To Take Ze Pipe Apart Or Not; That Is The Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LL":haqbruz3 said:
skaukatt":haqbruz3 said:
Well, if it is as Puff says, LL, we created a good debate, exchange of ideas and opinions and good fodder for discussion - all which make for a good board.

Can we at least agree on that?
Good board? Definitely. Jason and Dock make a good team, and keep this place balanced really well between ASP chaos and SF formality.

Created a good debate, and exchanged ideas and opinions that created good discussion fodder? Not really. The original whether-to-disassemble-or-not is a good (if small) subject, but we didn't talk about that. You merely referred to a pipe that didn't allow a cleaner to pass as having no "alternative" solution, I suggested one, and in the course of what followed you said Castellos, Charatans, and Dunhills were made with the same care/precision/craftsmanship as Barbis, Rasmussens, and Ivarssons.

Nothing to debate or exchange ideas and opinions about, there. Put 'em on a track and race 'em. Set 'em off and see which makes the louder bang. See who can lift the heaviest barbell. Objective things are easily measured.

Unless you hold with some creative interpretation along the lines of imperfection/imprecision/sloppiness "imbue the pipe with the soul of the carver" better, so a sloppy pipe IS better made (I've met a few), the measurements speak for themselves.
I extend an olive branch and you smack my hand. You are not worth a response. I'm done discussing this with you. I respect myself too much to stoop any lower.

The best of the New Year to you, but I'm done with you.

Lou, NY

skaukatt":y3kjk0pg said:
I extend an olive branch and you smack my hand. You are not worth a response. I'm done discussing this with you. I respect myself too much to stoop any lower.

The best of the New Year to you, but I'm done with you.
If "extend an olive branch" was your intent, great. You had only to say so. No need to fluff it up with smiley platitudes and chaff about what's good for the board. I pay attention to---and respond to---what people actually say on forums, because without inflection and body language guessing their intent is a hazardous business.

I have no beef with you, and never have. Today is the first time I've "met" you, in fact, here or anywhere else.

My guess is that you are scarce on the boards because most of your encounters turn out the way this one did. You don't like being challenged, and it quickly becomes a temper/frustration thing when you are.

The cool thing about BoB is that just about everyone here (except for Jason---he gets along with everybody :lol: ), has discovered that the teeth-gnashing/I'm insulted/chest beating stuff is ultimately meaningless in an online environment, and managed to come out the other side intact and smiling. IT'S ONLY A FORUM.

Hermit":9h5425f4 said:
Tastes great...No, less filling!
:lol!:
You realize that anyone born after 1980 or so won't get it, right? :lol:

(It used to be that greater life experience was a Good Thing, but after a certain point it just makes you feel old. Sez me, and I'm entitled to a bum-out moment because I turned 55 today. Never thought I'd last this long.)

LL":fvtc1eev said:
Hermit":fvtc1eev said:

(It used to be that greater life experience was a Good Thing, but after a certain point it just makes you feel old. Sez me, and I'm entitled to a bum-out moment because I turned 55 today. Never thought I'd last this long.)
Oh yeah? Well, Happy Birthday then (and twenty-three skidoo!)

LL":r1pm3sw7 said:
Hermit":r1pm3sw7 said:

Happy birthday LL!!!!

I remember tastes great less filling... I was born in 84.

carry on. :tongue:

Aaron":2rdssv1q said:

WOW! To be born in 84'! :D

My son was born in 85.

I would just like to add, as the originator of this thread, that I found this series of posts EXTEMELY interesting/educational. Even though the original inquiry of taking the pipe apart, or not, was kind of lost in a digressional side discussion, I found the posts most enjoyable -- and I like that about this forum, that there is room to digress, pontificate, wax. Many other forums would not tolerate discussions that are off center from the original topic -- even just a little. So thank you to everyone here, and I hope that no-one here was put off by the debate/spirited discussion. I actually learned more from this series of posts than from most other threads that I have read here. I realize that many members here have a level of understanding/appreciation that I am only now beginning to comprehend. Cheers to all!

Best Regards,

Trout Bum

Justpipes":j1quvqbn said:
Aaron":j1quvqbn said:

WOW! To be born in 84'! :D

My son was born in 85.
My daughter was born in '84.
She was here for Christmas, but she's on her way
back to Dallas. I already miss her and her puppy, Gus.
allida10.jpg

Damn, Hermit! :shock: 8) Good work! Now you're gonna tell us she has a Southern accent, too, I bet.

Sadist.

Trout Bum":v886vock said:
I would just like to add, as the originator of this thread, that I found this series of posts EXTEMELY interesting/educational. Even though the original inquiry of taking the pipe apart, or not, was kind of lost in a digressional side discussion, I found the posts most enjoyable -- and I like that about this forum, that there is room to digress, pontificate, wax. Many other forums would not tolerate discussions that are off center from the original topic -- even just a little. So thank you to everyone here, and I hope that no-one here was put off by the debate/spirited discussion. I actually learned more from this series of posts than from most other threads that I have read here. I realize that many members here have a level of understanding/appreciation that I am only now beginning to comprehend. Cheers to all!

Best Regards,

Trout Bum
Absolutely! I find over-moderated forums kinda tedious.
(Do we even have moderators?) :lol:

LL":zc5tz78s said:
Damn, Hermit! :shock: 8) Good work! Now you're gonna tell us she has a Southern accent, too, I bet.

Sadist.

Born and raised in New Orleans, but she has more
of my mid-western accent than southern.
She's my pride and joy!

She ain't bad... but any woman with a lap dog is automatically dropped 4 points on the 10 point scale.

As to the Mod question. Yes we do, but the hilarious thing is most people don't even know who they are, even though its listed all over the place.

puros_bran":xcdxy4a1 said:
As to the Mod question. Yes we do, but the hilarious thing is most people don't even know who they are, even though its listed all over the place.
That was a joke and a compliment.
Y'all do a fine job!

LL":quq8aow8 said:
Hermit":quq8aow8 said:

Happy Birthday, LL.

Lou, NY

Very nice looking young lady, your daughter is Hermit! :D She must look like her mother!!! :lol:

skaukatt":lswt8pl6 said:
Happy Birthday, LL.

Lou, NY
Thank yew, sorr.

Birthdays sure morph, don't they? From eager anticipation when you're a kid, to shrugging them off (I can even remember a period when I wasn't even sure how old I was without figuring it out), to dreading the little bastards.

The only birthdays that ever got me excited as an adult were my wife's. It was an excuse for me to do Special Stuff and spend money on her that she couldn't refuse. I always used to send a gift to her mother on that day, too, for bringing her into the world.

Trout Bum":hben3x8g said:
A very knowledgable pipester told me he never takes his pipes apart, or does so as little as possible. He does clean them fairly regularly, just doesn't dissassemble them. Of course, this requires a pipe that will pass a cleaner, as most good pipes will. Any of you guys heard of this practice?
I'm from the school of clean your pipe after every smoke unless you plan to fire it back up within 24 hours. I know, it's a long name, for a school, but it gets the job done.

I use tapered, fluffy, BJ Longs and grain alcohol. I'll even bend the cleaner in half to get more scour power for my money. If the cleaner comes out with evidence of tar residue in particle form, I keep doing it until there is the lightest of brown color on the cleaner.

I scrape the inside of the mortise to remove any accumulated tars or fluff that may have been left from a prior cleaning. Then I'll apply a little stem scrub to a dull bit to bring back the luster, put the pipe together after it's dried and give it the once over with a woolen sock that holds the residue of a commercial pipe wax.

Then, I rack the pipe. <g>

Bill Withers
(newest BoB, for the moment)