Tobacco choice selection

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGIORD

Reaction score
I know many here tend to store in bulk, however I used to and now only have a handful of tins on hand. I'm wondering do you generally choose what to smoke based on what fancies you at the time or do you tend to stick with one tin until its finished and then move onto something else? I would feel the latter would allow you to truly get to know the tobacco better.

Thanks

I'm a moody screw. I can be thinking one thing, and by the time I get to the cave, I'm thinking something else. Honestly, I'm like a child with too many options. It confuses me. I have tens and tens of samples waiting. I have two mainstays. I have a couple old mainstays that are no longer in production, so I reserve those for special occasions. I haven't tried to have so many tobaccos on hand. It just happened. I'd be perfectly content if I only had a couple things at my disposal.

When I first started, I always had 759, Escudo, and Nightcap or 965 on hand. Always had those three. I'd smoke them and then replace them. I did a limited amount of experimenting and kept going to the same tins.

Yeah this is the definition of 1st world problems . . . as of a year ago . . .

1667654028925.png

I always have a bunch of blends open and my choices, outside of reviewing, are generally decided by what I'm in the mood to smoke. I smoke a lot of bowls each day, and unless I am reviewing, I don't repeat a tobacco that day. That keeps me continually interested.

When I talked with Alfredo Buscatti in Raleigh Pipe Show about 15 years ago, he suggested to finish a brand new tin never smoked before to make sure it is time to get another one or discard it. He was right! I tried Petersen Irish Whiskey tin and really liked it but the more I smoked it went south and couldn't finish the tin.

Now, I just smoke about three pipes a day and choose what I makes the best taste.

I smoke 4-6 bowls a say and never more than one certain blend per day. I normally have 20-25 tins open at the same time as I enjoy variety. I keep my tobacco fresh with tupperware type containers which keeps the tobacco fresh for a couple of years although I usually finish a tin in a week or two. I have a few bulks I smoke out of that are jarred.
Once I smoke a pipe, I clean the piss out of it and then let is rest a couple of days.

All my blends are either by genres like a straight Virginia/Perique and Vaburs and I also have blends that I only smoke in certain pipes.

I tend to start the day with Burleys and Ginnyweeds, transitioning to Ginnyweeds and Latweeds in the afternoon; then pretty much all Latweeds by evening time. The ol' cellar contains more than enough jars to provide a deep variety of choices. I keep tellin' myself to pop more tins!! Lordy, I still have many from the 1990's and early 2000's!! FTRPLT

You guys are heavy hitters! I only have 3-4 open tins right now..lol
Same here. My first purchase of "serious" pipe tobacco consisted of one tin each of: Peterson Flake, Escudo Navy, and Orlik Golden sliced.
Initially I loved the Escudo, liked the Orlik, not so fond of the Peterson.
After a year of cellaring the Peterson is now amazing, the Escudo is the same, and the Orlik tastes bitter.
Not sure if it's me or the tobacco!

About 8 tins going here at the moment, some I've filled from bulk jars others are actually what it says on the tin.

Need to get that open tin count down as I'm basically only smoking about 4 to 5 bowls a week currently. I'd've thought with working from home more I'd be smoking more, but work got too busy and I won't smoke in my office due to the expensive electronics in there.

iu

As for what I smoke, it depends on what I feel like smoking at that particular time, hence why so many open tins.

Last edited: