Tobacco Apocalypse Date change possible

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fight'n Hampsters

Reaction score
This is great news for a lot of folks. The 2007 date seemed completely arbitrary other than it would eliminate all competition to big tobacco companies. This also affects pipe makers like me who technically fit the definition of "Other Tobacco Product." Since I started making pipes in 2010 I would no longer be faced with the daunting specter of complying with deeming regulations.

Yup.  Still gonna cellar because it may not pass the through the other bodies (Senate is still left I believe) but It is a few steps in the right direction.  Especially for me since my favorite blends were after 07 but before Aug 16 (Union Square, Embarcadero, Chennet's Cake).

The way I read it, E-Cigs are what is behind the much later date.  Hardly any existed in 07 but most of them now in production were here by 16.

The two articles above are fairly misleading.

https://cigar-coop.com/2017/07/cigar-news-fda-extends-market-approval-date-for-premium-cigars-and-pipe-tobacco-to-august-8-2021.html

The FDA is still shooting for the original date; however, they have decided to postpone enforcing said legislation. Most likely, as the article says, because of the current administration in charge. It's slightly good news either way, I suppose. It will, indeed, weaken their call for the original date, but who knows.