Tobacco choice selection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

JGIORD

Reaction score
I know many here tend to store in bulk, however I used to and now only have a handful of tins on hand. I'm wondering do you generally choose what to smoke based on what fancies you at the time or do you tend to stick with one tin until its finished and then move onto something else? I would feel the latter would allow you to truly get to know the tobacco better.

Thanks

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I'm a moody screw. I can be thinking one thing, and by the time I get to the cave, I'm thinking something else. Honestly, I'm like a child with too many options. It confuses me. I have tens and tens of samples waiting. I have two mainstays. I have a couple old mainstays that are no longer in production, so I reserve those for special occasions. I haven't tried to have so many tobaccos on hand. It just happened. I'd be perfectly content if I only had a couple things at my disposal.

When I first started, I always had 759, Escudo, and Nightcap or 965 on hand. Always had those three. I'd smoke them and then replace them. I did a limited amount of experimenting and kept going to the same tins.

GeoffC

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah this is the definition of 1st world problems . . . as of a year ago . . .

1667654028925.png

JimInks

Reaction score
I always have a bunch of blends open and my choices, outside of reviewing, are generally decided by what I'm in the mood to smoke. I smoke a lot of bowls each day, and unless I am reviewing, I don't repeat a tobacco that day. That keeps me continually interested.

Ol'Dawg

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
When I talked with Alfredo Buscatti in Raleigh Pipe Show about 15 years ago, he suggested to finish a brand new tin never smoked before to make sure it is time to get another one or discard it. He was right! I tried Petersen Irish Whiskey tin and really liked it but the more I smoked it went south and couldn't finish the tin.

Now, I just smoke about three pipes a day and choose what I makes the best taste.

cigrmaster

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
I smoke 4-6 bowls a say and never more than one certain blend per day. I normally have 20-25 tins open at the same time as I enjoy variety. I keep my tobacco fresh with tupperware type containers which keeps the tobacco fresh for a couple of years although I usually finish a tin in a week or two. I have a few bulks I smoke out of that are jarred.
Once I smoke a pipe, I clean the piss out of it and then let is rest a couple of days.

All my blends are either by genres like a straight Virginia/Perique and Vaburs and I also have blends that I only smoke in certain pipes.

ftrplt

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to start the day with Burleys and Ginnyweeds, transitioning to Ginnyweeds and Latweeds in the afternoon; then pretty much all Latweeds by evening time. The ol' cellar contains more than enough jars to provide a deep variety of choices. I keep tellin' myself to pop more tins!! Lordy, I still have many from the 1990's and early 2000's!! FTRPLT

JGIORD

Reaction score
I'm sure I will eventually get back close to that level. Just purchased a few more tins

Dan Pipe - Midnight Ride
C&D Epiphany
Hearth & Home El Nino
Hearth & Home Magnum Opus
C&D First Responders
C&D Billy Budd
C&D Mississippi Mudd
Peterson Early Morning Pipe