is. I admit I was off on what all is in it as I haven't made it in 3 or 4 years but I had the right general idea. This stuff ages quite well and will keep for an easy 6-8 months.

Jim

“One quart cream, one quart milk, one dozen tablespoons sugar, one pint brandy, ½ pint rye whiskey, ½ pint Jamaica rum, ¼ pint sherry
—mix liquor first,
then separate yolks and whites of 12 eggs,
add sugar to beaten yolks,
mix well.

Add milk and cream, slowly beating.
Beat whites of eggs until stiff and fold slowly into mixture.
Let set in cool place for several days.
Taste frequently.”

Love it! Like Huffelpuf's post above, my mother made it and handed the recipe down to me (written in 1931). However, the number of raw eggs in it does give pause for concern, but only a brief pause. I rationalize the amount of alcohol will take care of it?

Amazing how we can rationalize almost anything we like or want. Reality! I don't need no stinking reality!

Natch