Tobacco and my ups and downs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MC

Reaction score
Funny how life and tobacco seem to go together. Been away from my pipes for a couple months, never really thought about them. I finally picked one up yesterday and packed a bowl of some flake by the name of Black Woods. The tin was opened 4 months ago however, it was put in a Mason jar, so still nice and moist.

OMG

I guess while my pipes and tobacco were resting waiting for me to return there was a transformation........the tobacco tastes unbelievably better than I remember and the pipes smokes like I paid 5 times as much for it. Now, i'm not saying that some unknown force had something to-do with this but.......perhaps the tobacco gods strikes again.

Oh, I packed is a Duca Carlo Bent Dublin.

There's aerobic and anaerobic activity that affects tobacco. When that tin is sealed airtight and sitting on the shelf for years aging, little microbes are going to work on the tobacco, eating oxygen and expelling CO2. Everyone loves tobacco that has aged in the tin, and for good reason. Just as important is the outgassing and reintroduction of oxygen to a freshly opened tin of tobacco, and a resting period in a sealed container. A few weeks to few months rest in a jar can do amazing things to pipe tobacco, especially after a long nap in it's original tin.

When you start with one of the BEST Va Flakes blended, time only makes it BETTER !! :p 

FWIW, I found that Blackwoods Flake doesn't even need that long. Just two weeks after cracking the seal and she really starts to sing. One of my absolute favorites.